Seat Woes!

tractorboy

Sorry but just started another thread. Been reading the others about custom seats and I have gotten ALOT of complaints from MY BUTT lately. I really want to retain the stock look though. So im thinking and looking around about those Gel inserts.

Took off seat last night and there really is much there! Like a Dirtbike seat!!
So I think it would be ok if the "new" seat is a tad "higher" as far as Im concerned. I too some foam ( stole the wifes Knee pad for gardening) and cut it to fit and just "strapped" it on the seat for now to see if there's a difference. Took a quick ride and does seem much nicer.

I have a 1/2 hr commute and at the end of that commute Im ready to get off! So I figure all further other stuff for bike on HOLD until my a$$ is comfy enough to withstand a decent ride!!!!!!!

Like I say...no matter what I really want the SAME fabric/look as I dont want to do anything to the pillion seat. I like the yamaha comfy seat the other people had a thread on and it looks a little thicker which is ok in my book. Maybe I will have to do that if I cant as there is not alot of extra fabric underneath to "add" much to it in terms of thickness....

we will see!

h00k247

You could try memory foam or a seat pad. Two that I know other that great good reviews are the ButtBuffer and AirHawk Seat cushion.

JonKerr

Elite Member

tractorboy

You could try memory foam or a seat pad. Two that I know other that great good reviews are the ButtBuffer and AirHawk Seat cushion.
uh huh....he said butt buffer!:p

tractorboy

Last night I was reading "Total Control" by Lee Parks and he has a whole chapter on seats. He said that manufacturers actually design seats to be uncomfortable intentionally. Seats that are comfortable for a long ride will be shaped like an impression in the sand of your butt. Those seats are not only pretty ugly usually, but they're uncomfortable for the two minutes that you sit on and stand straddling the bike on the showroom floor. The seats that come on bikes are designed to make you feel comfortable for those two minutes you're "feeling" the bike while in the dealership. He even said that the more cushion and soft squishy stuff on the seat, the more uncomfortable it really will be on the long rides. It's all about shape, not the cushion.
Jon...makes Absolute sense!! the seat looks the part, and easy to straddle and by all means looks cooler that a comfy seat.

Never thought of it that way till you quoted that! Its all about the sale baby..and don't get me wrong..its fine for quick jaunts and stuff like that...but yeah...makes total sense now.

Again just to see if basic mod will work I strapped that foam on to ride for a few days and see if it works. Dont want to go a killer as the other guy did with the Russell seat ( which IS NICE) but dont plan on any long 300 mile trips.
:wav: :steve: :cool:

husker525

I have found that for rides longer than 2 hours, a cheap and effective way to combat a sore butt is these. Fox Launch Padded Shorts

They fit nicely under my riding gear, and even add a little crash protection against the initial impact with the road if and when it happens.

I use these same pants for racing my ATV's. The earlier models of my racing quads had seats like plywood, and these pants made all the difference. I usually only need them if I go on longer rides. The pants have padding in all the right areas, and enhance the overall "package". Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, I am cracking myself up....

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
The cheapest route without affecting the actual seat would be to get some biking/triathlon shorts. They basically look like spandex shorts with padding sewn into the crotch area. Similar in effect to what husker suggested.

tractorboy

Hmmm... as far as the shorts go sounds great on the weekend but what about going to work! They would under my slacks! but again..my PACKAGE would be enhanced Greatly!

The women ALREADY chase me all over so cant imagine how bad it would would with an enhanced package!

Anyone use these for work commutes? IN all day??:D

tractorboy

Yeah Stuna..yours is the one I saw..not sure if I wanna go that wild...but it does look NICE!!

I just got a quote back from Kno-Place that sells gel inserts. Just not sure if it will enough....I like the price. I may try it. this way seat is still stock.

I know it will never match the comfort of yours stuna but may do the trick for a couple of ours. I also agree with your/Russells theory is you gotta CUP that BUTT to give it that support!

Hi Todd,

The price for installation of a Kno Place gel pad in your FZ6R seat would be $125. This would be for the driver's seat. (The installation will not change the original look or height of the seat.) This price includes the following:
1 medium Kno Place gel pad $39.95
1 medium KP3 memory foam $16.95
smoothing foam $8.50
misc supplies $3.40
labor $56.20
Kno Place Upholstery pays for your return shipping
within the continental US

If anyone wants details PM me and I can send you their info. Again this might be good but Iam testing something right now and tomorrow is not to rain so...

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

arkkornkid

Motorcycle Seats

if you scroll down the page, there's a section on how to modift your seat. It involves taking out a section of the foam and replacing it with memory foam (or whatever other type). and you re-use your factory cover material.

streetmaster

I've been using an Airhawk Cushion for about a year now & wouldnt be without it, especially on a decent ride.
I regularly go on 400km+ rides on weekends & have no probems what so ever. I even recently went on a 6 day/2800km ride & still had no problems!
It will just sit on the seat & stay there, or attach with the straps included if your getting into bum of the seat twisty sort of riding!

bjs045

Comp Pro Short - Alpinestars Official Store

I've been using these. Wore them on two different days riding Latino Canyon Rd. In Malibu. Each day was 4+ hours of riding with hourly breaks. The extra padding on the cheeks and tail bone help a lot. Not to mention the hip and thigh pads for protection. I would say my arms were more soar than my butt. Popped 2 advils before bed and was good to go on my morning commute to work.

tractorboy

Motorcycle Seats

if you scroll down the page, there's a section on how to modift your seat. It involves taking out a section of the foam and replacing it with memory foam (or whatever other type). and you re-use your factory cover material.
Yeah, I read a very similar write up and got in from Kno-Places web site but decided to see what the cost would be for them to do it. They take out a section, put in a gel pad, then memory foam on top and shape it. Not sure how good of a job id do.
Yeah..Stunas seat if a work of art....Barcalounger for bikes! Ahhhhhhhhh

Superzoom

Size of Airhawk for FZ6R

I've been using an Airhawk Cushion for about a year now & wouldnt be without it, especially on a decent ride.
I regularly go on 400km+ rides on weekends & have no probems what so ever. I even recently went on a 6 day/2800km ride & still had no problems!
It will just sit on the seat & stay there, or attach with the straps included if your getting into bum of the seat twisty sort of riding!
Hi Streetmaster. Which size of Airhawk cushion are you using. I think I'm going to get one for my FZ6R too. Thanks!

streetmaster

Hi Streetmaster. Which size of Airhawk cushion are you using. I think I'm going to get one for my FZ6R too. Thanks!
I'm using the 'medium cruiser' ! I originally bought it when I had my V STAR. Fits with no problems (with my fat arse anyway!!)
They say it fits the R1 & R6 anyway.
P.S. Aussie site shows better range explanation on fitting sizes.
http://www.airhawkguy.com.au/ but you can still buy from local distributors.

Last edited:

tractorboy

How much HEIGHT does the Airhawk add to the seat!! Looks like alot?!

By riding with a small addition cushion on right now I do notice a diff in height that effects riding postion. just wondering how the cushion effects all this.

Tractor

streetmaster

How much HEIGHT does the Airhawk add to the seat!! Looks like alot?!

By riding with a small addition cushion on right now I do notice a diff in height that effects riding postion. just wondering how the cushion effects all this.

Tractor
The Airhawk has a valve where you adjust the amount of air inside. The instructions say to blow it up & release the air to allow 1/4 - 3/8 of air in the bladder when seated.
You blow it up & then just reach around & unscrew the valve until this height is achieved. You can play around with this until you find what feels right for you.
It relies on 'just' lifting you clear of the seat & allows air to circulate so it cuhsions & doesn't get hot as original or gel seats can get after long rides.
Does feel a bit 'squishy' at first, but you soon get used to it!!
Friends refer to it as my 'whoopy cushion'!!

Streetrider

Looking for best solution

I took my first long ride the other day and came away feeling really sore. I see a few other guys talking about padded shorts. Has anyone actually used these?

It looks like there are a bunch of options available. Let me know your thoughts.

Padded Shorts

:thumbup: