Smoke

Username

It might just be my paranoia or it might be a real problem... It's currently about 40 degrees Fahrenheit outside and I just started up my bike before i rode around the block for a bit, before riding I noticed some smoke coming from the exhaust and I figured it was just like a car when it starts on a chilly day. It's not a solid white or solid black color, its just 'regular' colored smoke if that makes any sense... I feel like there was more of it after I let it sit for a bit after starting it... I'm no mechanic and im brand new to bikes so i could use some help as to what this could be. Is it just because its cold outside? Is it because it hasn't been started for a couple months now because of the winter? Or is it a serious problem with the motor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lilday

Probably just rain water, or condensation on the down pipes.

It will also happen if you've cleaned it and sprayed something like WD40 to clean the down pipes.

Username

Probably just rain water, or condensation on the down pipes.

It will also happen if you've cleaned it and sprayed something like WD40 to clean the down pipes.
So it should be gone pretty soon right? It's getting warming and i'll start driving it more often in about a week, should I just wait and see how it does after driving it for a day or two and then determine if its something else other than condensation or something?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FastFreddy

Exhaust smoke colour and their causes :

Grey = Water vapour, normal for cold engine on a cold day.
White = Head gasket blown and water in exhaust, bad.
Blue = Oil, bad.
Black = rich mixture, easy to fix.

Also note the little hole in the bottom of the muffler to let the condensation out, sometimes this drips.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

FastFreddy

I saw a car with lots of white with a dash of blue and black coming out the the other day. The driver wasn't worried. That would effect me emotionally if it was my car, I hate it when something is wrong with my car or bike, its like my heart hurts or I'm sad and slightly depressed until its fixed. It's almost as bad as sitting in the courtesy chair holding a handbag when you're gf is in the cheap clothes with big price tag shop. (you know, when I used to have hair)

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

FastFreddy

$1000 for a truck radiator, woah, the joys of running a truck.

Make sure you get new mass-dampeners (rubber grommets) for it, they get brittle.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

FastFreddy

Having the dash quiet with no rattles would definitely be worth it, especially after putting up with it already over Winter.