The official Workout, Exercise & Diet Thread...

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Botty12

Well I'm back to my prime strength that I used to be at back in 2012.

5'10''
155 lbs right now

Only issue is that my prime strength is where I've plateaued at. Been benching 185 for the past few weeks and can't seem to get any more than 4-5 reps in. (3 sets)

I think I may start taking pre-workout. Always wanted to try that.
What's the rep scheme you are currently doing?

echoplex

Usually what I've been doing is.

3 sets of 6
Then 3 sets of 8
Then 3 sets of 10

as soon as I hit 3 sets of 10 with a certain weight, I increase the weight. And repeat.

Been doing 185, 3-4 sets of 5 reps.

Which is weird because my dumbbell chest press is increasing and my incline dumbbell press is increasing as well in weight and reps but its just my bench that seems to be stuck.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Botty12

Usually what I've been doing is.

3 sets of 6
Then 3 sets of 8
Then 3 sets of 10

as soon as I hit 3 sets of 10 with a certain weight, I increase the weight. And repeat.

Been doing 185, 3-4 sets of 5 reps.

Which is weird because my dumbbell chest press is increasing and my incline dumbbell press is increasing as well in weight and reps but its just my bench that seems to be stuck.
Try doing a strength building specific program (like 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler) for your bench, and any other lift you're plateauing at...with the rep scheme so high that you are currently doing it's more like going for endurance than actually getting bigger numbers fast. To get significantly stronger quickly you need to be lifting heavier, which means you're lifting for maximum 6-8 reps per set (pure strength would ideally be 1-3 reps per set, which would equate to 85%-95% of your 1RM).

Also, the bench press relies heavily on core stability and technique. Out of pure strength you can lift pretty heavy, but to get you past that sticking point you need to train your core to brace while training your pecs/triceps to be explosive, AND find the sweet spot of set up and form.

I have been doing the contrast training for 3 weeks now, and my bench went from doing 140lbs for one rep, to doing 135lbs for 4 reps (haven't retested 140lbs yet). I was doing 85%-95% of my 1RM for 2-4 reps, followed immediately by plyometric pushups (I started on a hand elevated position, dropped down to the ground and immediately did a push up so that my hands reset elevated) doing 4-6 reps, for a total of 4 sets with 3 minutes in between each set. This helped me push through the last half of the drive for a bench, as I would get stuck about half way up.

Tweaking things like how you do the bench (slowly vs. explosively), your excessory exercises, and your reps to focus more on pure strength should help increase your numbers.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

knightmare

Shit.... Wife... Kid.... And work.... Now plus injury.... Looks like I'm behind on this thread.... Excuses got to love them.... Hahahaha....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

echoplex

I haven't worked out since December 20th and my diet has gone to complete shit, nothing but eating out and alcohol.

I need to get back into things. Good to see you making progress JT.

knightmare

I haven't worked out since December 20th and my diet has gone to complete shit, nothing but eating out and alcohol.

I need to get back into things. Good to see you making progress JT.

That's my diet too.... Lol.... I'll let u know if it works for me.... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member