Seat is too high!

Jenn62501

Do any of you ladies feel the same way? The seat is too high for me. I cannot back it out of my garage because I can only touch the ground with the balls of my feet. My husband saved me the first time from dropping it while I was trying to push it out of the garage, but the second time it went down! I was trying to turn around and came to a stop at a weird angle. I couldn't hold it up and dropped it!! :(

Has anyone lowered it and found a big difference? How much does it cost to lower it?

:::Jennifer:::

Kleinfalls

central yamaha in plano texas has a new spring that will lower the bike and doesn't require changing the kickstand out - you might give them a call - sounds pretty easy to do your self

my wife is 5 4 and was almost flat footed

MDRaven0223

There are a couple of threads on here about the lowering link, one with an excellent how to. So far the response from the ladies has been very positive.

Detrich

Am sorry u had to drop ur bike... But, I'm pretty sure it can be lowered without being too expensive... That said, getting the 6r in and out of the garage does require some patience & planning I've noticed...

What I've found works good is to push the bike with the engine off & kickstand down while standing on the left side of the bike- allowing the bike to center the weight, but still slightly leaning on me as I push it either forward or backwards. This way, if it does fall I'm there to hold it up, and the kickstand is there too...

I usually back it into the garage to make it easier to take out when I'm ready to ride, since pushing forward is easier coming out. It does take slightly longer after the ride to back it in, but it's worth the added convenience I think... Also helps if u park ur cars such that there is a clear & uninstructed path wide enough to push the bike in & out... I've learned to just take my time, go slowly, and be careful as possible...

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

YamahaChick

I had the stealership lower my bike before I picked it up.

Makes a huge difference...not just when parking but also when riding. Being able to flat foot when coming to a stop is a great feeling. In addition, I put the Shogun frame sliders on it so that if it does go down, the fairings are protected.

I have the Roaring Toyz Lowering Link and kickstand on it....stealership charged me around $115 CAD to install...rest is the cost of the parts. Well worth the investment :D

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator

MikeN02

I lowered mine and it helped greatly. I don't ride my other friends bikes etc because I know I'll drop it, thats what happened on my Ninja until I lowered it.

5'4 and about half a foot on the ground on both feet.

Also, if I'm on a hill or curb I usually get off the bike and push it back.

xplodnstar

Lowering works! The only other to help is to ride a 250 instead, and I don't want to go back there. :p

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

Went riding yesterday and noticed when I was done n parking the bike that my seat wiggles just a little bit- ever so slightly. I thought that was odd and tried wiggling the passenger seat and it was firm and didn't budge...

Did anyone else notice this and I'm assuming the user manual explains how to tighten the seat down? Tnx In advance for everyones feedback...

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

FZ6Raven

I had the same issue with my seat as well... The guys are the dealership were telling me that it is normal since we can adjust our seats... They did tighten it up for me so it's fine now.

bikerchick13

i'm 5'7" 3/4 and have a 31/32 inch inseam.When I picked up my bike the service tech had set my seat on the lowest setting,but my feet still are not flat on the ground.My daughter has to lean to one side because her legs are a little shorter than mine.But I would not go to a 250cc.You will not be happy with it for very long.If it's an option get the dealer to lower it for you.:Flash:

Detrich

Thanks. I'll give that a try later & report back...

I haven't noticed this on mine..if you take the rear seat off, there will be two screws in the back of the drivers seat, try tightening those.

*pinkgarbage*

Lowering kit

I'm 5'6". Wish I could flat foot my fz6r, but I can only tippy-toe. My husband just bought the lowering kit and kick-stand online today for me. I feel like the bike is kinda top heavy and hope that by lowering it, I can woman-handle it better with flat feet. I'm worried it's gonna ride weird, though, at a lowered height. I'll keep you posted.

xplodnstar

I'm 5'6". Wish I could flat foot my fz6r, but I can only tippy-toe. My husband just bought the lowering kit and kick-stand online today for me. I feel like the bike is kinda top heavy and hope that by lowering it, I can woman-handle it better with flat feet. I'm worried it's gonna ride weird, though, at a lowered height. I'll keep you posted.
The bike only seems top heavy because it is a heavier bike overall. If you've had a chance to feel the Ninja 650, you could tell that THAT bike is top heavy, this one is balanced, just overall heavier.

However, you will definitely feel more balanced on the FZ6R than the 2 cylander 650.

The lowering link will make a great difference for you.

Stoppsladd

If you lowering it in the back i think you should let the forklegs go up by about 1cm or so also to get more of a balanced bike.
Otherwise it will be harder to corner with.
You could also try mounting a 60 profile front tire instead of the 70.
That will also lower it, but not much.

But if you drop down the bike to much it will be dangerous to ride....
Last year i borrowed a wery low ducati monster from a friend of mine. I almost went of the road because it bottomed out a couple of times for me causing the bike go all over the road.:eek:

I dont want to scare you, just telling that messing with suspension to much can give you some surprises.

xplodnstar

Actually, you should lower the front end too. That keeps the geometry of the bike the same with a lower overall height. I've had no problems on the bike since I lowered it and have actually found more confidence in turns and stops.

I have even had my shop's techs check the bike since lowering it to be sure that it's not out of wack and they said everything is fine. You just don't want to over-lower the bike because that can cause problems. My friend had a bike that she bought from a guy that lowered it and that thing was a death trap. It was so low that the oil pump was jammed into the bottom of the oil pan and wasn't pumping properly so the enigine seized.

Jenn62501

My husband lowered "pearl" yesterday! I'm thrilled. Now all i need is boots with a little heel and I will be flat footed! I'm 5'4 and I can put one foot flat and the other about 3/4.

How far did everyone lower the front forks? He wasn't sure how low to set them. Mine are at 3/4 of an inch.