Throttle Signal Position

DubiousDrummer

Hey,

I have an idea for a pretty sick mod that I need to test out. It will only be for looks, not for better performance, and I don't want to say what exactly it is until I find out whether or not it will work. But for now, I have one quick question.

From what I can tell, the twist on the throttle sends an electrical signal to the ECU, and based on the voltage of the electrical signal (between 0-5V based on throttle position), the ECU sends a signal to the tank which delivers gas from the tank into the engine. Is this correct?

And if so, which wire is this? I've been looking at different wiring diagrams and trying to follow the ones on my bike, but it seems like there are about six wires that run from the throttle to the tank, and I'm not sure which is the signal wire.

Let me know what you know. Thanks. :D

Chevyfazer

The throttle itself is cable driven, I think what you are referring to or thinking of is the TPS. The throttle position sensor.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Michael Wilson

I agree with marthy. Messing with that will probably just cost you extra money for having to replace itt

JSP

Super Moderator
Wait, wait.... I know what you are trying to do! You are trying to wire into the TPS wire so you can have the varying voltage at the touch of your wrist. You are going to wire in a small speaker that will scream WOOOO HOOOOOO once the voltage hits at WOT. :D

:justkidding:

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

motoguy82

if you need an indicator to tell you that you're wide open, you probably deserve to run into something when you're staring at it instead of the road...

Nyuu

I think it'd be used for aesthetics, not as an indicator.

For example...

Have a string of LEDs on both sides of the bike fairings. As you increase throttle, the first LED lights up, then the second, then the third, and so on. So the faster you go, the more lights on the side light up in succession. It might look kind of sweet.

That's just my guess though.

DubiousDrummer

I was thinking LED insted of speakers. sounds cool but may be very dificult to accomplish
Right on the money, man. I want to install a string of red LEDs right inside the fairings on both sides that will be activated by the amount of voltage that is produced by the throttle. I got the idea after wiring LEDs into my buddy's subwoofer wire and watching them produce more and less light with the sound of the bass.

But as Marthy said, one of my fears is that if I pull even the slightest amount of electricity from this, it will prevent my throttle from accurately pushing gas into the engine. I'm going to toy with it this weekend. I'll be careful, and keep you all posted. :cool:

FitZ6R

But as Marthy said, one of my fears is that if I pull even the slightest amount of electricity from this, it will prevent my throttle from accurately pushing gas into the engine.
Yeah, you definitely need a high impedance buffer in the circuit.

Now I'm thinking about trying this.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

jmlevy85

Two options

First, would be to use a transistor to control the circuit...this will not draw any power off of the originial circuit but will just act as your on off switch. When power engages through the throttle circuit it will tell the other circuit to run power as well. Now to get the varying voltage and lights to work that is a little tougher...You will need some sort of controller to tell the leds when to turn on one light and when to turn two and so forth...doable on your own but you have to be a little tech savy

Now another option that is a little easier would be that all the leds come on but they get brighter as you apply more throttle...this can be done with a potentiometer...this will allow for a range of voltage to run to the leds and allowing for different brightness. Make sure to use leds that can do that...because leds are a diode and run on super low voltage to begin with they tend to be just on or off...the final problem is mounting the potentiometer...Ideally it would go either on the throttle or incorporate into the tps somehow...there might be a way to build a custom one that would work

I agree with spider2k.

Use an Arduino board. I would look into sensing the tachometer output with one of the A/D channels, then you can drive your LEDS with one/many digital outputs. Programming is really easy too. There are lots of samples to guide you :)

Here is one board that would work. http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardNano.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

UselessPickles

If the FZ6R's electronics system is anything like the FJR, then there is no analog tachometer signal. I had to use the camshaft position sensor for a project on my FJR (read about it here; fun pictures/details later in the thread). It's not a trivial signal to use because it's simply a pulse every 2 rotations of the engine. Depending on the hardware you use (limitations in speed/sizes of timers and counters, etc), it can require some tricky use of counters and timers to convert that signal to an RPM value, as well as a good understanding of how to write good interrupt-driven code.

It's even trickier if you want a relatively "clean" representation of the engine speed. The calculated engine speed while riding at a steady speed can actually vary more than you might expect between pulses of the camshaft. This was quite a problem for me because I am using the engine speed and throttle position to detect when I'm steadily cruising, and I want to detect that I'm no longer cruising as immediately as possible when the RPM or throttle changes, but I can't have false positives.

This stuff is pretty fun, but I would definitely not describe it as "easy to program". Arduino may be "easy to program" if you are doing simple stuff that is already directly supported by its libraries, or if there are already examples, but microcontroller programming in general is definitely more challenging than general purpose computer programming due to the very tight limitations.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member