Strutting the rear

SloRider

I already have a Roaring Toyz drop link on the rear, but I seriously wanna go a lot lower. I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack and shaking heads about this, but oh well. I'm really short and I have a little bit of a hard time holding my bike up sometimes. Does anyone know where I can get a strut for the rear or if there are any ones that would be interchangeable for our bikes?

SloRider

Oh well, nevermind. I found a custom bike shop near the house. They are gonna keep my bike for a few days and use it as a mock up and they are gonna custom make one for me. Gonna ride like crap, but maybe I will be sitting more comfortably.

JSP

Super Moderator
Have you thought about shaving the seat? How tall are you?

Superzoom

I would have considered shortening the shock by modifying it would be a much more workable and cheaper solution. I would imagine it would just be a question of shortening the actual spring. I'd much rather have just two inches of travel than a hard tail.

SloRider

Will post pic when complete. I'm dropping it off tomorrow morning and I will be picking it up Saturday. They guy told me parts and labor, he will do it for less than $150. Its gonna be tubular, show quality since it is so visible. Will update when complete.

Oh, and by the way, I'm like 5'2" and I'm also gonna get the seat shaved down as well. Only going 1" lower with the strut. I already have it dropped as far as it will go in the front with the stock bars.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

SloRider

that is exactly what a few riders in this area have done...

you only need it "shorter" when you stop... while riding, you want ground clearance....

I would seriously reconsider making it any lower, one hard part drags in a turn and you're dropping her hard...

also, even with just the lowering link, have you changed your foot pegs yet?

Haven't changed the pegs. Is there a reason for this?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Haven't changed the pegs. Is there a reason for this?

Reason to change pegs to possibly a higher riding peg is to not drag/pivot off of them in a corner and crash hard. Since your bike will be so low, handling will be horrible, and you will lose massive amounts of cornering ability.

SloRider

Did you already raise the front forks too? That helps a lot with the height. I'm 5'3" mind you.

I have the forks sitting right on the bottom of the handlebars. Front is as low as it will go with the stock bars. Front fender already bottoms out on the horn sometimes. Might put a set of clip ons on it and relocate the horn to go lower in the front.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Can you touch the ground at all while standing on the bike right now? If you can get the ball of your feet on the ground, leave it alone. You do not need to flat foot at all. You can tilt the bike slightly to one side or the other for better footing.

You are already smacking the horn and you want to go lower in the front? You are asking for serious trouble. That bike will not be safe to ride. Seriously.

SloRider

I can tip-toe on both sides if standing it straight up. I can flat-foot if I lean it to one side. I really just like to be able to sit flat-foot on it completely. I measured the drop. Its 2.25" in the front and 1.75" in the rear.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

SloRider

Start by shaving the seat... is this a new bike? If not, make sure the previous owner didn't raise the seat. It's about a 1" difference. There are boots that will do 1-3" easily....
And... if you ever go to sell the bike, after doing hard mods like what you are talking about... it will be a hard re-sell...
Just looking out for ya man... want all our members to be safe

I feel ya and I appreciate it. Y'all have really got me second guessing this now. I bought the bike brand new and the dealership put the lowering link and kickstand on for me. I lowered the front myself. I also checked to make sure the seat was in the lowest position. I guess you're right though. I need to check into getting the seat shaved down first. Wonder where I can find somewhere to do that? The guy that was gonna do the strut mentioned it, but he said he couldn't do it.