Think i'm having clutch issues...

F

FZ6R_Blue

I think i might be burning my clutch up. what does it smell like? I have ridden before but most of the bikes were smaller size cruisers. Im not sure what i'm smelling when i get off the bike. I stop and get off the bike and i can smell what i can best relate to something burning with a hint of (rotten egg smell):rant:

mtp

I think i might be burning my clutch up. what does it smell like? I have ridden before but most of the bikes were smaller size cruisers. Im not sure what i'm smelling when i get off the bike. I stop and get off the bike and i can smell what i can best relate to something burning with a hint of (rotten egg smell):rant:
Rotten egg smell = sulfur??? Emissions equipment problem?

F

FZ6R_Blue

I read it could be battery,Cat converter or clutch... not sure what to think. i'll have to wait till tomorrow to get a better look at it

JSP

Super Moderator
What kind of chain lube are you using? Could be flinging off of your chain and burning on the exhaust. Fairly common... ?

F

FZ6R_Blue

Its the stupid white wax stuff.... it was on the bike when i bought it. I've heard its good but i'm not really sure

JSP

Super Moderator
Its the stupid white wax stuff.... it was on the bike when i bought it. I've heard its good but i'm not really sure

There ya go :D

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

ajskillz13

If you've changed the oil recently... there's a chance you may be burning off fluid that was spilled on the headers. This happened to me. The service tech actually told me he spilled a little due to the oil filter placement and that it could cause a burning smell. Mine smelled like burnt popcorn.

djf18374

Since you are from MN, as I am, when I have ridden the past few times I noticed some steam coming off the radiator after riding. This makes sense since the water off the tire sprays directly onto the radiator and exhaust. I have smelled a similar odor, and it seems to be coming from the steam. Could it be the dirty, road-salty, mixture of water and dirt evaporating off hot parts? That would be my guess, since Clutch burning is a pretty distinct smell that I would not describe as "rotten egg" sulfur smell. Just my opinion... :don'tknow:

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Plus if it was clutch, you would most likely be feeling slipping, etc. I think its either oil or chain lube. Sulfer rotten egg smell... is usually catalytic related.

Chucker

I've experienced that smell from a cargo van whenever it ran hot. It was from the catalytic converter. I don't think you'd get a sulfur smell from anything else on your bike.

C

cam7777

It will be the catalytic converter, converting exhaust gasses into hydrogen sulphide (sulpher smells like rotton eggs) and nothing to worry about IMHO

My XJ6 smells like it's farted:D

F

FZ6R_Blue

I think that i may have just been smelling the steaming *stuff* from the road spray like djf18374 said. i road again today and didn't smell it as much with roads being more dry

F

FZ6R_Blue

Can anyone give me some ideas on why my bike would be back firing at 7k rpm?

Superzoom

Have you modified your exhaust or fuel mapping?

From Wikipedia:

Exhaust system backfires occur in engines that have an emission system malfunction, like an air injection system diverter valve problem, an exhaust leak, or when the catalytic converter has been removed. In some high-performance vehicles, when a driver shifts up and lets off the accelerator, the engine has a moment of running rich. This causes an incomplete burn which causes the fumes to explode in the exhaust system along with an audible clacking sound. However this condition is a result of working smog equipment, and is unlikely to cause any damage.

A fuel injected engine may backfire if an intake leak is present (causing the engine to run lean), or a fuel injection component such as an air-flow sensor is defective.

Common causes of backfires are:

* Poor or unregulated engine timing is often a cause of intake backfires, but can also be responsible for exhaust backfires
* Improper wiring in the ignition can also lead to timing issues and backfires
* Low fuel pressure, clogged fuel filters, and weak fuel pumps could cause a severe lean air-to-fuel ratio during fuel injection
* Missing or damaged catalytic converter can result in backfires out the tailpipe