upgrade to fz6?

seanos fz6r

Hi all, I'm thinking of an inexpensive upgrade. My Fz6r is a fantastic bike, but, the Fz6 has more HP, adjustable suspension, revs higher, lighter stronger body??? That is based on my research, I wonder what you guys think. Should I shop around for a good condition, say 2008 Fz6? (I currently have a 2010 Fz6r)
:cool:

yfz6r

What is the fz6r not doing for you that you expect a fz6 to?

If I were in your place and really wanted an upgrade, I'd wait about a year and grab a used fz8. Those bikes are the sh:t

findmadhav

What is the fz6r not doing for you that you expect a fz6 to?

If I were in your place and really wanted an upgrade, I'd wait about a year and grab a used fz8. Those bikes are the sh:t
In terms of upgrade, even though am a loyal Yamaha fan, 2 bikes really interested me - the Honda CBR 600F launched in Europe and then the Kawasaki Ninja 1000. There is an awesome video in Youtube comparing the Ninja 1000, Suzuki GSX1250F and Yamaha FZ1. I though the FZ1 was an awesome bike but the reviews here speak otherwise.
And both the CBR600F and Ninja 1000 are full fairing bikes.

Here is the youtube video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcVe_PIP6hM"]2011 Gentleman's Sportbike Shootout - YouTube[/ame]

yfz6r

Fz1 is an amazing bike. In 2006. Nothing has changed since then besides ecu programming. The ninja 1000 is a 2010 z1000 with fairings. It's a lot more modern than the fz1. The fz8 is a lot of fun. The engine is perfect for the weight of that bike. Everything about it feels super smooth. It's naked though so that turns many Americans off. (I like the look of full fairing but I like riding the full naked). I really want to drive a cb1000r but they aren't seen around my parts. I think Honda did a preorder for them to see how many sales it could generate in the us.
I'm either going for a 2010 z1000 or a fz8 if yammi doesn't have a gen3 fz1 when I'm done with school and the lady gets my 6r.
Rambled a little there. Back to thread topic.

Op, looks like you are in Sydney. Do you have the restricted 6r's? If so be sure and unrestricted it. It's pretty easy.

seanos fz6r

thanks for your thoughts guys, the main thought behind the upgrade was that when I'm hard on the throttle it sometimes cuts out, you can rev this bike hard but I'm curious to see what a bike with more HP rides like. I took the restrictor off a year ago and its only rarely that I want more. The reason for considering the FZ6 is cost - basically a swap. I've ridden a FZ8 and if I had the money that would certainly do the trick power wise.

I'm going to keep an open mind and watch the you tude videos, thanks for the link bro, I thought the Fz6 could be a easy upgrade in power, The Fz6r with its narrower tyres is great in corners, I'm not sure about the wider rear wheel
, also I think our bike looks better.

No way is the Fz6r a let down either, the other day I destrroyed a V8 Monaro, at the lights - he started it :cool:

Last edited:

linkgt

If you're itching for an upgrade, you might as well go all out with an fz1 or a ninja 1000. Comfortable and power behind those two rides. An fz6 is better performance wise(Compared to fz6r), but I wouldn't waste money on that coming from an fz6r.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
Last edited:

Superzoom

I think you should really look at the power curves of the FZ6R vs. FZ6 and see which suits the majority of the riding you do. FZ6R has significantly more low end and midrange. FZ6 is wheezy down low but comes on strong at high revs.

FZ6R power curve is great for the street, in city, sport touring. FZ6 is great for track, aggressive sport touring and sport riding. Not nearly as versatile as FZ6R.

linkgt

Dont forget, you can always upgrade the exhaust and get a Power commander (Marthy's super maps) to get even more out of the fz6r, and it will be less than buying a whole new bike.

Hellgate

I think you should really look at the power curves of the FZ6R vs. FZ6 and see which suits the majority of the riding you do. FZ6R has significantly more low end and midrange. FZ6 is wheezy down low but comes on strong at high revs.

FZ6R power curve is great for the street, in city, sport touring. FZ6 is great for track, aggressive sport touring and sport riding. Not nearly as versatile as FZ6R.
That's funny, an FZ6 great for the track? The Fz6 is really about the same as the 6R, only the 6R doesn't spec as well on paper.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Spunky99

That statement is why I bought the 955i. It has that nice controllable and tractable low end that the FZ6R has but with twice the HP and twice the torque with only around a 14 pound increase in the weight. I liked not having to downshift and rev the crap outta the FZ6R when I needed it to go go. Same for the 955i. The benefit is that I can carry a passenger and still accelerate faster than a single rider FZ6R even uphill. There are faster bikes but not many with the torque at lower RPMs. A Triple Speed has the same basic riding position of the FZ6R.

Superzoom

That's funny, an FZ6 great for the track? The Fz6 is really about the same as the 6R, only the 6R doesn't spec as well on paper.

Different motor, different frame, different suspension, different weight... What is it that makes the FZ6 about the same as the 6R, beyond the name? These are two bikes that were very intentionally built for different purposes, and yes, the FZ6 makes a great track bike.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Hellgate

Agree. Trading a FZ6R for a FZ6 is like trading $1.00 USD for $1.00 CND. At the end of the day it's still a detune 600. Upgrate for a SS or a liter bike like a FZ1 or something like that...
Good analogy! The FZ1 is a great bike, its head and shoulders above the FZ6.

As far as getting stomped by the new Ninja read all of the reviews. The FZ1 beats it in handling. By the time you add R1 forks, and a good shock, you're almost in R1 territory.

seanos fz6r

Dont forget, you can always upgrade the exhaust and get a Power commander (Marthy's super maps) to get even more out of the fz6r, and it will be less than buying a whole new bike.
Thanks, I Like this idea, the truth is the fz6r is heaps of fun and very versatile. I'll definitely check this option out. Bikes in Oz are way overpriced, so a serious upgrade is seriously expensive.