Super close calls/unbelieveable saves

06330i

Anyone had a really close call or a save on their bike that when you look back later in the day you can't believe you pulled it off or made it?

Well, yesterday I was riding home in the rain on my zx6r,(not my first time riding in the rain either), it was coming down pretty good. So I was cruising along on the freeway at about 30-35 mph, keeping a solid 4 car lengths in front of me for enough stopping time. Well, this idiot in front of me decided not to pay attention where he was going and didn't noticed the cars slowing in front of him so he slammed his brakes, luckily I was paying attention enough to react. I grabbed my front brake moderately, but it was too much for the conditions, the front locked up and the bike started to lowside out from under me. Knowing not to panic and cause more problems, I let off the front brake, lightly got back into the throttle and slammed my left foot into the ground to right the bike straight up, missed the car in front of me and rolled to a nice safe stop on the shoulder. WHEW! :wreck:

Reactions: JT

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

bmw675

Nice save. I've only had that happen once. Was going down interstate and came over a slight crest in the road. Once I reached the top, I seen traffic was completely stopped right in front of me. I managed not to lock the front up, but I didn't come to a rest until about 3 feet from the car in front of me. 80-0 plus reaction in a matter of less than about 200 feet was enough.
At that point I was more concerned about those behind me, so I maneuvered myself to the side until a few cars were stopped behind me.

WOW that sounds intense did you stop at the store to buy new underwear? I know I would have after that I can only picture it
His underwear....
:eek:

Sparkxx1

Hmm I recall my first time in the rain. It was only a very light drizzle and it had JUST started to come down(lots of oil on the road). On top of that it was one of the first cold days in the fall and I had just come out of my garage not 5 minutes ago...meaning cold tires and cold pavement. Coming onto the highway at moderate speed it seemed like traffic was flowing when all of a sudden I noticed lots of red tail lights. I wasn't following cars closely, but I had more speed than I should have since I was merging into the highway. I hit both brakes gently and I was coming to a stop, just not soon enough. At the very end I ended up locking up the brakes, missing the car in front by mere inches and coming to a stop on the grass to the right of the car. Scariest shit ever! I wasn't going very fast, but every little thing added up. Since then I've learned a lot :D

06330i

WOW that sounds intense did you stop at the store to buy new underwear? I know I would have after that I can only picture it
Haha I actually didn't panic, I pretty much played it off as if nothing happened and went on my way. Now when something closely related to this happened to me 2 years ago when I first started riding, I had to stop and take deep breaths and was shaking like no other lol.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member
Reactions: JT

Bert-Aus

Back 2003 I had a Grey Import Yamaha XJR400, it was my second bike & good fun. I was making my way to an indoor skate park, with my skateboard on my backpack and skate shoes on (back then the gear I had was helmet, gloves and a leather jacket).

I pulled up to the lights leading onto a main road, sitting in the centre of the lane (at this stage not understanding what oil spots equalled).
Lights go green, I power into a right hand turn, and just as I am about to change up to second the rear loses traction, overspins and the bike just about fell over right there. :eek:

I put my right foot down, but being that I am moving I get pulled backwards off the bike, due to my hands over the clutch, as I get pulled backwards the clutch goes in fully which takes power off the rear and almost immediatly the bike rights itself upright. Kind of high siding me back onto the bike:thumbup:

I change into second and power away shaking my head in disbelief that I came out of it ok:facepalm:

When I get to the skatepark 5 mins away I notice that my right shoe is pretty much ripped apart from a short drag on the ground and I feel kind-a :zombie:

Especially had I come off onto my back where my skateboard was strapped on my bag with wheels out! I would have coffined across the intersection:facepalm:

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

bloodypulp

Last year I smashed my jewels on the tank a few times at stop lights. Put on a cup for a while till I got used to da clutch. Does that count? Painful lesson

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator

HotSauce

My friend, girlfriend, and I all had a close call last year...the three of us (each riding separate bikes) were riding home at night after taking one of our weekly trips where we randomly throw a pin on the map, ride to the city, find a random restaurant, and have dinner. My friend, and most experienced rider of the three of us was in the lead, then my girlfriend (who has to date 350 miles on her bike), followed by myself, all staggered on the road a few bike lengths between each of us. We crossed over the highway, which would have given us a straight shot home, to opt for a twistier, more fun looking road we saw on guggle maps...well it turns out after crossing the highway that road turns to dirt and gravel. We all hit it going about 65 mph. I myself locked both wheels a couple of times, but keeping myself calm, let off the brakes and coasted to a stop. Amazingly none of us went down; I'm especially proud (and thankful) of my girlfriend's ability to keep her bike upright, if she hadn't, there would be no question that I would have ran her over. Lesson learned: don't always assume every road is paved, and be extra cautious when exploring at night. Good thread, great stories/learning experiences everyone!

jearnshaw

I had a very close on a KLR when I did my cross country trip coming through Nebraska. The road turned into a gravel road without any warning coming off of a small bridge... not fun when you are rolling along around 60 mph.

Another close one I was on my Honda Shadow leaning into a left turn at 50 mph and hit a patch of frost. I knew not to panic and ease off the throttle and not touch the brakes and I was planning out my route through some grass, but the last second before I went off the road the road was clear and I was able to pull the bike as hard as a can into the left turn....I wish coffee can wake me up that well sometimes.

06330i

Oh forgot to mention one of my other wonderful ones. I ran over a dead black lab that was laying perpendicular to the road, wasn't paying attention, dark out, look up going around 70 miles an hour, and hit it square, luckily I loosened my grip up on the bars and raised my butt off the seat before the impact, the bike just did a nice little bunny hop over the dog and I kept on my way. My buddy next to me was freaking out more than I was lol and bought me a drink for the "skilled" riding by me.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member