Sprocket change help pls

Domiano

I want to change my sprockets for max acceleration. I have no idea wht sizes sprockets to buy nor the chain. Can some please tell me the number of teeth i want for both sprockets and a chain that would fit nice. I have a 2013 fz6r so if you can help pls do thank alot!

Also has anyone done this mod and liked the outcome?

Domiano

Okay im liking the idea of the -1/+2 but im not sure what that means. Still learning about my bike. Im guessing that means to take 1 tooth off the front and add 2 teeth to the rear. If thats the case then i need to figure out the stock number of teeth for each sprocket. Is tht correct?

derf1278

Stock is 16 front, 46 rear. -1/+2 will give great acceleration and wheelie power, but you lose top end speed, and the speedometer will be off

Bruno

Stock is 16 front, 46 rear. -1/+2 will give great acceleration and wheelie power, but you lose top end speed, and the speedometer will be off

In this case the speedometer will show a highier speed... You lose top speed, but it will show more top speed... is that right?

derf1278

That's right, the speedometer will show you a speed faster than you are actually going. Going up to a 17t front sprocket will make the speedometer almost perfectly accurate.

Do keep in mind that 520/530 chains have 5/8" links. So, adding two teeth to the rear (2 x 0.625") means you need a longer chain.
Because of the rear sprocket size it tends to straighten the links more than the front (uses more chain) and this has a greater impact on chain length than the smaller front sprocket...

That said, if you do both the -1 / +2 you may have just enough adjustment with a stock chain length.

FWIW: if the 6R takes the same Sunstar OEM 46 tooth as the FZ6, the Sunstar 48tooth weighs about a 1/3 less than the stock 46 tooth.

Domiano

Ok thanks alot guys so a 15 tooth front and a 48 back. Im sure i can find a chain but does anyone have recommendations on a specific chain? Im thinking of getting a gold one to match my levers but a colored chain might be overkill tbh lol.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

Domiano

Thanks guys. I just ordered a 220 link Bikemaster 520 gold chain and a vortex 520, 15 and 48 tooth sprocket. I got it all in a kit so i should get it all at once. also ordered some bar ends and a tinted visor for my helmet.

Ill let u guys know how it is once I get the sprockets changed and some fresh tires. I got some pilots siting in the garage just waiting to get put on

Rear sprock aluminum???

If so, its life will be much shorter than the oem steel one!

They are short lived. I'd send it back and get a steel one.
The other option is the high end steel gear on an aluminum center. Yer talking $80 or so...

Im at 26,### mi on a 530 Sunstar on the FZ6. Im guessing those are done at 10k mi or less. Never ran one on the street.

Domiano

They are short lived. I'd send it back and get a steel one.
The other option is the high end steel gear on an aluminum center. Yer talking $80 or so...

Im at 26,### mi on a 530 Sunstar on the FZ6. Im guessing those are done at 10k mi or less. Never ran one on the street.
Dang that sucks... Well i think ima get it tomorrow in the mail and just used it lol. im just really excited to add the sprockets and new tires. Ill end up getting a steel rear if i prefer the change over OEM

Kidmog

Just went up +1 in back with a 520 120 link JT chain and a 16t - 47t jt sprockets. All good but i have no adjustments left. Can i just take out 2links?

Last edited: