The other side of helmets...

Spitfire

This is a 'letter to the editor' in the local newspaper here in Daytona Beach.

"I would like to comment on the Oct 27 letter, "Stop deaths with helmets." Yes, six people died in recent accidents and none of the them wore helmets. Many riders don't wear helmets and consequently, many of the people who die in motorcycle accidents will not be wearing helmets.
As someone with 60 years of riding experience, I can say that a helmet is not a do-all, save-all piece of equipment. Most people who insist on the use of helmets have little or no experience riding motorcycles. Knowledgeable riders understand that the helmet causes accidents, because peripheral vision is cut off and hearing is diminished. People are more likely to have accidents because they are unaware of surrounding circumstances. Driving defensively means being aware of everything around you.
That hot helmet can get you killed."

Just thought I'd share it with everyone here. Comments?

-Please no ATGATT rage wars. Just comment on the pros/cons of helmet use. =]

redwing-2001

one of the things I found out teaching motorcycle safety for over 6 years now is that the number of years a person says they have ridden doesn't mean much. When a person cites a large number of years experience he usually means how long ago he first attempted to ride and had little to do with experience. To get a better perspective, I now ask how many miles per year do you ride? I can almost bet that this person doesn't have very many. With that said, this guy has nothing to base his assumptions on. It really does not take much valid research to dispel his claims. Also, he obviously has not been up close or personally experienced being thrown from a motorycle. It is a free country (mostly) and he can be stupid if he wants, but please, not anywhere near me.

djf18374

I find it hard to swallow that the helmet impinges on peripheral sight at any appreciable level. I will put on my helmet this morning and try to turn my eyes all the way to both sides and tell you if I can see solid helmet. Never have noticed any blockage of view, but I do turn my head to look to the side and behind me.

The hearing aspect may be something to talk about, but I still am ATGATT and always will be. I look forward to hearing the points on this talk though!:thumbup:

Mitch21

There is a reason why wearing helmets are mandatory in Australia and I'm sure in some of the states over there.

Bloke

Lol this is like the defence of rotational injuries caused by bicycle helmets. It's poppycock.

1. Helmets just don't impinge on peripheral vision, if it does, you've put it on backwards.

2. Hearing, given the road safety organisations here in the uk advocate the use of earplugs... I find it hard to believe that a helmet does much if at all anything to attenuate important outside noises.

but it's pointless arguing against that old codger, he's unable to see reason because his helmet is on back to front and he's deaf to all common sense through decades of riding without ear protection.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Sparkxx1

What a load of crap, excuse my language. But most helmets come with a nice wide field of vision. I get way better field of vision on my bike with my helmet then in my cage without. What does that say to you? It has come to the point where I'm nervous in the cage because I know I can't see as well as on the bike. Lol and loss of hearing? Okay because you aren't going to ruin your hearing and lose it by not wearing a helmet...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FitZ6R

If people want accept the risk of not wearing helmets, I don't really care. But making up "helmets kill" BS to justify their actions is delusional.

yfz6r

I see fine out of my helmet. There are times when I drive 1 mile to school in the winter I'd rather have a giant eskamo hood than a helmet

Spunky99

Here is the old skool version.....bear with me...

The world has changed...A LOT......
More cagers, faster speeds, license requirements appear to be non-existent for cagers and distractions are 1000 fold. Cell phones, chicks in bikinis and short skirts, in dash GPS, 2000 watt stereo systems and the list goes on and on. Vastly improved helmet design and construction giving us lighter weight, cool air flow and unobstructed vision.

Back in 1960s and 70s, the drivers weren't as distracted and there wasn't as many on the roads. Sure the pavement was just as hard and the speeds were the same but with less cagers on the road and better vehicle operation training and a nicer group of drivers out there, it was the drunks and drug fiends that you had to watch out for. Motorcycle riding IMHO was safer then as far as cars was concerned. If you hit the pavement with your head then it was just the same as now though......

Helmets were really heavy and hot and did have crappy peripheral vision in the 70's and 80's. My first helmet after riding for a year without one was a Bell Star..Look at the picture below and you will agree that it indeed did block your peripheral vision. For a putt putt around the neighborhood or riding in the summer without a helmet at the beach, it was great. If you wanted to go on a freeway or go somewhere further a helmet was prudent but not mandatory. Can you imagine how I felt when I shipped my 1968 BSA Lightning 650 to Oahu and found out I had to wear a helmet there. It was hot and humid and the helmet was so hot and heavy, sweat ran down my face the whole time. It sucked big time....especially at the beach cruising....
There is no way in Hell I'd ride a motorcycle without a full coverage helmet these days, even 2 blocks to the supermarket. I look at cruisers with the open face little crappy helmets and I just cringe. I'd never go riding without a DOT/SNELL approved full face helmet on.

There is no excuse to go riding without a helmet on these days.....

This is one from the 80's...the Bell Star from the 70's was heavier and hotter...but had the same astronaut or deep sea diver viewscreen.

djf18374

Wow, I have never seen a full face helmet from that era... :eek: That really would be terrible to wear. I can see why someone would say that a helmet from THAT VINTAGE would impinge on your sight lines, but saying that for helmets of today is just plain incorrect. I hope no one listens to the old dude touting his opinions in the paper. He should keep that BS to himself :thumbup:

Thanks for the pic of that old school lid Spunky!

stevet

Claiming that wearing a helmet is a safety hazard is right up there with the most ignorant, ridiculous things I have ever heard. It hardly deserves the time to even be addressed intelligently any further. Your head may be so big that any helmet is too small cutting off all blood circulation to the brain. Others said it better than I. The only reason I'm even replying is I don't want some guy to get the idea maybe it's not unsafe to ride without a helmet.

kevin8198

Elite Member

Spunky99

Claiming that wearing a helmet is a safety hazard is right up there with the most ignorant, ridiculous things I have ever heard. It hardly deserves the time to even be addressed intelligently any further. Your head may be so big that any helmet is too small cutting off all blood circulation to the brain. Others said it better than I. The only reason I'm even replying is I don't want some guy to get the idea maybe it's not unsafe to ride without a helmet.
Here is what was the standard excuse for going lidless in the old days.

Due to the heavy weight of the helmet and the reduced peripheral vision and hearing, a motorcyclist was at risk of not being able to detect a dangerous situation and get into a crash where his neck would be broken by the weight of the helmet as he was impacted. There are documented cases where the weight of the helmet was a contributing factor in the death of the motorcyclist from a broken neck.

I just remember the weight, heat and lack of vision. Constant head movement to see around you.

NOT A FACTOR TODAY........

b_who

I dont get the hearing thing. Ive ridden my dads harley with his little brain bucket helmet and i couldnt hear a thing except WOSHHHHHHH PSHHHH WOOSHHHH cuz of the wind
. My ears were ringing for a bit after too, so that arguement has no justiice to me and all helmets nowadays have close to 170 degrees or better visor openinggs so yea maybe this was correct back in the days like spunky showed but not even remotely close to todays standerds or even the 90's standerds.

AngryAnt

On a side note, I was riding with my shield up (with sunglasses) the other day, enjoying the wind in my face when I get hit right below my eye by some kind of large insect at 80 MPH. It hurt like a BA$TARD. I wondered to myself then who in their right mind uses a skull cap or no helmet at all and loves getting hit in the face with stuff at high speeds? Full face FTW

Spunky99

On a side note, I was riding with my shield up (with sunglasses) the other day, enjoying the wind in my face when I get hit right below my eye by some kind of large insect at 80 MPH. It hurt like a BA$TARD. I wondered to myself then who in their right mind uses a skull cap or no helmet at all and loves getting hit in the face with stuff at high speeds? Full face FTW
How about getting a lit cigarette butt into the mini viewscreen area of the old style helmet and it goes by your ear and starts burning the shyte outta you. No way can you get it out so pull over and pull off the helmet to get it out.;)

2wheelie

No one doubts the purpose of a helmet. But IMO it still should not be mandatory, as well as the seat belts in cars. We all grown up people and can decide without the "Big brother" tell us.
I am all for wearing helmets, but occasionally on some remote country roads I can take it off, if I please, for a period of time (in states where permitted). It should be YOUR decision.

Detrich

i'd say that helmets also help improve motorcyclists' visibility on the road to other motorists. and, promoting helmets also promotes wearing riding gear. that is, if u wear a helmet, then u should wear a riding jacket. if u wear a jacket then u should wear gloves etc etc. it's a compounding effect. so, helmet safety goes beyond just protecting the head.... ***