Settle a bet...

Brock Kickass

My boss and I have a friendly disagreement going. Based on no factual evidence whatsoever, he claims a high-preformance car has better inhernet cornering ability than a high-preformence bike. We have excluded cars with really crazy aero mods from this dispute (think F1 or Indycar). Anyone have any facts to back either one of us up? I had a brief scan for some lap time info, but didn't find much. I would love, just out of curiosity, to see lap times on the same track for, say, an FZ1 and a Porsche Turbo...

stormbringer

Cars will alway corner better than a bike ,but it also depends on the type of car/ bike and rider driver,but like for like 4 wheels will always be faster /more stable
in the bends.
However I can out corner (speed) most cars on the road because most cars arn't driven the way we ride.
In my Renaultsport Clio 197 F1 R27R I can set faster lap times than my Aprilia Mille Edwards.
The Clio top speed at Snetterton on back straight through timing lights(old layout) 132 mph 1.22 lap time ,Mille (153mph)1.23,the Clio a much slower top speed but much faster in the twisties.
My Edwards

3 of my Clios

Built at the Alpine sports car factory In Dieppe France .

Last edited:

Chucker

Agreed. I've always been able to outrun a buddy driving a car in the twisties, but it's usually because the car driver didn't have the balls to keep up. I recently saw a youtube video of a Bugatti racing a bike. The rider is dragging a knee quite often, and you can tell the Bugatti driver isn't pushing it like he could.

stormbringer

The other problem with our XJ6's is ground clearence ,check out the pegs and side stand on mine at Snetterton a few weeks ago.

rr_double_rr

Performance always comes down to two things, when talking cornering on it's own. Tire traction patch size, and driver testicular (or ovarian) fortitude. We can out accelerate almost any car out there, with a couple exceptions, but they have a much larger bucket to work with so they can really rail a corner. They don't feel as comfortable doing it though, because they can't lean in.

A properly set up and properly driven car will always outcorner a bike.

stormbringer

Check out F1 lap times Vs Moto GP (the 2 top classes for Cars and Bikes ) The F1 comes out a clear winner.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

FitZ6R

I stand corrected and out a lunch.
Buying lunch is probably a better deal than winning a "friendly" bet with the boss. :D

But seriously: Lateral G-force is a standard performance test for cars. Has anyone seen comparable data for bikes? I understand that the usual accelerometer won't work on a bike, becasue of the lean angle, but it should be possible to calculate lateral acceration from speed and turn geometry.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

Roaddawg

Here you go....[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UDXcotDqDs]Car vs Motorcycle (Race) - YouTube[/ame]

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

the_cr

There's another video somewhere of a Litrebike racing a Nissan GT-R. The bike was faster to take off in the straights but the Nissan was faster in the twisties.

The bike loses time when it has to get vertical before leaning to the other side.

JonKerr

Elite Member

stormbringer

Last edited:

Detrich

i think it depends on (a) where you're riding and (b) what type of bike & car we are talking about...

in a flat, straight line, a sport bike will take the lead initially off the line. but, if you're talking about competing against a veyron or lamborghini or some insane supercar, the car will take over after about 10 seconds and leave the bike in the dust, as it has a much higher top speed.

in the twisties, a lot more depends on the skills of the rider & driver and the type of car. a skilled biker will prolly outrun your average driver. but, a skilled driver will easily outpace an average skilled rider.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member