Shifting down to first, Clicking

jfont

So this is my first motorcycle so I have no expertise in the subject and feel I am just doing something completely wrong as a novice to motorcycle riding:

When shifting between first and second at a higher RPM the gear pedal jumps under my foot like a shaking. I imagine that its hopping between gears or that something mechanically isn't meeting up. This also is when the clutch lever is pulling in all the way..... I have no problem like this with my other gears and it seems to not happen(between first and second) if I'm at a lower rpm(4k in second going down to first). I don't feel like this should be a problem though(shifting down to first from a little above 4k).

The funny thing is that I think this was happening from day one when I got the bike brand new. Any ideas as to whats going on?

jfont

Do you know what is mechanically happening?

indian9990

I have the same problem too but I've noticed you just need to go slower. I think it's just hard for it to switch down to first when you're going faster.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Bozman

It's kinda difficult to get the gear shifting down. I'll be willing to bet you nay be applying too much clutch as well. Try using the 2 finger method and keep the other two on the grip. It may help with the timing of it all. And yeah, what the post above said..... don't be a puss about it. It won't break.

JSP

Super Moderator
Make sure your clutch lever has the proper free play.

jfont

^^ Improper adjustment will make it harder to shift down to 1st.
I just had it in for my first service. I wanted them to look over everything before I did the rest of the services so I would assume they thought it was fine but you never know what they actually check haha. I will check it out.

Marcus D

Same problem plus one other one.

I have 850 miles on my 2013 FZ6R and sometimes it will not go down into 1st or neutral for a good 5-6 pushes down, its done this maybe 4 times so far and the last time I shifted up into 3rd then back down and it still refused to go into 1st and I had to rev the bike for a second and then push down and it worked, the other gears shift fine but sometimes 2nd down to 1st sticks. I looked at the shift lever and I don't see anything wrong... and now that I think of it could it be that when I came to a complete stop I was not in first (I do that sometimes) so I had to roll the bike or something to get it to go?

Also side note one time when I was going like 35-40 the bike just turned off or the throttle stopped working because the bike was still running (I think it was still running but because I had to stop in the middle of the street to correct this issue I couldn't really pay attention to details) but the throttle completely stopped working and I had turn it off and then back on for it to work again.

Any ideas/thoughts are much appreciated.

Pointman1776

Elite Member

BigRobb

Yea, I agree with pointman here. Totally normal. You could always swing your bike down to the dealer since it's still brand new and have them check it out? Depends on the dealer I guess. I'd wait to see if it happens again, you might have nudged the side stand by accident.

Sent from my C5170 using Tapatalk 4

Marcus D

Ya maybe rolling the bike will fix the gear not going into 1st problem but ya the second thing only happened once and I am positive that I didn't hit the kill switch, the lights were on which makes me think maybe the engine was on and the throttle stopped working or the engine just turned off completely off on its own. I will see if these problem persist and then maybe take to a shop.

EsrTek

Your 2nd issue was most likely caused by road debris..a rock or something might have hit your kickstand safety switch. If it thinks the kickstand is down, it will cut off.
Just a guess really...