Stripped oil pan bolt

semillerimages

So I had a local motorcycle shop do my 12,000 mile service with which they changed the oil of course.
There was smoke coming off my engine today, so I took it home, removed the left fairing and saw oil drips all over the place, including on the inside of the fairing.
Being not so happy, I checked the tightness of the oil filter and what do you know? It was LOOSE!
Off to Cycle Gear to buy some more oil and another filter and then I come home take off the oil pan bolt and the filter, let it drain and when I go to put the bolt back in it just turns and turns... pull the bolt back out and there are circles of aluminum all around the bolt...

What's it going to take to fix that and do you think the mechanics will blame me or will they actually step up and blame themselves???

Thanks!

*steve

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Yeah what Marty said .
You might be able to find a self tapping one at Auto Parts store and fix it that way .
Did you take pictures before you did work ?

SoCal600

Over sized plug works. I'm a mechanic and I can't count how many times I pulled plugs out on customers cars and had threads come out. I don't trust anyone to work on my vehicals I've done all the work myself. I Even changing my own tires on the FZ6R. the drain bolt doesn't take much torque 31 ft/lbs but I usually just snug it and then give it a little nudge.... Good luck brotha

JSP

Super Moderator
Best option is to replace the pan. I would not trust any other "fix". Do it right.

JSP

Super Moderator
A helicoilshould be available in that size - they don't strip out.
The drain plug in the heli wont strip out, but you can strip the heli in the aluminum pan just the same.

FitZ6R

Seems like I'm the lone voice here, but I think you might as well contact the shop and see what they say, especially if you've been a regular customer. In fairness to them, the threads could have been previously damaged, but they screwed up (pun unavoidable) by sending your bike out in that condition.

Spunky99

This is why I refuse to take my cars and bikes into the dealer.

They can do shoddy work and destroy your property and you are on your own after paying top dollar for bottom feeder work. It isn't common but it does happen. Possibly the reason he overtightened and subsequently stripped the bolt is he forgot to put a new washer and overtightened to compensate. The lowest mechanic on the rung did this and he didn't use a torque wrench obviously.

Call them and see what they say, it can't hurt but don't get mad if they tell you to pound sand. You already touched their work and you will be blamed now.

A self tapping bolt is a good idea but will leave aluminum shavings in the pan that hopefully the oil filter will get before the gear box. $2.00
Better is the removal and heli-coil of the oil pan. $40.00
Even better is the replacement of the oil pan. $410.93 plus gasket and exhaust gaskets.

Boy what a disappointment....

Look on the good side....you didn't blow up the motor because all the oil drained out....

Y

yellowfz

This is why I refuse to take my cars and bikes into the dealer.

A self tapping bolt is a good idea but will leave aluminum shavings in the pan that hopefully the oil filter will get before the gear box. $2.00
Better is the removal and heli-coil of the oil pan. $40.00
Even better is the replacement of the oil pan. $410.93 plus gasket and exhaust gaskets.

Self tapping , if used , the area should be cleaned and then flush out pan of course .

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Jots S.R.M.C.

Like previously stated- Self taping is ok, not the best- you could also rethread..

This is the BEST FIX.. used this more then 5 times on customer bikes..

++ TIME-SERT STRIPPED DRAIN PAN REPAIR KITS ++ Stripped drain pan, leaking oil drain pan stripped, stripped oil pan oil drain pan stripped threads stripped drain pan threads, leaking oil pan threads leaking, leaking oil drain pan. drain plug leak lea

When I ran my own small bike shop (mostly fab work etc) - We came across this issue alot.. happens when you use metal plugs and you subject vehicles to extreme temperatures.. and it makes it worst when they are started up in these temps... Causing metal to extract, retract causes these threads to go over time....

This will happen on any classic bike.. Ton's of CB-750s are notorious for this..

Hopefully this reachs you in time !

Last edited:

Y

yellowfz

Like previously stated- Self taping is ok, not the best- you could also rethread..

This is the BEST FIX.. used this more then 5 times on customer bikes..

++ TIME-SERT STRIPPED DRAIN PAN REPAIR KITS ++ Stripped drain pan, leaking oil drain pan stripped, stripped oil pan oil drain pan stripped threads stripped drain pan threads, leaking oil pan threads leaking, leaking oil drain pan. drain plug leak lea

When I ran my own small bike shop (mostly fab work etc) - We came across this issue alot.. happens when you use metal plugs and you subject vehicles to extreme temperatures.. and it makes it worst when they are started up in these temps... Causing metal to extract, retract causes these threads to go over time....

This will happen on any classic bike.. Ton's of CB-750s are notorious for this..

Hopefully this reachs you in time !
Good find and product . :thumbup: