Thinking about buying an FZ6R

Durability

Is it fine to run the engine at 6k rpm for 3-4 hours at a time??[/QUOTE]

Motorcycle engines of today are extremely durable (under the most extreme beatings) and will generally outlast the ownership of the bike. I have NEVER had an engine problem with Yamis or Suzis.

Fuel mileage seems great...i'm excited about that...the buell blast had a 2.8 gallon tank and gets around 55-60 mpg before reserve kicks in.

Thank you all for your input...like i said, if there are any other suggestions, please share as i like to know a lot about it before i purchase

Fuel mileage seems great...i'm excited about that...the buell blast had a 2.8 gallon tank and gets around 55-60 mpg before reserve kicks in.

Thank you all for your input...like i said, if there are any other suggestions, please share as i like to know a lot about it before i purchase

If you're looking for a test ride, check out Cool Springs Yamaha. They're OK w/ test rides, so long as you have your M endorsement. When I last went into that store about 3-4 weeks ago, they were running a sale on the FZ6R. I believe they have a 2009 Raven and a 2009 Team Yamaha Blue on sale (mid $5k range).

I bought mine from Ron at America's Motorsports downtown (on 8th). They'll also give you 10% off on accessories after your bike purchase from them, which basically makes accessories tax-free. :)

On the bike itself--super fun. As mentioned/implied by others, it's got a sporty aesthetic appeal, combined with the comfort of a standard bike's geometry. Dead nuts reliable as Japanese bikes usually seem to be, and you'll get tired of it only when your eye wanders.

The FZ6R is a rarity around these parts--I've only seen one Raven on the road, and seen postings from another member on here from either La Vergne or the 'boro, can't remember. You'll definitely be in some exclusive company.

Just don't get the yellow. :D

If you're looking for a test ride, check out Cool Springs Yamaha. They're OK w/ test rides, so long as you have your M endorsement. When I last went into that store about 3-4 weeks ago, they were running a sale on the FZ6R. I believe they have a 2009 Raven and a 2009 Team Yamaha Blue on sale (mid $5k range).

I bought mine from Ron at America's Motorsports downtown (on 8th). They'll also give you 10% off on accessories after your bike purchase from them, which basically makes accessories tax-free. :)

On the bike itself--super fun. As mentioned/implied by others, it's got a sporty aesthetic appeal, combined with the comfort of a standard bike's geometry. Dead nuts reliable as Japanese bikes usually seem to be, and you'll get tired of it only when your eye wanders.

The FZ6R is a rarity around these parts--I've only seen one Raven on the road, and seen postings from another member on here from either La Vergne or the 'boro, can't remember. You'll definitely be in some exclusive company.

Just don't get the yellow. :D

That's awesome that you're in TN too...

I went and looked at them in cool springs...was going to go to american motorsports on 8th this saturday.

Thank for your input...I can't wait to get one

This is a good thread as I was going to ask the same question. (not trying to be a blog hog or start another thread on the same topic)

Anyways, I'm looking at a Team Yamaha blue never been owned '09 FZ6R. The dealer is asking $5900 for it. If I pay another $1000 they'll do all the required maintenance for three years....the salesman said it's a wash since that's what it runs for three years if you follow the book. So, pay up front and have it covered or pay as you go? I like to do all the maintenance on my vehicles if I can.

Although I've never owned my own bike I have ridden before. Now I'm 40 yrs old, my youngest is in college now and I'm looking for a bike of my own.

I'm going to be taking a riders course this fall so when it's time to buy I'll have that under my belt.

I like what I'm hearing from most of the posters on here. I'm looking for a bike that's sporty but comfortable and has plenty of power which seems to be the case with this bike.

Again, sorry to steal the thread, just wanted to respond to this one since it hit close to home.

Definitely a lot of great information here. These guys have been more then helpful. You might also want to check out some youtube vids on this....pretty nice stuff.

Maintenance is very easy. $1000 is alot of money...

If I pay another $1000 they'll do all the required maintenance for three years....the salesman said it's a wash since that's what it runs for three years if you follow the book. So, pay up front and have it covered or pay as you go? I like to do all the maintenance on my vehicles if I can.

plus...What if you keep the bike only 1-2 yrs?

Last edited:
This is a good thread as I was going to ask the same question. (not trying to be a blog hog or start another thread on the same topic)

Anyways, I'm looking at a Team Yamaha blue never been owned '09 FZ6R. The dealer is asking $5900 for it. If I pay another $1000 they'll do all the required maintenance for three years....the salesman said it's a wash since that's what it runs for three years if you follow the book. So, pay up front and have it covered or pay as you go? I like to do all the maintenance on my vehicles if I can.

Although I've never owned my own bike I have ridden before. Now I'm 40 yrs old, my youngest is in college now and I'm looking for a bike of my own.

I'm going to be taking a riders course this fall so when it's time to buy I'll have that under my belt.

I like what I'm hearing from most of the posters on here. I'm looking for a bike that's sporty but comfortable and has plenty of power which seems to be the case with this bike.

Again, sorry to steal the thread, just wanted to respond to this one since it hit close to home.

If it's a wash, keep your money!
Or, alternatively, counter at $300 and see if he blinks. :)

And its actually not a wash if you are adding that into the financing (if you are financing). You will now be paying interest on that extra amount so you will be paying more for it in the long run. Save the money. Most of the services are super easy to do yourself.

I wouldn't pay up front for the maintenance personally & I am not a wrench turner. This year it cost me $125 for its maintenance if that gives you an idea of how much it needs and that was at a shop.

Also, its a great bike I almost 50 in 15 more days and love it.

On my current bike...granted, not as complicated as the fz6r...i've found a lot of things online that have helped me with doing regular maintenance on it and quite a few upgrades...The only thing i take my car in to the dealership is to rotate and balance tires...everyrhing else i do myself because I don't trust them...a lot of times they will forget something and your car will mess up (there is a thread on here on the coolant screw that was "loose") so I just don't trust them on much.

So yesterday I went and looked at some bikes. I mainly wanted to go check out the fz6r and gsx650f. The dealership didn't have the gsx650f, but I did check out the fz6r and the sv650f. I talked to one of the sales guys and I told him what I wanted to use the bike for and he suggested AGAINST the fz6r saying that it tends to get shaky on the interstate drive. Is there any truth to this?

I also check out the sv650f and I actually kind of liked the placement of the pegs. they were a little farther back and the bars were lower (don't care for this feature) but it felt really good to have your legs a little farther back.

Do you guys know anything about the sv650f? how does it compare to the fz6r?

thanks all!!!

I talked to one of the sales guys and I told him what I wanted to use the bike for and he suggested AGAINST the fz6r saying that it tends to get shaky on the interstate drive. Is there any truth to this?

I ride almost everyday on California Hwy's and never have I experienced shaking. Nor have I seen anyone complain about it on this forum.

So yesterday I went and looked at some bikes. I mainly wanted to go check out the fz6r and gsx650f. The dealership didn't have the gsx650f, but I did check out the fz6r and the sv650f. I talked to one of the sales guys and I told him what I wanted to use the bike for and he suggested AGAINST the fz6r saying that it tends to get shaky on the interstate drive. Is there any truth to this?

I also check out the sv650f and I actually kind of liked the placement of the pegs. they were a little farther back and the bars were lower (don't care for this feature) but it felt really good to have your legs a little farther back.

Do you guys know anything about the sv650f? how does it compare to the fz6r?

thanks all!!!

That guy is making crap up about the 'shaking'. I have almost 21,000 miles on my FZ6R and 85% of it is freeway riding. It's solid and rides perfectly fine on the interstate/freeways. Maybe he gets a better commission on the SV650. You've gotta buy what's right for you, but you won't be disappointed with the FZ6R either. You can adjust the bars front to back and twist them up or down to get the riding position you desire.

Back