the first Nitrous mock up

N2OEQIP

alright this is just a mock up right now. Just seeing how I like it. You can be the judge I dont know how I'm feeling about it.

again sorry for the crappy pics but you get the point :)

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
That's not very well hidden....:rolleyes: No sleeper mod for you! lol

But honestly, that will play with the dynamics of the bike by adding the slight bit of weight to the right side of the tail. It's not balanced and you may notice it in corners. Also, what backup measure do you have to prevent little punks from messing with the bottle while your not around the bike? I would be worried about people disconnecting the lines for their own "personal use."

N2OEQIP

I have another bottle so I'm not worried about weight. Ther personal use is automotive grade nitrous has sulfer added so you will be throwing up long before you'd get happy.

Roaddawg

just curious, but why do this to a FZ6R? :confused: Why not buy a liter bike and get twice the HP? Don't get me wrong, I like people customizing their rides, but this just seems extreme for a performance mod on a bike that's not designed for this type of riding.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I have another bottle so I'm not worried about weight. Ther personal use is automotive grade nitrous has sulfer added so you will be throwing up long before you'd get happy.
Nice, so you are going to come out to vomit stains all over the ground near your bike. :justkidding:

It's a neat idea, but I have seen it with smaller bottles that were well hidden.

As for why...why not? The bike has excellent comfort, great handling and ergonomics, and can be beat on pretty well. It's not all that expensive, so the mod is still cheaper than getting a liter bike. But you also get the daily driveability and comfort from the sport-touring style geometry.

cbzdel

Nos scares me, so dont read my post if you are a fan haha!.. I know it can work in your favor but personally I am not a fan, it turns the engine into a time bomb and reduces engine life IMO (maybe not true but it just a thought I have always had)

A brand new 08 FZ1 was the same price as my 09 FZ6R at my dealer, I would personally buy an FZ1 before attempting to NOS out a brand new bike, but again that's just me..

Also what if you crash?? Wouldnt that be like a explosive hazard?? Maybe automotive grade is different??

N2OEQIP

Nos scares me, so dont read my post if you are a fan haha!.. I know it can work in your favor but personally I am not a fan, it turns the engine into a time bomb and reduces engine life IMO (maybe not true but it just a thought I have always had)

A brand new 08 FZ1 was the same price as my 09 FZ6R at my dealer, I would personally buy an FZ1 before attempting to NOS out a brand new bike, but again that's just me..

Also what if you crash?? Wouldnt that be like a explosive hazard?? Maybe automotive grade is different??
not to be rude but you need to be educated about Nitrous and how it works, not NOS. lol

N2OEQIP

lets just say this isnt my first attempt with nitrous on my ride lol....

heres my camaro

on my civic lol

its just fun. :)

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I've used a Nitrous Express system before for an added 75 hp in my last car. :rockon: It is soooo much fun.

To address your concerns, cbzdel, don't believe what you see in the movies. :p Nitrous oxide is not flammable, but rather combustible when mixed with fuel and oxygen. Therefore, just shooting flames at nitrous oxide will not cause an explosion, you would actually need to compress it (like in an engine block under the piston's compression stroke).

Here is a direct quote for more information.
In vehicle racing, nitrous oxide (often referred to as just "nitrous or NOS" in this context to differ from the acronym NOS which is the brand Nitrous Oxide Systems) allows the engine to burn more fuel and air, resulting in a more powerful combustion. The gas itself is not flammable, but it delivers more oxygen than atmospheric air by breaking down at elevated temperatures.

Nitrous oxide is stored as a compressed liquid; the evaporation and expansion of liquid nitrous oxide in the intake manifold causes a large drop in intake charge temperature, resulting in a denser charge, further allowing more air/fuel mixture to enter the cylinder. Nitrous oxide is sometimes injected into (or prior to) the intake manifold, whereas other systems directly inject right before the cylinder (direct port injection) to increase power.

Manna69247

Of all the screws in your head, I think the main one that holds everything together must be loose ;) - but don't we all...:D

I don't know anything about nitrous but that looks serious. Can't wait to see how this will develop.:rockon:

Last edited:

cbzdel

not to be rude but you need to be educated about Nitrous and how it works, not NOS. lol
The NOS was just "slang" I know what it really is...

I think my whole point is fast is good, but I dont think its possible at all for nitrous to lengthen the life of an engine!

edit: and personally I would want my engine to last as long as possible...

But then again these are all things I hear.. So I dont mind being schooled..

Last edited:

N2OEQIP

then from your comment I would assume that adding a supercharger and or a turbo to anything is dumb as well.

turbo= always wearing on your motor

nitrous= only when you hit the button.

Yes nitrous can shorten the life span of any motor aswell as a turbo or stupidcharger.

However if tuned correctly you will never have a problem ever.

this says it best. "Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD's, You know you wanna hit it, But in the end your just scared of the consequences ." lol

Last edited:

WIyamirider

To expand a further on what N2OEQIP mentioned:

A nitrous oxide system is essentially an oxygenator, somewhat similar to what a forced induction system will do. Forced induction (super or turbocharging) uses a compressor to force more air into the combustion chamber than the engine is capable of pulling it itself. A nitrous oxide system injects compressed nitrous oxide into the combustion chamber, which then creates an oxygen rich environment greater than what the engine is capable of doing itself.

Also similar to forced induction, you have to also add more fuel to compensate for the extra air/oxygen. If you don't, your engine will lean out, and melt. I think this is why nitrous oxide get a bad rap. Since it's generally much easier to install than a super or turbocharger, a lot more people try to use it. And since the majority of the people that buy the kits probably don't understand how nitrous oxide works, they just bolt it on, call it good, and proceed to melt their pistons to their blocks. Making sure the engine isn't starved of fuel is a big key in making these systems work properly.

Like N2OEQIP said, the nitrous oxide system is only active at full throttle, and only if you turn the system on. Whereas forced induction is always on and active, you don't cruise around the city spraying away.

Properly set up, a nitrous oxide system is no more damaging to an engine than a forced induction system. Probably less so because you can use it only when you want. As long as then engine is capable of producing more power than what it came from the factory with, you really won't hurt it. It's when you try and push the engine beyond what it is capable of is when trouble starts.

cbzdel

then from your comment I would assume that adding a supercharger and or a turbo to anything is dumb as well.

turbo= always wearing on your motor

nitrous= only when you hit the button.

Yes nitrous can shorten the life span of any motor aswell as a turbo or stupidcharger.

However if tuned correctly you will never have a problem ever.

this says it best. "Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD's, You know you wanna hit it, But in the end your just scared of the consequences ." lol
I was raised in a muscle car family under the "there is no replacement for displacement" rule.. so I will just call a truce here haha..

JonKerr

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
So are you planning to run a dry or wet system? Will it be direct port? What shot are you considering? Do you have plans to beef up the internals?

Bigevildoer

What about mounting the bottles down lower?
The fellow who used R6 headers and a slip on exhaust had to remove the rear foot pegs in order to mount the exhaust...

Think it might look good to have the bottles down there, or would it just cause too much of a wiring/tubing/hosing issue? If you're running NOS, you obviously won't be riding with passengers anyways... :)

N2OEQIP

ok people think that nitrous go big or go home, as of right now I only planned on running a 15 dry shot. kit from dynotune. I thought about running the bottles lower but there is just not a good place to mount them.