Spring Assisted Motorcycle Slider Anyone?

abuckler

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I have been interested in motorcycles for years but it wasn’t until recently that I started looking into purchasing one. My budget is low so I was looking into a totaled bike and fixing it up. I started visiting salvage yards and I noticed that about 50 percent of the bikes had sliders on them but the bikes were still getting damaged. I thought the whole idea of a motorcycle slider was to save your bike. What I believe people over look is the fact that by adding a motorcycle slider you are GREATLY increasing the force of the fall onto one point; your slider. So I have designed a spring assisted motorcycle slider. I have researched springs and have found that I am able to mount a 400 pound spring into the slider, which I feel is plenty. I am currently building a drop testing device and have built a prototype slider with a 200 pound spring. Soon I will upload pictures of the prototype and when I’m finished testing I will upload a video of the testing taking place. The prototyped slider diameter is 2 ¾ inches I think I can make the diameter closer to 2 inches. The design is “Patent Pending” but I would love to hear suggestions and comments about the design like the mounting base or the sliding puck holding device. It seems like depending on the bike it needs a spacer or something so the mounting base can be bolted to the frame. Is that correct? Thanks for your time and happy riding.

Attachments

JSP

Super Moderator
It depends on the type of crash. Sliders are meant to help save the frame in a stand still drop or slow low-side. They wont help at all really on a high-side or high speed crash.

Your slider will need to withstand 400 pounds sliding in a horizontal motion, not just a drop at a stand still. All sliders I have seen work as they should during their intended use. They are usually made of Delrin which will grind down just enough during the slide, and the hardware bolt is meant to bend slightly but not snap.

Last edited:

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member