Tank pad photos wanted- FZ6R - Raven

JoshF

Hi all - looking for a tank pad for my Raven FZ6R. Can you please share photos if you have some.

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Roaddawg

Does yours have a kind of greenish tint to it? I bought the same one and noticed that it kind of turned green after being in the sun for a day. Looked like hell so I took it off and got the Pro Grip one.
No, not green. It said it was metallic black, but it matches the gunmetal gray frame better than the tank. I like it...it's simple. My bike doesn't sit in the sun, only when I'm riding. I park it indoors at home and work, or under trees when I occasionally work in Sacramento.

gearhead

I have the generic Pro Grip tank pad as well, but I'm not too thrilled with it. I get some light scratches on the top of the tank when I'm "tucked in". Riding nude would prevent the scratches but people would complain... a lot.
Has anyone tried the Rascal Grafik tank pads? They claim to make pads specifically for the FZ6R. Here's the web site: http://www.rascalgrafik.com/products_yamahalist.php?id=61

CGENGO

Tank pad- sticking with red accents

After much searching I settled on the Keiti tank protector in Tribal Red. It adds just a touch of red to the tank, and sits interestingly angled at the same pitch as the red spring. A clean line.
It cost around $20 on Ebay and arrived fast! (with a silly free keychain!) It looks great!! :thumbup:

Now do I paint those front forks red or black?

gearhead

I like that! Any pics of it on the bike? Is it smooth on the surface? The pic looks like it has layers.

CGENGO

Smmmmmoooooottthh!! Just like the ride!

Detrich

i went to my first bike meet last week, and lotta my friends (fellow bikers) were excited to see my FZ6-R and all tok turns sitting on it to check it out. but then later on i noticed that one of them- not sure who- chipped my tank- ie about the size of 2 seasame seeds. :(

i know it wasn't on purpose, so it's just life i guess... still kinda bummed tho...

anyhoo... went to dealer the following day, and they directed me to Motorcycle Paint :: Touch Up, Aerosol & Refinish Paint - ColorRite to order some touch-up paint. i ordered the touch-up pen, since it's fairly small chip. they also recommended the Progroup tank protector like the one above. i bought a carbon fiber one ($17.xx), since i'm not sure how the clear one would look. i figure i'll touch-up the chip first a couple times til it's smoother. and, then decide if i want to put the fishbone on the tank or not...

if i'm the only one riding the bike, i'm not really worried about chipping, since i'm pretty careful. but, seems kinda lame to have to do it to prevent against other ppl doing damage to it... :lol: oh well...

Detrich

quick question: how do you safely remove a stick-on tank protector?

can u just peel it off, or do you have to use a hair dryer? does anyone know?

thanks!
~ d

travstoll

quick question: how do you safely remove a stick-on tank protector?

can u just peel it off, or do you have to use a hair dryer? does anyone know?

thanks!
~ d
I use a hair dryer and this decal remover I bought at cycle gear...works everytime and doesn't mess up paint / clear coat

I replace mine roughly once a year on my bikes, because dirt and grime gets under the edges...I am OCD though, not a big deal

Detrich

thanks for the info travstoll! i applied mine not-so-well, being that it was my first crack at it. =\ i figure i'd use it for a while then replace it later with a fresh one. but, it's very sticky. so, wanted to know how to do it without ruining the paint.

Detrich

i'm going to try to remove my botched (crooked) application tonight after work. wish me luck! :p ordered some replacement ones and will try to stick these on next week. didn't know applying a sticker could be so difficult... :lol: