track-only bike?

Fenixgoon

hey guys, so a coworker of mine is about to retire and has a couple of bikes he no longer rides.

one of them is a honda cbr600 F4i. i was thinking about picking this up as a track only bike (note: i have not done any track days yet). this would leave the FZ6R to be purely a street bike, which would be kinda nice not having to swap tires, worry about maintenance as much, etc.

what do you guys think? and how much would an F4i be worth? a couple of people told me that they're not really worth more than ~3k or so, simply because GSXR/cbr600/R6 prices drop so fast.

Sparkxx1

hey guys, so a coworker of mine is about to retire and has a couple of bikes he no longer rides.

one of them is a honda cbr600 F4i. i was thinking about picking this up as a track only bike (note: i have not done any track days yet). this would leave the FZ6R to be purely a street bike, which would be kinda nice not having to swap tires, worry about maintenance as much, etc.

what do you guys think? and how much would an F4i be worth? a couple of people told me that they're not really worth more than ~3k or so, simply because GSXR/cbr600/R6 prices drop so fast.
I plan on doing the same thing, but honestly I want an SV650 as a track bike. From what I've seen and heard, there is a ton of parts out there and they make great track bikes. I heard the F4i is a great bike though, there is that guy that has gone 200k+ miles on his F4i

Detrich

Should be a great idea for track I think

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

MikeN02

Like the others have said the F4i is a great bike. Price wise that sounds about right. My buddy picked up an F4i with 10k miles for $3.5k USD.

A lot of people still love the F4i but with the RR (race ready) replacing it in 06 with more of an aggressive style.

Still kind of miss my FZ6-R. Great communter bike, the upright position I can go for hours.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

iSpoolin

That would be a great track bike!

I myself will be picking up a second Daytona for a track conversion here soon, I don't want to take my only bike to the track. To afraid i'll fuck up LOL

yfz6r

Could be cheaper to buy a wrecked bike and track it out. There's always a busted up bike that just needs fairings and a tank for about 1k in my area. If I had a track around, I would want something like that and just get some scuffed up fairings to put on so I wouldn't have to worry about damaging anything at the track.

I'm a huge cheap a$$ though. If you think the f4i is right for you and you're financially stable it may be perfect for you

Hellgate

I'd suggest buying a bike that is all ready set up for the track. Check the various race club forums and you'll find some great deals.

My R6 was a former AMA Pro SS bike. All of the mods would have cost about $17,000. I paid $3,000 for the bike.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

JSP

Super Moderator
I'd suggest buying a bike that is all ready set up for the track. Check the various race club forums and you'll find some great deals.

My R6 was a former AMA Pro SS bike. All of the mods would have cost about $17,000. I paid $3,000 for the bike.

+1

The amount of money you will be doing to it, suspension, track plastics, track requirements, performance, etc will add up quick.

You can find used track bikes for cheap that have most everything on them already.

Fenixgoon

+1

The amount of money you will be doing to it, suspension, track plastics, track requirements, performance, etc will add up quick.

You can find used track bikes for cheap that have most everything on them already.

that's a great idea, what forums do you guys suggest i check out? the only one i can think of offhand is weraforums.

Heineken

Elite Member

Hellgate

There's a bunch of sites.

WERA has the most. Other clubs are CMRA, MRA, AFM, NESBA, Oregon, New Mexico. I found mine on the Utah club site.

Fenixgoon

There's a bunch of sites.

WERA has the most. Other clubs are CMRA, MRA, AFM, NESBA, Oregon, New Mexico. I found mine on the Utah club site.

Any particular suggestions? Found an '03 ZX6RR (race prepped) for $2500!:eek:

i could have the dude ship it to me for like $1k and i'd still come out like a bandit!:eek::eek:

Hellgate

Any particular suggestions? Found an '03 ZX6RR (race prepped) for $2500!:eek:

i could have the dude ship it to me for like $1k and i'd still come out like a bandit!:eek::eek:
I found the R6 and Honda's then to command a higher price than Kawi and Suzi.

For shipping pay no more than $500 to $600. Check out U Ship and have shippers bid on it.

Also, bikes with a clean title will be a little more than bikes with salvage or no title.

With Christmas coming keep looking. Further into winter usually the better the price.

Don't fall in love with the first one. There is always another.

Sounds like you're having fun.

Fenixgoon

I found the R6 and Honda's then to command a higher price than Kawi and Suzi.

For shipping pay no more than $500 to $600. Check out U Ship and have shippers bid on it.

Also, bikes with a clean title will be a little more than bikes with salvage or no title.

With Christmas coming keep looking. Further into winter usually the better the price.

Don't fall in love with the first one. There is always another.

Sounds like you're having fun.

it's lots of fun :D:D:D i just can't believe how cheap race-prepped bikes are!

Hellgate

it's lots of fun :D:D:D i just can't believe how cheap race-prepped bikes are!
Amazing huh? If I'd built my bike new, from scratch it would have cost over $30,000! Yikes!

A clean prepped bike is a deal, and cheaper than crashing your nice street bike.

Also budget about $2,000 or so to sortthe bike out.

Tires, oil, filters, small parts, tuning, etc.