So...I quit

CrazyCawi

Smoking today. Its not easy. My industry, every car guy for the most part smokes. Been smoking for a couple years, Camel crush to be exact. I love the feeling of inhaling, and I love the minty mentholness....But Im to young. I am young enough to make the choice and reverse the ill effects or atleast minimalize them.

Currently using Nicorette Mints @2MG Nicotene to sooth the craving, but I still desire the repetitive act of smoking. But with the nicotene in my system, If I were to smoke I would get sick so it keeps me from grabbing a cig. So far today is going good, but its effin hard.

To the non smokers, I probably sound retarded its just hard to convey the urge/feeling/desire.

Good luck to you. I was smoking for 10 or so years. Then I decided to quit cold turkey once my kids moved in with me. Been 7 years now.

Sparkxx1

It took me so much effort to get my grandma to slow down/almost quit. She was smoking 2 packs of unfiltered cigs a day and for the past 5 yrs she's gone down to 1 a day or 1 every other day. It might not make a huge difference, but it makes me feel better. KEEP GOING!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

kevin8198

Elite Member
Last edited:

Spunky99

I quit smoking 10 years ago.
I used Zyban to do it as I failed to quit many times before.
self hypnosis, Nicorette gum, switch to pipes, cold turkey etc. all failed.

You have 3 addictions...First there is the physical addiction to nicotine.
Then there is the physical addiction of oral gratification of inhaling, blowing smoke rings etc.
Then there is the mental addiction of habbit...Cig in the morning, after lunch, after sex etc.

The Zyban made me able to not give a rat's A$$ about anything until I forgot about the habit part and the physical nicotine addiction was gone. Then it was just the oral gratification which sunflower seeds or gum for a while if you need it. I didn't.

Of course with quitting cigarettes comes the eventual exercise routine to get the lungs and body back into shape as you probably haven't exercised in a while as the cigarettes screw up your breathing. I started inline skating and did my first marathon within 6 months after quitting a 28 year 3/4 pack a day habit. Shattered my wrist and broke my back 6 months later skating without any skate pads on but have done 2 more marathons and some 10Ks too. Now when I skate it is AGATT....LOL...like on a motorcycle, inline skating is extremely LOW IMPACT until you fall and then it is extremely HIGH IMPACT.

mjesenovec

Wow! Keep up the Good work. I just quit this past Saturday, so today is my Day 3. Really hasn't been terribly difficult. I probably go through 3-6 pieces of 4mg nic gum a day, which isn't bad at all. I've also been drinking a lot of green tea. Trying to just readjust my habits for a healthier lifestyle.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

auniquesoul

You can do it! Hang in there...they say it take 21 days to break a habit...so you have 20 more to go!! Good luck!

Hoops 09Raven

Best of luck to you! My mother passed away 4 years ago from lung cancer, so I know what smoking can do to you. Which is the primary reason I do not smoke.

blkbrd

Elite Member

AngryAnt

CC, I have a friend in Atlanta that has has good success with those "electronic" cigarettes. Its a reusable gizmo bigger than a cigarette, and you load it with a cartridge. It has a heating element that basically creates water vapor and nicotine, so you're still getting your "oral fixation" as he calls it and your nicotine, even your "smoke" (even though its not harmful to you).

You can reduce the amount of nicotine over time that you put in the cartridge, and eventually stop altogether. He seemed to be weaning off rather well, although I don't know for myself. Just being in the same room as someone that's smoking kills my lungs, can't stand to do it if I wanted to. That combined with that fact that sh*t's expensive...

FlyZ6R

Best of luck CC! I wish I could offer some awesome quitting advice, but I don't smoke. The reason I never started was because I knew that I would more than likely get addicted and not be able to quit. Having several friends and relatives who have quit, or tried to quit, and seeing how difficult it was for them reaffirmed my decision to stay away!

It can be done! Be determined and disciplined. We're all rooting for you!

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

mjesenovec

If you have an Android phone, search for an app called Quit Now in the marketplace. There is a free version that works great. you fill in some basic info, like the last time you smoked, how many you usually smoke per day, price of a pack, etc. and it keeps track of how many cigs you've saved, money saved, since you quit. there are also motivational tips and advice from other quitters built into the app, and a widget you can put on your home screen. Every time you turn on your phone it shows how many cigs you haven't smoked already, how many days smoke free, and how much money you have saved so far. it's a great app, and has helped me when i needed it.

Again it's free, but there's a "pro" version for $2.99. it's not necessary to buy it, but if you find the app helpful, it's always nice to support the devs.

Hellgate

I dipped in the Army for years. Mainly to keep going when on patrol at night, and for something to do. After my last deployment I found I was actually hooked. Usually I'd return from deployment and just stop. Well I quit for good about 14 months ago. I still get the urge when stress levels go up but I finally learned that in 10 to 15 minutes the urge will pass and I Don't think about it for days or weeks.

Hang tough, the first couple of weeks is the toughest, but just set it as a goal for yourself and do it. I know that sounds overly simple but bottomline its up to you.

Good luck!

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk