Turning the "Power Crystal" into a running light

xplodnstar

All I see instead of the Pics are boxes with red X's in them. Right clicking and show pics doesn't do anything either. It figures, sinc I really wanted to do this to my Bike.

RZ350 Rider
Are you checking from work? Do they have PhotoBucket blocked? I used to have the problem at my old job, you may have to wait 'till you're home to see pics.

GoGreen09

Cool project and great writeup Star! I'm a newbie and the FZ6R is my first bike. Doing the mods would be cool so I can learn more about the bike. Definitely going to try some of the mods in the forum. The garage door button's something I really want to do!

xplodnstar

Depends on how good of friends you are with your IT guys. :p

fz6r rider

is there already wiring for the fake button or did you take it out and put a store bought switch in there?

xplodnstar

No wiring to the button. It could be completely removed and affect nothing, except for the ugly hole it would leave.

I basically started from scratch. Wired it to my garage door opener with a switch/button I bought from Radio Shack. I had to shave down the button itself on the inside to fit it.

You could run just about anything there as long as the switch type you use could run as a push button. You might be able to use a toggle switch, but it would look silly sticking out of the ugly hole. :p

Yone

No wiring to the button. It could be completely removed and affect nothing, except for the ugly hole it would leave.

I basically started from scratch. Wired it to my garage door opener with a switch/button I bought from Radio Shack. I had to shave down the button itself on the inside to fit it.

You could run just about anything there as long as the switch type you use could run as a push button. You might be able to use a toggle switch, but it would look silly sticking out of the ugly hole. :p
xplodnstar...what do you mean you had to "shave down the button itself on the inside to fit"? Does that mean the 2 terminals? Or the colored, actual button?

Is everything secure when you remove the sections from the handlebars? I'm worried I'll screw up the turn signal switch or something stupid - that's just my luck!

And do you have any pictures of the switch installed?

THANKS! You do amazing work!

xplodnstar

xplodnstar...what do you mean you had to "shave down the button itself on the inside to fit"? Does that mean the 2 terminals? Or the colored, actual button?

Is everything secure when you remove the sections from the handlebars? I'm worried I'll screw up the turn signal switch or something stupid - that's just my luck!

And do you have any pictures of the switch installed?

THANKS! You do amazing work!
I took the black dummy button out and filed down the back of it with dremmel. I also opened up the hallow of the button so the switch would fit right on top of it. I did not modify the switch itself, other than gluing the button to it.

The internals of the housing are fairly secure when you take it off. As long as you don't go and drop it to the ground, everything should stay in place.

I don't have pictures of the internal installation, just the outside of the end result, which doesn't look any different than stock. I won't be able to get any internal shots up for a few weeks.

You're welcome, and THANK YOU.

Let me know if you have other questions. I'll do my best to describe.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
So I have a question for you.

You glued the dummy button onto the RadioShack switch. But what did you attach the switch body to in order to keep it from moving when you push the button? Are the internals tight enough that it won't move, allowing the button to be depressed?

:confused:

xplodnstar

So I have a question for you.

You glued the dummy button onto the RadioShack switch. But what did you attach the switch body to in order to keep it from moving when you push the button? Are the internals tight enough that it won't move, allowing the button to be depressed?

:confused:
As I recall, yes, the space was just enough to fit it, and hold it in.

It may come down to me having to re-open the housing and take pics of the internals just to remember everything again, but I can't do that until I get the bike back from Corbin.

Tmak73

Thought this would be appropriate seeing as I added my own LED running lights. I think the OP's look better since they are inside the housing but I put these just around the outside the housing and I am sure I have posted it somewhere else before. Anyways.. here it is again.

Attachments

BoneJj

you can easily fit some high powered LED in that area.

You could do a custom board with some lumiled superflux LEDs or some 5050 RGBs and go to town with those. Plenty of options.

Macklinator

Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but I had a question in regards to adding a light to the crystal.
Would it be possible to drill through the back without taking the entire light apart, and then attaching the light to the back of the housing? I really like the idea of using a portion of the bike that already has the reflector set up, especially if the European models have a light there.
What diameter would the light have to be in order to be attached from the back?

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member