theoretically....

abyss1406

What if you turbo'ed your FZ6r... You know its do able, just alot of custom fabrication

JonKerr

Elite Member

ST3RL0

Upgraded clutch and 530 chain & sprockets should cover the drive train issue

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

abyss1406

The purpose of the thread is theoretical. I mean I'd do it just to have the only turboed FZ.

Brock Kickass

There's a guy from Germany on the FZ1 forum who built a turbo kit for his 998. I think he can push 300whp if he cranks the boost way up. It looked like a lot if work. Pretty sure he is a mechanical engineer or something similar. The FZ1 is close to 500lb but at 300hp who really cares? It must be terrifying!

FastFreddy

I think it would be a good bike to turbo. I was thinking about it.

However you'd only be able to get around 120 HP and added weight and complexity. So you'd be better off trading it up for a litre bike which would be more power and lighter anyway.

Prices : (you could double this).
- manifold and exhaust $1500
- turbo $1000
- Big injectors ~$500-700
- ECU replacement with additional sensors and retuned by a good tuner ? $2500 ?

If you tune them for a living and can make up your own manifolds, it may be worth it if you have lots of spare time and like doing lots of work.

If you replace the pistons for more boost, you definitely should be buying a new bike at this point.

Your only problem with a turbo is when the boost kicks in at a certain RPM. IF you are mid-turn and your turbo boosts your motor, you are going to spin out and low side. Superchargers are a better option for this application.

A great example is Kawasaki's soon to be zx15r. Its supposed to be supercharged from the factory. Ill find the link to the article i read.

Brock Kickass

Your only problem with a turbo is when the boost kicks in at a certain RPM. IF you are mid-turn and your turbo boosts your motor, you are going to spin out and low side. Superchargers are a better option for this application.

A great example is Kawasaki's soon to be zx15r. Its supposed to be supercharged from the factory. Ill find the link to the article i read.

Boost lag shouldn't be a real problem at constant throttle. It's not that boost hits at a specific RPM, it's that the turbo needs a certain amount of time to accelerate to the RPM required to give good boost. The turbo is driven by the exhaust, so the more fuel going through the engine, the more force being applied to the turbo's impeller, the more boost created.

Interestingly, because the turbo is driven by exhaust, boost does not directly relate to engine RPM like it does with a supercharger. For example, if you are cruising along in a low gear at higher RPM but with the throttle, say, 1/3 open, you will not generate a lot of boost because there isn't a lot of exhaust volume. Even though RPM is high and there are more ignitions per second, there isn't a lot of fuel being burned in each ignition. At the same RPM but full throttle, with exhaust volume significantly higher because so much more fuel is being burned with each ignition, the turbo is pushed to spin much faster, creating more boost.

In a full throttle acceleration situation, the engine will essentially be naturally aspirated for a short period until the turbo is spooled up. Larger turbos require more exhaust volume and as such, more time to begin to produce boost. (As an aside, the article about the McLaren P1 in this month's Road&Track talks about McLaren's very interesting solution to boost lag)

In a turn situation where you are holding the throttle to a fairly constant position the boost won't jump on you. On a turbo bike you would have to be very careful about modulating the throttle as you come out of a turn, but that's a reality for any high horsepower bike.

A really good rider on a low power bike might be able to pin the throttle wide open as soon as they can see the apex and just wait for the bike to come up from the turn, but on anything with serious power (litre bike) the limitations in grip dictate a more gradual opening of the throttle as you exit the turn. Gradually increasing throttle mitigates the sudden onset of power that comes from lagging boost, making the power increase much more linear and manageable.

FastFreddy

You can get the right size and ratio turbo and it prevents lightswitch style boost situations. The turbo has to be matched to the engine. Basically you want the turbo to build boost slowly before the peak torque of the engine, rather than all hitting at once at peak torque.

For a turbo'd motorbike, normally the boost is kept low (5-7PSI) , and you can get a small turbo so it can generate boost throughout the rev range without taking a massive boost hit at a particular rpm.

Superchargers would be better though for large motorbike engines, everything would definitely be linear with rpm there.

abyss1406

120 whp would still be a nice change of pace.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

ST3RL0

I think it would be a good bike to turbo. I was thinking about it.

However you'd only be able to get around 120 HP and added weight and complexity. So you'd be better off trading it up for a litre bike which would be more power and lighter anyway.

Prices : (you could double this).
- manifold and exhaust $1500
- turbo $1000
- Big injectors ~$500-700
- ECU replacement with additional sensors and retuned by a good tuner ? $2500 ?

If you tune them for a living and can make up your own manifolds, it may be worth it if you have lots of spare time and like doing lots of work.

If you replace the pistons for more boost, you definitely should be buying a new bike at this point.
Christ, where'd you pull those prices from?
So far I have a gt2871 turbo, 220cc injectors for under $500.
Piping will be 300.
Tuning is 600.
Map sensor is under 100

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BluePill

As far as theory goes, the FZ6R is almost the perfect bike for a turbo. The original R6 engine that it is derived from was in the 120-135 HP range, so the basic Engine & Transmission should be able to handle the power reliably. Forced induction - either super or turbocharging - is exactly what the engine needs to overcome the reduced airflow created when Yamaha hobbled the engine with smaller throttle bodies, ports, and mild cam timing.

As already stated, the easy and economical way to more power is to simply trade up. Even if the forced induction mod turns out perfectly, you still have a chassis with non-adjustable suspension that would probably be sketchy above 100HP.