Transporting Rifle on my FZ6R

2011FZ6R

So this might be an odd question, but how would I go about riding to the range with my Mosin Nagant? Now keep in mind this rifle is about 49" long. I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money on some special case or rack or anything, just a safe, easy way to carry my rifle to and from. Any ideas?

Here's how I did it!

uploadfromtaptalk1348083400531.jpg

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Any weird looks? Get pulled over at all? I want to make sure I'm doing everything legally before I take it anywhere

Check you local laws but most states don't have much regulations regarding transport of long guns so if you have a good strap you could wear it or do what he did

CARRYING
Unless covered under the exceptions, it is unlawful to openly carry on or about the person any firearm, or to carry a concealed firearm on or about the person without a license.
Exceptions:
1. Persons having firearms at their home or place of business.
2. Enrolled members of clubs organized for target, skeet, or trapshooting, while at, or going to or from shooting practice.
3. Members of clubs organized for collecting antique or modern firearms while at or going to or from exhibitions.
4. Persons engaged in fishing, camping or hunting and while going to or from such activity.
5. Persons engaged in target shooting under safe conditions and in a safe place or while going to or from such place.
6. Persons who are firing weapons for target practice in a safe and secure indoor range.
7. Persons traveling by private conveyance if the weapon is securely encased, or in a public conveyance if the weapon is securely encased and not in the person’s manual possession.
8. Persons carrying a pistol unloaded and in a secure wrapper from place of purchase to their home or to a place of repair and back.
9. Persons engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing or dealing in firearms.
10. Military, law enforcement personnel and private guards while so employed.

So basically I can just do what vengeur did there right? I don't think I can strap it to my back seeing as that would be openly carrying it.

CARRYING
Unless covered under the exceptions, it is unlawful to openly carry on or about the person any firearm, or to carry a concealed firearm on or about the person without a license.
Exceptions:
1. Persons having firearms at their home or place of business.
2. Enrolled members of clubs organized for target, skeet, or trapshooting, while at, or going to or from shooting practice.
3. Members of clubs organized for collecting antique or modern firearms while at or going to or from exhibitions.
4. Persons engaged in fishing, camping or hunting and while going to or from such activity.
5. Persons engaged in target shooting under safe conditions and in a safe place or while going to or from such place.
6. Persons who are firing weapons for target practice in a safe and secure indoor range.
7. Persons traveling by private conveyance if the weapon is securely encased, or in a public conveyance if the weapon is securely encased and not in the person’s manual possession.
8. Persons carrying a pistol unloaded and in a secure wrapper from place of purchase to their home or to a place of repair and back.
9. Persons engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing or dealing in firearms.
10. Military, law enforcement personnel and private guards while so employed.

So basically I can just do what vengeur did there right? I don't think I can strap it to my back seeing as that would be openly carrying it.

Are you sure those are not pistol regs?

I would transport it in the case, unloaded, and with the ammo in a separate bag (if possible). I don't know if I got any weird looks, it was dark as I was heading out to the blind. :D

As the bike is your vehicle, I think if you do the above, you should be alright. If you do get stopped, just be polite and ask them to explain the EXACT statutes for you being pulled over.

Just found this for FL

Open carry when on foot in a public area is generally not licensed, but is allowed in certain circumstances, as defined in Florida statute 790.25(3). For example, open carry is licensed while hunting, fishing, or camping, or while target shooting, or while going to or from such activities.[3] When hunting on private land, or on properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Division of Forestry, open carry is also licenseted.

State preemption laws prohibit localities from regulating firearms, other than with regards to zoning laws (i.e., for restricting where gun sellers may locate their businesses.)

It says open carry is allowed while traveling to a location where you intend to shoot, with no license required which is fairly common with long guns

And #7 says the same thing pretty much under the exceptions you posted

If you have any other questions maybe someone from Florida can answer or try and call your local pd

Last edited:
I saw that too, but if you read carefully it says "when on foot in a public area"

#7 as well as #5 under the exceptions says its ok to travel with it in the open

FL is pretty laid back on gun laws very similar to GA it's always better to have it in a case but that can get aggravating on a bike, I've had my rifle strapped to my back for 2hrs heading to my hunting property before with no issues but this is ga

That would be the best thing to do because often with guns and bikes the officers don't know the exact laws and might interpret them differently, and since they would be the ones who would pull you over its best to know what they think.

Just be a bad-a$$ like this guy and no1 will mess with you :cool:
terminator2.jpg

You can also transport your bow...

uploadfromtaptalk1348611295189.jpg

I would transport it in the case, unloaded, and with the ammo in a separate bag (if possible). I don't know if I got any weird looks, it was dark as I was heading out to the blind. :D

As the bike is your vehicle, I think if you do the above, you should be alright. If you do get stopped, just be polite and ask them to explain the EXACT statutes for you being pulled over.

The real question is....would you do this if you were back up in Illinois? :eek:
When I rode to go hunting, I left my gun/bow at our farm so I wouldn't need to carry it all.

I wouldn't even think about it in Illinois.

Well, as my only transportation, the bike does it all. As long as I'm traveling, the transport of firearms and weapons is governed by the federal transport laws, minus the ridiculous local laws of Chicago. At least that's how I understand it.

The real trick will be figuring out where the deer or hog goes when I harvest one. :eyebrow:

Last edited:

Back