Socal racers, unite! [[now w/ PICS]] - May 25th - Willow Springs

M

MarinaFazer

Re: Socal racers, unite! - May 25th - Willow Springs

I am green with envy!

O

oso2k

So does Willow have noise restrictions on aftermarket pipes like Laguna? This will be my first track day in Cali and it seems things are run a little different out here? Anything else I should know about BEFORE the riders meeting?

:steve:
I think they do but it's not strictly enforced. Willow is in a very secluded area unlike CA Speedway or Laguna Seca, etc.

Below are my favorite sequence of turns (3-4a-4b-5).

Attachments

O

oso2k

Thank you very much for your hospitality Louis, I appreciate it. Looking forward to a nice bench racing session.

BTW, anyone interested in some nice tequila? I can fulfill that part...
Someone gave me some El Jimador at my housewarming back in January. But, I prefer Patron or Hornitos. And I have some Barcardi too.

Wavex

So does Willow have noise restrictions on aftermarket pipes like Laguna? This will be my first track day in Cali and it seems things are run a little different out here? Anything else I should know about BEFORE the riders meeting?

John will confirm, but to my knowledge, there's no noise restrictions @ Big Willow. Everything else should be virtually the same... passing the tech inspection is not hard at all either... they spend about 5 seconds looking at the bike :)

O

oso2k

That's not entirely a good thing in my book :D
TrackDaz is lax. I've had one guy at FastTrackRiders tell me to tighten up my setback plates and that he would check me again before letting me onto the pit lane. Sure enough, he was there but he gave me a thumbs up.

Cali rider

No noise restrictions at all for this track. Here is the prep requirements for Hypercycle: faqs

Beyond their list, it's important to have tires in new or near perfect condition. This track is all about very high speed right-hand turns and if you have any doubts, replace your tires.

DefyInertia

So who is going to have an onboard camera? I may try and have my wife's pink sony point and shoot mounted to take some video but we'll see. Anyone else going to be taping? We should go all out with the video stuff since there are so many of us (and we all know Wavex has the mad video editing skillz).

No noise restrictions at all for this track. Here is the prep requirements for Hypercycle: faqs

Beyond their list, it's important to have tires in new or near perfect condition. This track is all about very high speed right-hand turns and if you have any doubts, replace your tires.
Yeah, that faq page is super brief. :eek: No matter...my bike and gear will be safer than required. I'll be running brand new 002RS's....highspeed turns scare me. I'm much feel much more comfortable with tight and medium speed shorter turns. Not sure how to overcome that.

The website mentions free suspension adjustment. Is the free suspension booth a zoo? Strategies for getting with the guy early? Just throwing my thoughts out there.....

Cali rider

Yeah, that faq page is super brief. :eek: No matter...my bike and gear will be safer than required. I'll be running brand new 002RS's....highspeed turns scare me. I'm much feel much more comfortable with tight and medium speed shorter turns. Not sure how to overcome that.

The website mentions free suspension adjustment. Is the free suspension booth a zoo? Strategies for getting with the guy early? Just throwing my thoughts out there.....
I've never run with this org before so I don't know how it will be for the suspension setup. If you have your values from other events you'll be fine to start the day as you'll be learning the track in the first session. Sag won't change, just damping.

As far as tires, I used those BT-002 with great success. The target HOT pressures I had were 31-F, 29-R. As Willow will be between 85° and 100°F on May 25 it may take a couple of sessions to get it just right. I'll help you out with getting hot pressures right off the track as I won't have anything else to do!

O

oso2k

So who is going to have an onboard camera? I may try and have my wife's pink sony point and shoot mounted to take some video but we'll see. Anyone else going to be taping? We should go all out with the video stuff since there are so many of us (and we all know Wavex has the mad video editing skillz).
I have a Canon ZR65MC sitting at home & my camera mount. Just needs a charge. I'll probably try to stop by for session 2, 3, or 4 to get my suspension tuned on my R6S and to take some pics.

2nd session will probably be good time to hit them up. For some reason, I have a feeling it's a guy from Cycle Depot doing suspension tuning.

Wavex

I'll bring the GoPro camera, but I don't know if I am going to run it or not... maybe in the afternoon... I am still learning the track and the bike, so I don't want any distractions :)

If there's video, I'll gladly do the video editing though :rockon:

DefyInertia

I hear you on the distractions. I tend to do stupid things when the camera is rolling. Either way, be sure to bring the camera.

And I'm going to be the only one with an FZ6??? Started preparing my bike after riding yesterday....pretty much just ripping everything off...I've found that is much easier than taping, cuts weight (championship on the line, you know), and makes a minor crash cheaper to fix.

Hellgate

I'm getting closer on this one guys. Two more loops to close. I should know by tomorrow. I really hope we can make, it looks like fun! :thumbup:

DefyInertia

I'm getting closer on this one guys. Two more loops to close. I should know by tomorrow. I really hope we can make, it looks like fun! :thumbup:
You might be coming????? That would be awesome! :rockon: Who is "we"?

Hellgate

You might be coming????? That would be awesome! :rockon: Who is "we"?
I really hope so Nate. I spoke with my ex about picking up my days with my son this week, Thursday, and she seems okay with it. Then I need to get my bike fully tuned. Its in the shop getting the PC3 put on and dyno tuned. The good thing is I receive my ECU flash today, basically a Buell 1125R Race flash. (Thank you Ohiosportbike.com!!! - Dave you ROCK!!)

So if AF1 Racing can work their magic my wife and I will hit the road on Thursday.

I bought a trailer at harbor Freight today and began putting it together and my trailer hitch was installed on the car too.

Like I said we are getting close! :thumbup:

Hellgate

5-25-09 Trackday at Willow Springs 2.5 mile Road Course (Memorial Day)

Cali_Rider and I are all signed up for this event (him in the Advanced group, and me in Intermediate)... anyone else interested?
What is the difference between Intermediate and Advanced? I assume all racers, pretty much in Advanced?

The reason I ask is I run Group 1 (Beginner and Intermediate) I'm an advanced intermediate but could probably go to Group 2 (Advanced/Racers) at the track I normally go to but probably not on a new track.

I'd like some coaching to learn the track and be safe there. I suppose sign up for intermediate?

DefyInertia

Pete, I vote for intermediate based on everything you mentioned. You can always move up, but on street tires I'd be praying for you if you did. I'm guessing intermediate is going to have a wide range of pace...always seems to be the case when you can pick your own group (big part of why I preferred NESBA).

Hellgate

Thanks Nate, I agree, intermediate. I'm running the Pirelli Corsa III's, they are a dual compound tire and stick GREAT. I've not had the rear chirp on me yet, so far. That said if the tune goes as planned I'll be up 20 hp at 8,500 rpm - near AMA Superbike hp territory, another reason to begin slower.