Elite Member
Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
This whole situation has me angry. First off, I am unhappy by the manner in which he was pulled over. A plain clothes cop in his personal vehicle. :rant: Not cool. That could have just as easily been some psychopath wanting some vigilante justice against the biker. Never safe to pull over for a "normal" vehicle.

Second, why the hell was his sidearm drawn?? Did he ever present any identification to the biker before grabbing his windshield? I wouldn't believe a man that just jumped out of a car in a hoodie with a gun drawn to be an officer just because he said so.

Third, does every officer in that state ask you for permission to be recorded when they pull you over? :surrender: I have never been asked permission to be recorded, but I know that a dash cam is sure as hell running.

Fourth, so if a person is out riding, capturing the fun on cam and someone next to them says. "Hey, nice bike!" Do you then have to ask their permission for it to be recorded?

This whole situation is a giant cluster f*ck. I feel for the guy.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I saw the original video and the thing that doesn't get shown in the short clip is that he was running from a marked patrol car who was chasing him for doing speeds of 100+ in traffic. So yes, the rider deserved to be apprehended for reckless endangerment. The off duty cop heard on the radio that a motorcycle was coming and being chased and jumped into action. No I don't think he should have pulled his gun and and if I got pulled over like that by an unmarked car and saw the driver pull a gun I'd freak out. Yes I think it's BS that they're using the video as a reason to lock him up. But I do think he deserves a very stiff penalty for causing the whole situation by riding the way so many people think all of us on sportbikes ride. :spank: I think that's the one thing that people aren't thinking about is if he hadn't been riding like a complete idiot and endangering a lot of peoples lives, none of this would have happened. There's major fault on both sides.
Right. I'm not discounting the initiating factors here. I'm just peeved by the process that was undertook concerning the off duty officer and the video.

I guess if he wasn't riding like a douche, then he could have posted the video of his ride and no one would have been the wiser. :banghead:

Roaddawg

I agree with you two, Jonkerr and 99 on many factors. Like many 'stories' you hear, you never get the WHOLE story. And, the media is terrible at not including ALL the facts, only what makes it sound good. In that video, did you also see where he pulled a wheelie in the slow lane along side the bus ,in addition to his running? There's more to his 'little innocent' story, I'm sure. BUT, I think what the officer did was completely stupid as well. Since Jon stated the biker was running from the marked unit, a police officer might drawn his weapon since it is a high-risk stop (sudo pursuit?!?), but this Officer wasn't in uniform or identifiable as a cop. If it was happening to me, I would have taken off, ran him over, or worst, drawn down on him too!! (of course I wouldn't be riding like this douche) This officer had absolutely no identification (lights, badge, uniform...nothing) to identify him as a cop. Very stupid on his part...terrible officer safety. Why he couldn't have waited for the marked unit (1 second behind him) to make the stop and THEN be the good witness to the ticket......gets me! :don'tknow:

As far as the video/audio....(I'll just speak for CA), you can record in public (for the most part...NO up-skirts, public bathrooms, etc...) because there is no "expectation of privacy", in public. So, feel safe to record your rides on the public roads. The problem is recording 'secretly' or in an area that someone would feel to be considered 'private', like on a telephone or at home...

I think were this guy went wrong (and how Maryland State police is trying to stretch it) is that when asked if he was (or had) been recording, he said "no". NOW, he made that video/audio "surreptitious", or secretly....now violating Maryland law. That's how it looks to me. I don't think this will stand up in court, though. Maybe we'll see some case law stem from it.

Like to point out that MAY is Motorcycle Awareness month....let's ride smart and safe. I don't know about the rest of the US, be here in California this month, they are putting up on the message boards again, "Look twice for motorcyclist"....let them cagers see you!!!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Spunky99

It all boils down to Maryland State law.

I just don't understand how they can have a law against any audio taping without permission even when that taping occurred in public.
In CA there is no expectation of privacy when in public view and that goes for video as well as audio.
Sounds like they have taken the concept of a Man's castle and extended that to the great outdoors....outside his castle.....

big stretch but what if you are say Elk hunting and video taping and another Hunter comes by and says Hi and you exchange a few tips and he walks off and sees the video later on Youtube. You could be guilty of the same thing.:confused:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

zig308

And my wife wonders why I never like to cross back over the river since we moved to VA...

I agree to nail the guy on reckless driving, but recording audio in public?? This could put any MD YouTuber in jail for making a video in public. I think this law was originally meant to cover telephone calls, but enforcing it on a public highway is a bit of a stretch.

As I've said on another forum that I frequent... Make sure you show up to jury duty when you get your summons.

arkkornkid

I agree with the argument about being pulled over by an unmarked car and not knowing whether it was a real cop and all..... but as we get more info we see that he was being chased by the cops, so I highly doubt that he didn't know that the guy was a cop.
So in this case he was in the wrong.

But, laws concerning people being recorded: those vary from state to state. Many states say that only one party has to be aware of the recording (at least audio, not sure about video), others say the second party must be told that they are being recorded.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member