Tire Wear

JSP

Super Moderator
That is scary. Definitely do not ride on that tire.

And yes... a little over 2k is way too soon to show that kind of wear. Keep an eye on your psi from now on. Or it was a defective tire...

Dirtyboy333

Well, got it replaced with a shinko. I'll keep my eye on the psi and see how this one does. It's a 160/60/17 as well but damn it looks skinnier than the Dunlop. Idk.
Tire was $119 and it took them forever (it seemed) to replace that tire and was charged a total of $200. I was expecting like $160ish.

Lastly, I noticed a few weeks ago and still today that if I hold the front brake in either push decently hard on the front forks or rock the bike front to back with the front brake on I feel a little "hitch"in the forks. Kind of like something is loose but it's very minor. At first I thought maybe a fork bushing was getting old but if I do the same motion with the rear brake on and compress the front forks it is smooth as butter with no "click" noise. Also, if I press the front tire up against a wall and compress the front forks it does not make the noise either. I felt the front brake calipers and I noticed if you pull any direction there is a little bit of play built in with the grommets. And I'm wondering if that is the noise I'm hearing when I compress the front forks with medium force with the front brakes on? Maybe the brake calipers or gripping and slightly moving and making a noise. I don't know but its only done with the front brakes on. All the bolts on the calipers are tight. Do you guys have any idea or any of you had the same little noise when depressing your forks? I'm hoping the grommets that are holding the brake bolts are just "breaking in" and it's all normal.

Thank you

Last edited:

latony007

Hey guys, new to the forum but have been reading for a while.

Have 2,300 miles on my new (ish) FZ6r and my back tire is beat. I have never peeled out/burnt tire, never a "track day" and rarely ever skid the rear tire. I do go through the gears a lil hard but nothing dramatic. I've never even redlined the bike yet. 90% of the miles are my 20 mile (one-way) commute to work and back. I do drive pretty fast which I'm getting over and starting to slow down. Due to the HUGE shale natural gas boom in my area SW PA, the trucks are tearing the roads up and there all patched up. With that said, my commute really isn't that rough and I usually avoid any patches. Also, my front tire is great so I don't think it's the roads.

Anyway, here's some pics of my Dunlop roadsmarts. Let me know if this is at all common or do I have something seriously wrong with my bike?

@1,700 miles:

FRONT:

@2,300 miles:

Also, are the roads smarts considered racing tires or touring or what?
i cant see the pictures but how "newish" is your fz6r? Could these tires been sitting outside a long time and thats why they are wearing so fast? i have about 5k on my stocks and they look like they can go another 3 or 4 easy. Im going to check out these shinkos i was pretty set on michellin road pilots when i go to replace but you got me thinking.

Dirtyboy333

i cant see the pictures but how "newish" is your fz6r? Could these tires been sitting outside a long time and thats why they are wearing so fast? i have about 5k on my stocks and they look like they can go another 3 or 4 easy. Im going to check out these shinkos i was pretty set on michellin road pilots when i go to replace but you got me thinking.

It's a '13 and it was spotless and clean inside the showroom with about 7-8 other 6r's.

I just got that shinko podium yesterday and took it for a spirited ride last night. I was not expecting it to perform with the Dunlops because Dunlop is a good name. But to my surprise I instantly noticed a difference in handling and how quick you could get into a turn it was crazy. I don't know how long they will last but handling and stability characteristics are great. my bike is definitely more responsive with that shinko on it. Also, as funny as it sounds, it feels like it accelerates much more smoothly and quicker because that particular tire has less rotational mass and it just feels lighter on the backend. The only downside so far is that it definitely does not look near as sexy as the Dunlop. It almost looks too thin but I think that may be the weird tread pattern of that particular model of Shinko.

I forgot to add that when leaning into a turn with this new rear tire and the stock front Dunlop I get a weird sensation and feels like the back end of my bike is trying to pull through the turn a lot quicker than the front. I don't know the physics behind this but it's def. something I'm going to have to get used to.

SixRFixR

New tires are always going to turn in quicker no matter what the brand. What psi did you find in your old ones? Were they close to 33/36? I think your rapid wear is coming from quick starts off the line. There's not quite enough power to spin the rear wheel, but I bet you're leaving some rubber behind at every light.

Bert-Aus

There is always enough power to spin the rear,
On the odd occasion that I wanted it too,
I could powerslide my XJ6, not massively but enough.

That turning sensation you are feeling, where the front doesnt seem to turn as much as the rear.
It may be understeer due to differences in grip between a worn front & fresh rear.
But then sometimes if you dont look through the corner enough (& sight the exit point) you can experience a running wide sensation.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Dirtyboy333

Thanks guys for the help.

I really wanted to but I was in such a hurry to get my tire changed I did not get to check on that PSI for the rear. Although, touching it to the hand felt okay if that is any indication. What I mean is that the sidewalls felt stiff and when kicking the tire it felt normal and hard. I realize that with motorcycle tires it can be deceiving.