Steering Damper

Funkmaxtor

So has anyone found or installed a steering damper on their 6R? I would like to put one on once the weather starts to get bad (since I won't be riding in snow!) Anything specific to look for?

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator

stuna

at 3200 mi i see no need for one . now my drz400s , thats a diff story . it needs one . after i bought it in 02 , coming down a dirt road #$%^%^ i need a damper .so i put on a scotts . i thought i would put it on the 6r but i feel no need for it .
as it is desinged , as a beginner bike , i bet the steering angels help it NOT be a tankslapper :D

Funkmaxtor

I emailed GPR to see if they have plans to produce a stabilizer for the FZ6R. The reply I received seems that they are looking into the market. So hopefully there will be a stabilizer out there soon.

stuna

if its doing this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1srcQMa_0]YouTube - [Motorcycle Accident]TT-Tankslapper-19sec[/ame]
then you need one :D

Heineken

Elite Member

Detrich

there is a group buy on another site for the GPR right now. $365 shipped, which from what i've been told, is a great price. i don't like how it looks, but i guess it's a piece of safety equipment. so, i was consider getting it.

but, i need some help understanding how these work, exactly... ie, how does a steering damper prevent tank slapping? and, how does it affect day-to-day riding, if at all?

can someone with more knowledge about them do a short write-up to help educate how they work, and whether or not they are really needed?

thanks! =)

yfz6r

Personally, I don't see why this would be needed on our bike. Everything is new and solid. If you're putting a lot of force on the triple while turning, a problem may develop with time.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

I see... Hmm. I also noticed looking at pix from the AMA racers that they all have these dial-style stabilizers on the center of the triple. I'm assuming all the MotoGP guys use them too then?

Vulpine

Shindy makes a Daytona Universal Steering Stabilizer that runs around $200. Does anyone know if this would be applicable to our bike? I lowered my forks a little to help in the corners. I haven't had any issues with headshake, but a little preventive measures go a long way.

iSpoolin

I bought the GPR for my Daytona. However I think you could honestly retrofit one onto the 6R, just get a machine shop to make the brackets for you!

richierich781

i was randomly thinking about a steering damper for our 6r and i did a google search. found this link for an application for 09-11 xj6 diversion. I wonder it this will fit our 6r.
Motorcycle Steering Dampers » Toby

Detrich

Does anyone know if installing a steering damper makes one more prone to tipping over at slow speed maneuvering?

Someone told me over the weekend that a lotta riders end up dumping their bikes right after getting a steering damper put on- namely because it changes the responsiveness and feel of the steering- ESP at slow speed maneuvers, like u-turns etc...

Thoughts & feedback?

Detrich

Re: GPR V4 Steering Damper / Dampener Installed...

I had the dealer install the GPR V4 that I bought on the R6 forum group buy ($375) during my 4k mile service... And, since no one really asked about it, I guess I'll post some thoughts and observations here... :)

Let's just say I'm a believer now, and the difference is not only a noticeable improvement but inspires more confidence in the handling both on freeways and when cornering in the canyons...

The one I got has a black dial that turns both directions 360•. I've been just using it set at 1. I tried it at 0 and it felt completely stock during stand-still, but u can still feel the dampening on the road, which is nice.

I accidentally dialed it to 20 in a parking lot when I was messing around. And, since it turns 360• I learned that I HAVE to be careful. At 20, the bars will NOT move. I was about to head out then suddenly realized the damn bars were not turning... So I stopped right away and then dialed it back to 0. . Crisis averted. x_X

After that I decided to leave it set at 1 so I have one notch buffer and dont accidentally put it into 20 again like a dumbass... (12 o'clock position is where u define the setting.)

After this, I'm actually kinda disappointed Yamaha doesn't include a basic steering damper with the 6R or R6 when all the other manufacturers (Honda, Suzuki etc.) are doing so.

Anyhow. For those interested in getting one, it is definitely a performance mod that's worthwhile I think. :)

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Re: GPR V4 Steering Damper / Dampener Installed...

I had the dealer install the GPR V4 that I bought on the R6 forum group buy ($375) during my 4k mile service... And, since no one really asked about it, I guess I'll post some thoughts and observations here... :)

Let's just say I'm a believer now, and the difference is not only a noticeable improvement but inspires more confidence in the handling both on freeways and when cornering in the canyons...

The one I got has a black dial that turns both directions 360•. I've been just using it set at 1. I tried it at 0 and it felt completely stock during stand-still, but u can still feel the dampening on the road, which is nice.

I accidentally dialed it to 20 in a parking lot when I was messing around. And, since it turns 360• I learned that I HAVE to be careful. At 20, the bars will NOT move. I was about to head out then suddenly realized the damn bars were not turning... So I stopped right away and then dialed it back to 0. . Crisis averted. x_X

After that I decided to leave it set at 1 so I have one notch buffer and dont accidentally put it into 20 again like a dumbass... (12 o'clock position is where u define the setting.)

After this, I'm actually kinda disappointed Yamaha doesn't include a basic steering damper with the 6R or R6 when all the other manufacturers (Honda, Suzuki etc.) are doing so.

Anyhow. For those interested in getting one, it is definitely a performance mod that's worthwhile I think. :)

Very nice! I really need to get me one for the R6. Just seem so expensive I have not been able to pull the trigger. :(

Detrich

The group buy on the R6 forum was a killer deal Jay. I looked both on eBay and at various sites. And the price was still $20 cheaper than any other place online after taxes & shipping...

Cycle Sector is in San Diego, so unfortunately I had to pay CA sales tax. But, u would prolly just pay $10 for shipping.

Just keep an eye out or ping the sales rep from Cycle Sector on the R6 forum. He was very helpful. Actually, I think he's parting out his bike cuz he's having a baby and never rides his bike. LOL. So sad.