Thoughts on bike's power

yellowFZ6r

Guys,
I have had my 6R for about 1.5 months now and am still breaking it in. i really dont run it past 6000 RPM, but it just feels slower to me than it did when I first got it. Could it be that I am just getting used to it, or could something be wrong with the bike itself. By the way, the bike is new. I just remember when I first got it flooring it to 6K seemed very quick to me, and now it seems like nothing (very slow). I'd like to know what ya'lls opinions are.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

You get used to it very quickly. Redlining first, second, third, and fourth doesn't seem nearly as terrifying anymore. BTW, the bike doesn't make any useful power before 6k.

Lefty

You get used to the bike's power and then want more, it's always the way. It's a great bike and sometimes I wish it had more power, but it was within budget and quick enough for me for the next couple of years. I drove my cruiser the other day and then went back to my FZ6R and noticed a big difference and forgot how quick the FZ6R is (compared to the cruiser).

kevin8198

Elite Member

iSpoolin

Your just used to it. Dont worry about the speed, go hit some corners! That'll remind you how quick it is real fast!

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member
Last edited:

yellowFZ6r

I agree with everything you all have said, and I'm sure that's all it is. I'm pretty positive that after I break it in completely I'll notice a huge difference, just not sure I can wait until I get to 1,000 miles :). Thanks for all the advice fellas!

Fizzer6R

call me crazy, the bike's engine is broken in, rev it to redline, won't hurt a thing

yellowFZ6r

No I am only at 550 miles, I said I couldnt wait to get to 1,000 miles so I can open it up! Only another 550 to go!! LOL

onegin

I am at 1500 mi... she definitely got stronger past 500/600 mi range... considerably. Likely though I just started opening it up more and more.

+1 on getting used the power, but nothing like taking off at the line and shifting at that magical 9k range, the bike really pulls! But yes, on the highway i've more than once opened her full throttle and did wish it has that extra gear (that was in tripple digits tho, so I am kind of glad it doesn't have that extra gear :))

Grumpy

I'm sure your just getting used to the bike's power within the the rpm rage you are using. My M3 had a very rigorous break-in period and the car felt slow after a while as well until I could take her up to the 9k redline.

I commute every day (non highway) and the bike has enough go you buzz around traffic and get out of jams.

I did take it out for a longer cruise over the weekend on state highways and did find that 6th gear was a little week at 65 mph. Simple down shift and away you go :D

Oh, I only have 300 miles on the bike. :p

Cheers!

JSP

Super Moderator
No I am only at 550 miles, I said I couldnt wait to get to 1,000 miles so I can open it up! Only another 550 to go!! LOL
Have you done an oil change yet? If not, I highly recommend it.

motoguy82

My opinion is that it's broken in at the mileage you're at. Change the oil and filter and run the piss out of it....enjoy.

yellowFZ6r

Yea I have changed the oil and filter. I MIGHT take it in for the servicing when I get to 600 miles, but really not sure its worth spending the money on to be honest. I'm thinking about just starting to go ahead and ride it a little harder now for sure.

Merc250r

bike got faster and louder at 1000 miles. Now I open her up a lot and she's plenty fast.

Remember 0-60 in 3.9 sec is fast as hell for me

JSP

Super Moderator
Yea I have changed the oil and filter. I MIGHT take it in for the servicing when I get to 600 miles, but really not sure its worth spending the money on to be honest. I'm thinking about just starting to go ahead and ride it a little harder now for sure.
If you have already changed the oil and filter you are good... When did you change it? I change around 300 then at 1000, then every 2k-2.5k ish after that.

Thats all the dealer is going to do at the service is change the oil anyways...

SAFE-T

I thought the FZ6R was really good from 6,500 rpm to about 9,500. Seemed to kind of flatten out on top a bit after that.