Serviceing done, crack on sump? opinions needed.

Dan McLean

Took bike to get her 12 month service done so as she is covered for the second part of warranty, the mechanic asked me if my bike had been leaking oil, I said " it has never leaked oil or left a spot anywhere" He told me there was a hairline crack on the sump next to a bolt and he would seal it up. He said it could have been bumped or something like that to cause it, I did tell him i clean my bike at least twice a year and there has never been a leak, also I have never bumped it as I take speciual care of my bike. I was a bit worried however he knows what he is doing. Got my bike home and did some investigation. I found he had put chemi weld round the bit on the sump where the sump bolt goes, so the crack bust be on the threaded area of the sump where the bolt goes in. I know what has caused this so will call them back, but opinions are welcome as to how you think this has been done. Check the photo and you will see the bold has no marks so it hasnt been dropped or banged against anything. So now i have a FZ6R which is 11 and a half months old with chemi weld paste on the sump....

Attachments

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Dan McLean

Contacted the Yamaha dealer this avo, told the guy i want the sump changed as it is damaged. He said it will be ok and wont leak... I told him i want it fixed under warranty, after all if i go to sell it who would buy a bike with a cracked sump. He said it was maybe with its pervious service. maybe the guy over tightened it, "who did your last service" he asked,,, "You did" I replied.
They are contacting Yamaha to see if it is under the warranty or not, but i did tell him that warranty or not i want it fixed, im not having a 11 and a half month old bike with a fecked sump.
It is no wonder i like doing stuff myself, least i know it is done properly...

Dustin600

That's a terrible way to fix a crack. I'd lose my job if I did something like that. I hope it gets fixed properly under warranty.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Dan McLean

i work on my own bike because factory warnys are worthless unless something big goes wrong i got a 5 year transferable one just so it looks good when i sell the bike but i hate dealing with dealerships/shops its not worth the hassle for me soooo now it is only 86 bucks for a new one and 8 bucks for the gasket and the swap would be easy ish I'm not saying you should do this but i would if i was really worried about the crack.... i don't think the weld would really bother me but a few oil changes down the road and it might be bigger and may leak then i would change it out or tell them to.

here is the gasket and pan
2012 Yamaha FZ6R OEM Oil Cleaner | MotoSport Canada
Thanks for that, handy to know, but im gonna get them to do it as it shouldn't cost me anything, the crack wasnt there before which tells me they over tightened the sump bolt, so the problem is with them. Once it is done i will never darken their doorstep again and i will do all the work myself.

JSP

Super Moderator
OMG!!! I would not go back to them EVER! That is horrible! What is that? JB Weld? Nothing can "bump" that area. They either massively overtightened the bolt or something. They owe you an oil pan. Then never go there again. Anyone that would return a bike like that under warranty is a crook and a sham in my book.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Bloke

Send the photo into Yamaha. I'm sure they'd review their dealership if they had heir brand associated with that shoddy work.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
S

SkyOrDie

Dan,

Thanks for reminding me why I do my own maintenance. Gorillas and aluminum alloys don't mix. What an a-hole response by the dealer. It's not a warranty issue. It's a f-up issue. They f'd up. They should have replaced the oil pan up front and begged for your forgiveness. I agree with sending the pics to Yamaha. You should also spread the dealer's name and poor reputation around your local riders.

-Stan

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Andy

Policy not warranty

Contacted the Yamaha dealer this avo, told the guy i want the sump changed as it is damaged. He said it will be ok and wont leak... I told him i want it fixed under warranty, after all if i go to sell it who would buy a bike with a cracked sump. He said it was maybe with its pervious service. maybe the guy over tightened it, "who did your last service" he asked,,, "You did" I replied.
They are contacting Yamaha to see if it is under the warranty or not, but i did tell him that warranty or not i want it fixed, im not having a 11 and a half month old bike with a fecked sump.
It is no wonder i like doing stuff myself, least i know it is done properly...
I am a service manager for a western Star truck dealership. I can tell you this much. That is not a waranty issue. If they send that part in they will recieve a charge back. With that being said, they just need to make it right. They should do the right thing and take care of the repair. "policy" they pay for the repair. The parts dept will sell service dept the part @ cost or close to it and service will have to eat the labor. Thats the right thing to do....based on you stating they have performed all your service work. Thats how you keep customers and brand loyalty. Talk to the service manager, then the general manager and on up the line till you get it taken care of.

CtrlAltDl

Yet another example of why you should do all your own work on your vehicles. I simply don't trust anyone to touch my bikes or cages.

He definitely owes you a new oil pan and gasket. Don't settle for anything less.

Dan McLean

OMG!!! I would not go back to them EVER! That is horrible! What is that? JB Weld? Nothing can "bump" that area. They either massively overtightened the bolt or something. They owe you an oil pan. Then never go there again. Anyone that would return a bike like that under warranty is a crook and a sham in my book.
Yup I totaly agree with everything you say, it is chemi weld, similar to JB weld, just a chemical paste. Checked it this morning and there is two drips under the sump, yet i havent rode it since i brought it back from the shop.. Is a holiday here monday so will call tuesday and tell them im bringing the bike back and to call me when the sump is replaced,

Dan McLean

Send the photo into Yamaha. I'm sure they'd review their dealership if they had heir brand associated with that shoddy work.
Well, I already told them I had taken photos so the ball lies in their court, because i have photos it will make them a little bit more worried. The owners are decent people but I havent spoke to them yet, only the mechanic who did the work who is the actual workshop foreman.. So will be intresting to see what transpires on tuesday... The whole think makes me feel sick, i cant even use it now cause it is dripping,. unless i take it for a ride till it runs out of oil and buggers the engine, then i can tell them the mechanic told me he fixed it,,

Dan McLean

Dan,

Thanks for reminding me why I do my own maintenance. Gorillas and aluminum alloys don't mix. What an a-hole response by the dealer. It's not a warranty issue. It's a f-up issue. They f'd up. They should have replaced the oil pan up front and begged for your forgiveness. I agree with sending the pics to Yamaha. You should also spread the dealer's name and poor reputation around your local riders.

-Stan
Thanks Stan and I agree, but im gonna give the owners a change to resolve it as I havent spoke to them yet, think they will be a bit pissed too..

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member