Tire is slanted/bent?

MikeN02

Not really a FZ6-R but my R6, but bikes in general.

Went down a couple of weeks ago and trying to repair my R6, noticed that the forks are pretty much straight, just that the tire is bent/slanted to the left a little.

When I looked closer, it WAS the case as the tire was rubbing on the front tire fender.

Any idea how I can fix this? Can I do it myself or do I have to take it to a shop?

Is it just take off the wheel, and replace the hex bolt that is probably bent?

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I'd check the fender first to see if it's out of place. The next place to look at is the axle bolt.

JonKerr

Elite Member

MikeN02

Added some pictures for you all to see, this is with the handlebars at an even angle "straight"

The wheel is bent towards the left.

Spunky99

This is common as dirt for motorcycles and bicycles.

loosen the bolts that hold the fork tubes on the triple tree....there are most likely 4 bolts. Only loosen them a little and either have someone put the wheel between his legs or between something and push the handlebars until the tire is straight. Then tighten up the bolts again.

I've done this a million times on bicycles and dirt bikes.

If you want to, put a stand under the front frame area to raise the front tire off the ground so the forks cannot slip up through the triple clamps.

Roaddawg

Is one of the shock tubes slightly up higher than the other causing the twist? I would make sure they are aligned equally.

MikeN02

This is common as dirt for motorcycles and bicycles.

loosen the bolts that hold the fork tubes on the triple tree....there are most likely 4 bolts. Only loosen them a little and either have someone put the wheel between his legs or between something and push the handlebars until the tire is straight. Then tighten up the bolts again.

I've done this a million times on bicycles and dirt bikes.

If you want to, put a stand under the front frame area to raise the front tire off the ground so the forks cannot slip up through the triple clamps.
So loosen up the top (near the handlebars) and the bottom of the tripple tree?

Spunky99

yes.....you onlu need to losen it a little.
If ya loosen it too far, the weight of the bike will drop the bike and the tubes will be sticking up like Kayatusha rockets ready for launch.

It's just out of alignment Bro...

MikeN02

yes.....you onlu need to losen it a little.
If ya loosen it too far, the weight of the bike will drop the bike and the tubes will be sticking up like Kayatusha rockets ready for launch.

It's just out of alignment Bro...
lol Kayatusha, I gotta remember that.

Guy on the R6 forum looked at the pictures and says my rotor is bent pretty good as well... I know my radiator is jammed to the side a bit but I don't think it will run into any problems will it?

Spunky99

I can't see anything good or bad about either the rotors or the radiator.
The bracket holding the radiator can be straightened or he radiator repositioned I think.
The rotors should not have been bent in a laydown. Soes she roll OK?
If the rotor ws bent, there is no way it would roll....unless you unbolted the caliper...LOL

MikeN02

I can't see anything good or bad about either the rotors or the radiator.
The bracket holding the radiator can be straightened or he radiator repositioned I think.
The rotors should not have been bent in a laydown. Soes she roll OK?
If the rotor ws bent, there is no way it would roll....unless you unbolted the caliper...LOL
Everything is fine, but I don't know what the other guy is talking about. He's going to be in orlando for a stunt show so he'll stop by to look at the bike tomorrow.

When I rode it home after the accident everything seemed fine except the obvious such as the wheel slanted, the fairings and light.

She rolls fine pretty much, the bike's worst damage is to the right side only, the side fairings are in tact and in good shape except for a few scratches, the left side barely has anything done to it.

Other thing near the front is that the bracket that has a tab sticking out of it to stop the handlebars from turning all the way is broken off but the other side is fine.

Spunky99

You can buy a new lower triple with a stopper, have a bead welded on the old one and machined or leave it. The first thing I look for in a used bike is or the stoppers....Dude always says it was never dropped and I ask...then what happened to the stopper? left off at the factory I guess?

or snapped off while launching a Kayatusha......LOL

MikeN02

You can buy a new lower triple with a stopper, have a bead welded on the old one and machined or leave it. The first thing I look for in a used bike is or the stoppers....Dude always says it was never dropped and I ask...then what happened to the stopper? left off at the factory I guess?

or snapped off while launching a Kayatusha......LOL
lol yeah, more of likely i'm going to leave it. Doesn't really affect anything.

MikeN02

Loosen all of the nuts/hex bolts that are around the triple tree and clip-on handlebars.

Put my legs between the front tire and tried to turn it but the thing wouldn't budge! and so I just took off all of the bolts and it still wouldn't go straight.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
I'd remove the front wheel and then take the forks out. Check to see that they are true, not bent. Then, check the axle. Take the wheel on the axle in your hands and spin it on the floor and lift to watch it rotate. OF the rim shows wobble, you need a new rim. Same for the rotors if they are wobbling.

If there is no wobble, you can put the forks back in but do not tighten them yet. Put the wheel and axle on and check for free spin. If all is good, now measure and tighten the forks using the lower triple only. Spin and check for true. All good? Tighten the top triple and check once again. Still good? Put the brake calipers back on and check for spin again. Make sure the rotors are not rubbing, catching and stopping the wheel's free spin.

Important!!! Don't squeeze the front brakes with the calipers off the front! AND, after installing them, be SURE to pump the front brakes many times to insure they work properly before every riding off with the bike. :D

MikeN02

I'd remove the front wheel and then take the forks out. Check to see that they are true, not bent. Then, check the axle. Take the wheel on the axle in your hands and spin it on the floor and lift to watch it rotate. OF the rim shows wobble, you need a new rim. Same for the rotors if they are wobbling.

If there is no wobble, you can put the forks back in but do not tighten them yet. Put the wheel and axle on and check for free spin. If all is good, now measure and tighten the forks using the lower triple only. Spin and check for true. All good? Tighten the top triple and check once again. Still good? Put the brake calipers back on and check for spin again. Make sure the rotors are not rubbing, catching and stopping the wheel's free spin.

Important!!! Don't squeeze the front brakes with the calipers off the front! AND, after installing them, be SURE to pump the front brakes many times to insure they work properly before every riding off with the bike. :D
Ran into the issue of, not having anything to hold the front of the bike to get the wheel off...

I would order the T-Rex front stand but it'll take a couple days to get here.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
What is holding the bike up in the pic?

You can always use two 1 gallon paint cans and a board on top of them. Have you and a friend lift the front of the bike and a third person slide these under the headers.

Hope you get it sorted soon!

MikeN02

What is holding the bike up in the pic?

You can always use two 1 gallon paint cans and a board on top of them. Have you and a friend lift the front of the bike and a third person slide these under the headers.

Hope you get it sorted soon!
It's either on the rear stand or the kickstand.

If I put the board under the bike how will it be balanced? I don't really want to have my friends keep holding the bike. Don't really like to bother people about my stuff.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Well, if you have a rear stand, it will balance on that. Think of the cans/board as the front wheel replacement? Another option is three cement blocks and a longer plank. Put the blocks end to end with a board on top and then use traps to wrap around the board and last hole out on the blocks to either side. Cinch them until the bike is stable.