Unable to get into neutral.

BradSPE

So I did a quick search of the forum and couldn't find anything specifically identifying this problem.

I am unable to get the bike into neutral when I am completely stopped while running. It skips from first and goes straight to second no matter how ginger I am on the clutch. I am however, able to get it into neutral when the engine is off. I have attempted to rock it, manipulate the clutch and throttle all to no avail when I am at a complete stop.

Of note I did change to the CNC clutch lever last night and that is when this issue started. I still have the OEM spec'd spacing in the clutch lever.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I can always switch back to the original clutch lever and see if it is an issue then and start from there. Thought I would ask while I am at work and before I get home today and start troubleshooting.

Could this be a sign of a needed oil change? I am at 1500 miles and the oil was changed at 400.

This would not be a huge issue, but when I go through the gate on base, I need both hands and would prefer to keep the bike on to aid in the flow of traffic.

I appreciate it guys.

DragonBlu

Like JT said ,make sure the clutch adjustment is correct. Sounds like it is not releasing all the way.

Reactions: JT

BradSPE

Screw the clutch lever dial out a bit to loosen the clutch up? Is that what you are referring to JT?

Reactions: JT

JSP

Super Moderator
Screw the clutch lever dial out a bit to loosen the clutch up? Is that what you are referring to JT?
Dont just screw it in and out, make sure you are in spec and have the correct amount of slack in your lever.

Lever free-play should be between 10.0-15.0mm (0.39-0.59 inch). This is the amount of movement you should have at the end of your lever. Before you feel resistance of the cable.

I would also change the oil. Not time yet, but changed at 400, still breaking in... I would change again. Oil and clutch free play are the main causes of crappy shifting.

Last edited:

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

xChapterxFourx

I ran into a similar problem with my '12 FZ6R, however it occured during the break-in period, so when I brought it to the dealership for the break-in maintenance I mentioned my issue...they adjusted the clutch and voila, no more problems since then.

BradSPE

I appreciate the help guys! I have the 2011 FZ6R, bought it about 3 months ago with 300 miles on it. The dealer had changed the oil and done the 600 mile check at that time so that it was ready for sale. I have put about 1300 miles or so on it by now.

I adjusted the clutch slightly so that the "free play" was closer to the .59 inch region. Solved the issue from what I can tell. I am able to get her into neutral now with the engine running, still a little more difficult than when the bike is off. I am sure a new oil change will smooth things out the rest of the way.

JSP

Super Moderator
I appreciate the help guys! I have the 2011 FZ6R, bought it about 3 months ago with 300 miles on it. The dealer had changed the oil and done the 600 mile check at that time so that it was ready for sale. I have put about 1300 miles or so on it by now.

I adjusted the clutch slightly so that the "free play" was closer to the .59 inch region. Solved the issue from what I can tell. I am able to get her into neutral now with the engine running, still a little more difficult than when the bike is off. I am sure a new oil change will smooth things out the rest of the way.

Glad it helped!