Tire Pressure Help

PWJ

Okay everyone I have a question here. Since I ride solo and I weight 190 pounds without gear here is my dilemma. The tire pressure reading says 36 front 42 rear if you weight 198 pounds. Now with gear on I cannot imagine I weight more than 200 pounds. I have put on the two bros which shaves off 10 pounds and taken off the rear fender and ais system which is probably another 5 pounds tops. So theoretically I weight with gear on no more than 190 pounds again. Now the manual stated to have 33 in the front And 36 in the rear if you weight under 198 pounds which putting all into consideration I do now. It also says that for high speed driving keep the psi at 36 front and 42 rear. Has anyone played with this setting? Am I not supposed to drive over 100 mph on the low pressure setting? Also I am concentrating now on getting ride of my chicken strips so I want to make sure I am setting the tire pressure correctly. Let me know what you guys think on this matter.

MikeN02

I think you are over thinking it a little.

For the R6, we are supposed to run 36 front and rear. Some of the track users run it a little bit lower than that (I'm guessing so the tire can grip better) but you won't get as great gas mileage.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Spunky99

I do 39F and 38R with stiff as heck Racetech suspension and Metzler Interact tires and I'm at 210 with gear.

If I'm on a track, I drop the pressure 2 pounds for better grip.

elishatarvin

I think you are over thinking it a little.

For the R6, we are supposed to run 36 front and rear. Some of the track users run it a little bit lower than that (I'm guessing so the tire can grip better) but you won't get as great gas mileage.
Tire pressure is also something you'll learn to feel too. If I'm commuting, I like to keep mine 42 rear, 40 front. If I'm riding hard, I keep them at 37R/35F. I'm 225 and have shaved a bunch of weight off the bike as well.

Also, you mentioned concentrating on getting rid of chicken strips. Please visit this thread and read through it carefully. http://www.600cc.org/forum/f68/keep-these-mind-when-trying-get-rid-chicken-strips-20105/
I do 39F and 38R with stiff as heck Racetech suspension and Metzler Interact tires and I'm at 210 with gear.

If I'm on a track, I drop the pressure 2 pounds for better grip.

moral of the story...everyone is different. just try out different pressures and u will find one u like the best

CDN6R

OK,, I was talking to a long time motorcyclist and I was told that if I put Nitrogen in my tires instead of regular air my bike will handle differently and much better.....thoughts? Laurie

MikeN02

OK,, I was talking to a long time motorcyclist and I was told that if I put Nitrogen in my tires instead of regular air my bike will handle differently and much better.....thoughts? Laurie
Depends, I've heard of this as well in cars.

I know the new GT-R (Nissan Skyline) run Nitrogen in the tires as it's a lighter gas than oxygen as well.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member