Synthetic vs. Standard

Fastprof

I have had good results with a lot of oils over the last 30 years of riding. Can't honestly say any of them were bad and others were good. I have noticed that some oils make the tranny shift smoother than others, but no miraculous hp gains from the expensive stuff and no engine failures from the cheap automobile oils. I have run plain old Mobile 1 synth with good results, but in the last few bikes I have been running Amsoil synth oil with just as good results. I have never had any clutch slippage or any problems.

My point, they are all good, just pick an oil and feel good about your choice. It just seems you can't go wrong unless you use one of those energy conserving type oils that ruin clutch plates.

F

FZ6Rgurl

Royal purple all the way

Doesn't the owners manual say to use 10W-40 oil? I also use the Royal Purple made for motorcycles. Not that expensive either.

JonKerr

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
In the automotive world this is correct. :D Engine sludge isn't just something they talk about in commercials; it's real.
NOT correct.

You can go back and forth all you want... It wont do anything. This has been a myth for a long time. Dont fall for it.

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Switching_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.aspx

http://valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/

# 4

Is it ok to switch back and forth between regular and synthetic motor oil? I heard this causes leaks? Is this true?

Switching between synthetic and conventional oil does not cause problems. Because the oils are compatible, you can switch back and forth as often as you like.

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

ME_with_a_B

You can go back and forth all you want... It wont do anything. This has been a myth for a long time. Dont fall for it.

# 4

Is it ok to switch back and forth between regular and synthetic motor oil? I heard this causes leaks? Is this true?

Switching between synthetic and conventional oil does not cause problems. Because the oils are compatible, you can switch back and forth as often as you like.
I've tried to read every post in the forum concerning conventional/synthetic oil -- but I didn't see this particular concern addressed: is there anything specific I have to do when changing my oil if I'm switching over from conventional to synthetic?

After all the reading, I'm ready to give Amsoil a try, but like... is there an *extra* step I should take to "ready" the bike for the synthetic? Or as long as I've drained it properly, the switch should be seamless...

motomc2

Just change it like you regularly do. Nothing special. nt

I prefer Motul....but have never had an engine problem due to different brands of oil vs. others.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

i've switched between synthetic and conventional on my car, and it felt like it ran smoother with synthetic. but, i now it's probably mostly psychological. synthetic lasts longer and doesn't break down as easily, so it's probably safer for newer car engines and can withstand more abuse. i'd imagine the same thing being true on a motorcycle?

motomc2

The main

difference you will see is a slightly smoother shift. At least on my other bikes it was noticable. I'll be switching at about 1500 miles.

ME_with_a_B

Just make sure it's drained fully and I would suggest making sure to change the filter too. A lot of oil can be kept in that thing.
Yep -- I change it every time! K&N :thumbup:

THANKS for the replies everyone!!

JonKerr

Elite Member

ClickClick5

"Motorcycle engine oil. As controversial as politics or religion."

I use stock oil for the first 4000 miles, then Shell Rotella-T9 5w-40 synthetic. The "Blue Jug" baby!

ME_with_a_B

You don't need to change it every time. In fact it's better if you only do it every other oil change. Filters work better and become more efficient when they get some build up on them. Up to a point that is. Once you've got the motor thoroughly through break in (after 1000 miles) it's better to change the filter every other change. Especially if you're using K&N.
Hmmmm I had never heard this. :eyebrow: Thanks for the tip. I suppose after I change the oil out this time (from conventional to synthetic) and change my filter to be sure I've gotten out as much of the old style of oil as possible, I won't have to change it the next go round.

I'm kinda bad about remembering to change my oil though... (both car and bike) so I tend to log a lot of miles between changes :)spank:) I guess that's why I'm accustomed to changing the filter each time.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

ME_with_a_B

Just remember, synthetic is oil (on steroids)... they've just "fixed" the chain of molecules to be more consistent from "oil molecule-oil molecule", so mixing between the two isn't a "bad" thing!

On my 63 Dart, I burned through so much oil, that I really only had to change the filter every 6 months, because I put a quart in every month! Never a drop of old oil in it!

On the bike... use "Trip B" so you at least know when you last did an oil change! When it gets near 3Kish, plan to change it!
I had been using Trip B to log my miles for the season, but I checked it today and noticed it somehow got reset at some point because it only has 1000 miles logged. :mad: So much for that!

Yea whoooops I'm well over 3k this go-round. Perhaps thats why I kept thinking it was shifting like crap tonight while I was out for a joy ride.

Oh and woah... I ordered that AMSOIL yesterday, and its getting delivered tomorrow. And that was standard (slow) shipping. *WIN* :D

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member