Suspension setup

Chucker

JSP

Super Moderator
Yup, the 6R lacks adjustability in the suspension... You can get aftermarket springs and such, but you dont get the full range of adjustments like other bikes.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Chucker

If you're going to upgrade your suspension and need to set it up properly, as I am, this type of information is invaluable. With aftermarket parts, we can set the FZ6R up almost perfectly for each of us. What we'll lack, is the ability to easily change that setup. That's OK by me. I don't plan on gaining or losing a lot of weight, nor do I plan on changing my riding style anytime soon.

Chucker

I was thinking going with progressive front spring (1 up in spring rate) and 15W oil.
Personally, from everything I've researched over the last while, I don't like the idea of progressive springs. I'm going with the Race Tech Cartridge Emulators and fork springs to start, and then will probably go with the Race Tech rear spring and Shock Gold Valve kit once I've seen the difference with just the fork upgrade.

FZ6RGUY

chucker. i am looking to do what you just mentioned as well. The front of my fz is so soft. I can almost bottom the front out braking real hard. I want to do track days but fear that the front end is to soft to get at all aggressive on the track.

Chucker

chucker. i am looking to do what you just mentioned as well. The front of my fz is so soft. I can almost bottom the front out braking real hard. I want to do track days but fear that the front end is to soft to get at all aggressive on the track.
If you're going to track the bike, I definitely would be upgrading at least the front. If you're braking hard into the turns, you don't want it to dive like it does. In addition to the better springs, emulators and adjusting your preload so it's bang on for you will make a huge difference. I sourced the springs and for my weight, the rear spring is the same for street or track, but the fronts go from 0.95 street to 1.00 track. Stock is 0.90. Rears are 17.6 stock and they suggest 19.6 for my weight. Big difference.

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Hey Jay, I'm pretty much at the 17K mark right now. Look like sometime before xmas I might need to rebuild the front fork. I was thinking going with progressive front spring (1 up in spring rate) and 15W oil. Not that my driving style required it, but it should help with the extra weight from the luggage. If I toss the bike around a bit, it's soft!

Now what I'm concern is if I get my stealership doing it, I'm a bit worry all they're going to do is turn the shock upside down, change the springs and dump new oil in there. I'll bet $100 they will never use a shock dyno or anything like it to make sure everything is fine. I use to build and re-valve and dyno shocks back in the days in Formula Atalntic (Ohlins) Changing oil only doesn't rebuild a shock...

What do you think...
I loved the hyperpro progressives... Softer ride in town/touring, but when the pressure was on them in heavy corners, they performed beautifully!

My shop guy took the forks out, drained the fluid and compressed the shocks many times making sure it all came out, flushed it with more fluid, repeated then filled with the hyperpro fluid and new springs. I do not believe he has a shock dyno or anything. Not sure most normal shops do...? He test rode it a bunch though haha :D

I wouldnt have the dealer do it though, they will rape you. Do you have any independent shops around?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Chucker

Agreed. I have no doubt Hyperpro progressives are significantly better than stock, but I want the best handling I can get without the riding position of a SS. If I wasn't looking for the best handling I could get, but rather the best improvement for regular street riding and comfort, I'd definitely go with the Hyperpros.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
I had mine lowered 12 or 14mm. Right around .5". Made a significant difference with turn in handling. I did not notice any negative on straights. Then I added the Hyperpro springs and it made it just that much better. Nice tight in the corners and great handling on bumps for commuting. I think with the Hyperpros I put it up to 10mm or something. Cant quite remember, been a while. Best to play with it at 5mm at a time. Don't go too drastic or it can get scary.

Spunky99

Oh goody.....

I have a weekend project now and a good excuse to go run Mulholland Dr.:D

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Chucker

One more reason to looking forward to next spring. With the new suspension, bars, and trying this, it'll be like having a new bike!