Thinkin about 2 wheels

CDN6R

Hello all. now last summer I sold my 6R on a whim (got a good offer) and I did not miss it at all until.............................................. I came back to this forum from invites from C.C. and others to come back to the fold ,,so to speak. Now as much as I did and do like the 6R and it was and is one of the best bikes I have EVER HAD, I am thinking of something smaller,lighter and easier to move around. I did find the 6R to be a bit top heavy when moving it in the garage or my gravel driveway. I wish that there were more bikes avaliable here in Canada like in Europe (XJ6/ Honda 400 ect) but we have what we have. I was looking in to a RZ 350 which is what I had when I was a younger squid (25) but alot of them are trashed or moocho $$$ in decent shape. So what do you all think.. Ninja 250/ Honda 250 or wait till next year and see if Yammie or Kawi comes out with something?? thoughts/opinions??
Laurie Potter (no relation to Harry,,wish I was though!:D)

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Rookasaki

You might find yourself looking for just a bit more HP with a 250... But to each their own. I knew you couldn't go to much longer without one ;)

BKP

I had the CBR250r, and traded to the FZ6R.

If you're looking for a 250 class (and while I'm probably a bit biased), I think it's a no contest between the Honda CBR250r and Kawi Ninja 250:
The Ninja is still carbureted, the CBR is fuel-injected.
The Ninja has to be revved *high* in order to pull the same torque as the CBR in the lower and mid band.
The Ninja *does* have a couple extra horsepower for the top end, which is fine if you want to do 95 instead of 90 on the hwy... (BFD).
The CBR gets incredible mileage (I averaged 74mpg -- and I'm listed on Fuelly with it under this same name). The Ninja can't touch it.
And (IMHO) the styling of the CBR blows away the Ninjette.
Almost forgot... the CBR250r is available with ABS for just an addtl. $500... Can't do that on the Ninjette.

Kawasaki, I believe, has taken their 20 year dominance of the 250 class (in the states) for granted, and got blind-sided by Honda's introduction of the CBR. Now Suzuki and Yamaha are looking to re-introduce new 250's as well, based on Honda's success.

All that being said, my problem with the lighter, lower-powered 250's, as much as they handle like gold, and you can flick them like nothing else, in places like Suches Loop, here in Georgia, if you spend any serious time on the highway, doing higher speeds (70+), in any kind of wind, they get blown to all creation... Additionally, that's where they start getting buzzy (even a little earlier), so if you're thinking of touring, only the heartiest will really enjoy the long-distance rides...
Finally, even though the FZ6r is 100 lbs. heavier, I'm finding it handles as well, if not *better* in the corners, at both high and *especially* lower speeds. I've only been riding the FZ6r a few weeks, and I've been playing in our own little "mini-dragon" here where I am, breaking it in (I'll post the ride later, time permitting), but, I'm very impressed with the handling.

Bottom line, the CBR250r is an awesome bike. I'd recommend it to anyone (given the above caveats). My riding buddy used to ride the Ninjette... he's now on a CBR250r (of course the fact that he got run over on the Ninjette might have something to do with it... ;) ).

Best of luck whatever you decide... ride safe...

Last edited:

Brock Kickass

Not sure what this is, I saw it in St. Martin this winter. It would look pretty cool next to my FZ1-N, though. If it was available in Canada I'd probably scoop one for my wife and end up riding it to work and saving the big bike for trips.

Attachments

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Chucker

Here you go Laurie. It's even the right colour.

Attachments

JSP

Super Moderator
Not sure what this is, I saw it in St. Martin this winter. It would look pretty cool next to my FZ1-N, though. If it was available in Canada I'd probably scoop one for my wife and end up riding it to work and saving the big bike for trips.
That is a Yamaha YBR 125. Cool little bikes. 125cc is a little low for anything besides city riding. It is fuel injected though...(the newest ones at least)

YBR125 2012 - Motorcycles - Yamaha Motor UK

Brock Kickass

We live in the country, but I really can't see my wife wanting to do more than 65 MPH, and probably stay within 1 hour of home. It is a bit small, but for all the riding she'd do it would probably work well. Light, easy to ride, and (very) cheap on insurance. The last part is importnat. No point paying $750/year for something that gets used a handful of times.

RoadTrip

I think once you have had a taste of power, it is kinda difficult to go backwards, of course there are well seasoned bikers that get a Ninja250 as a goof around bike and love them.

If you want a lightweight, low Cg bike, that still has power, you are looking at a 600SS; and, before you cry 'back pain' consider that the Ninja 250 is a pretty cramped little bike for those over 6ft. and could be nearly as painful (I know its too small for me).

Otherwise get used to a 450-500lb bike, the 600 SS's and 250's are the primary lightweight bikes, just don't discount the power factor, the magazines try to be as nice as possible on the 250's, but if you read closely they are typically running WOT all the time trying to get them to run fast.

I know it sounds shallow to want power, but power is a big part of sport riding, no matter how well the 250 corners. If only they would make a Ninja350 with 45hp and 350lbs, that would be a game changer.

Last edited:

Superzoom

Hi Laurie,

I'm assuming you're on some sort of budget and a $10 000 bike is a bit much, so no Street Triple, which is the obvious choice.

Maybe a used 600 super sport with risers and lowered pegs. But of course in Canada we have the crazy insurance.

I would recommend the CBR250R. You're in Nova Scotia, which is chock full of nice twisty road which are fun at a not-too-much above legal pace. The CBR250R would be great for sport touring there. It can do over 145 kph, which should be plenty thrilling for most of your roads.

CDN6R

Hi Laurie,

I'm assuming you're on some sort of budget and a $10 000 bike is a bit much, so no Street Triple, which is the obvious choice.

Maybe a used 600 super sport with risers and lowered pegs. But of course in Canada we have the crazy insurance.

I would recommend the CBR250R. You're in Nova Scotia, which is chock full of nice twisty road which are fun at a not-too-much above legal pace. The CBR250R would be great for sport touring there. It can do over 145 kph, which should be plenty thrilling for most of your roads.
Thanks,, actually I did have a CBR 125R before I got the 6R. For what it was , intended for,,it was and is a good bike. But you have to use it for what it is intended for..back road riding and just generally cruising. it really liked doing 80-90 KMH as long as there was no high head winds and no big hills. I rode mine one day from Bridgewater (where I live) to Bridgetown across the Province in a strong head wind and the travel time took me about 20 min longer than my car would have because of the slower speed. I flogged the snot out of that little bike,,I could not use 6th gear because of the wind,she would slow down, so i kept her pegged (9000-10,000 RPM red line) in 5th most of the way. She reminded me of "The little Engine that Could" children,s book with the bike saying "I think I can,I think I can." That day that little bike gave me over 90 MPG ,,in 5th gear with the tach pegged. Unbelieveable. These bikes are raced constantly in Thailand and they have quite a following. Everything i have read about the CBR/Ninja 250's to me the Kawi seems to suite me better. The CBR seems like a great town bike that would run out of breath on the highway trying to pass a car @100KMH,,I could be wrong though. I did try a CBR about 2 weeks ago and I found the EFI really twichy,,sort on on/off an low speeds..I have yet to try a Ninja,,although my insurance company ( Intact ) will not insure the 250 Kawi because it is called a "Ninja"! God I am flippin 55 years old and had a bike licence since I was 21...go figure.

CrazyCawi

just buy my fz6r laurie