seat height question

xorbe

Hi everyone, just picked up a barely used 2014 FZ6R that is all stock as far as I know. I am 5'10" (thin male runner body) and am surprised that I can barely flat-foot the thing. I've already found the "how to lower" threads for the front (wrench) and rear (link). But does it sound right that at 5'10" the bike is tall for me? I didn't expect the bike to feel this high. Coming from a crazy easy Ninja 250R after a couple years. I don't ride or corner aggressively, so I'd prefer to have more comfortable solid footing at stops. Thanks!

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

AL72

Strange, I'm 5'10 (1.79 mt) too, and I've even used the seat in the highest position.

Regards!

chopper71

Best way I have found is at a stop. Have left foot down it will be flat while right foot is on the right peg/rear brake. On mine I'm ok with the way my feet are half way flat with the heels arched up some. That is with the seat position on the low setting.

brownwa

Try putting the seat position in the lowest setting. Myself I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam and solved the problem by wearing riding boots with insoles. I can almost flatfoot both feet now. Sometimes the simplest fix is the best. The fat *** gel insoles they sell at the pharmacy are good, but I have custom foam ones from my therapist. Just slip them right in on top of the stock soles in the boots. Remember to buy your boots a half size too big so that they fit comfortably.

I'm about 5' 7" with 30 inch inseam and can almost flat foot it with regular work-style boots on. It doesn't bother me that I can't fully flat foot it. A slight lean one way or another makes that side flat footed, and other than that it's very stable with just the front part of my feet on the ground.

ksk operator 1

I am 6'2 and will be removing a lowering link here soon. like this week. I am all sorts of flat footed. if you need. i have. raring toys. with kick stand.

Nmexico

5 6 here and 30 inseam, almost can flat foot.
Hard to believe some of the heights here and can't flat foot.

xorbe

OP here. Okay I checked the seat height, but it was at the default "L" position as I expected -- the guy I bought it from barely used the bike, doubt he ever took the seat off, heh.

Measured the old Ninja, approx 29" at the lowest then when sitting on the bike it sags somewhere in the 28-28.25" range. (Probably needs a new shock after 10 years? But only 9K miles.) Like @KSK says, I am all sorts of flat footed there, more than enough. The Ninja may be a bit narrower also. The sag is probably even a bit more than that, due to the way I measured it with my body more towards the rear than in the saddle.

The FZ6R measured about 31" but I couldn't get a reading with me on the seat. No place to scoot back like the old Ninja's banana style seat. However it's pretty obvious my thin frame barely deflects the FZ6R shock, so I lowered the pretension from 3 to 1, which helped a little. It's not that I can't flat foot, but that I pretty much have to be positioned just right, no wiggle room. Legs straight to the ground, no flexing.

I'll have to decide between the Soupy 1.5" link (or PSR), Roaring 1.75" link, or that other 2" link (T-rex, eBay noname.) I am a little worried about overdoing it. And a new kick stand too ...

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Amberfz6r

Hi everyone, just picked up a barely used 2014 FZ6R that is all stock as far as I know. I am 5'10" (thin male runner body) and am surprised that I can barely flat-foot the thing. I've already found the "how to lower" threads for the front (wrench) and rear (link). But does it sound right that at 5'10" the bike is tall for me? I didn't expect the bike to feel this high. Coming from a crazy easy Ninja 250R after a couple years. I don't ride or corner aggressively, so I'd prefer to have more comfortable solid footing at stops. Thanks!

Lower the front looks and rides so much better

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

xorbe

Lower front looks and rides so much better
Yeah, just deciding which link and how much in the front. People have dropped the front as much as 2.5" (!) and the one rider that did 2.25" said no problem over 100 mph -- not that I ride that fast, but good to know there was no wobble. Either Soupy's 1.5" and 1.5" in the front, or RT with 1.75" and 1.75" in the front.

Are there any problems with aftermarket kickstands and the associated safety switch? I'd prefer swap something on, rather than have the stock stand welded shorter.

Amberfz6r

I went down as low as it goes no trouble at high speeds just watch bumps I don't know what bangs thought it was the horn but it's not

xorbe

Unless my tape measure lies, looks to me the max drop is just under 2" until it would run into the handlebars. I don't see how a 2.5" drop would be possible. My dust marks are about 1.25" so I think I'll go with a 1.25" drop in front, seems like the safe choice. But that was no doubt from the bigger, heavier previous owner.

Weslowski

I'm 5'4" guy lowered the front an inch and with lowering link and the seat lowered (I took the plastic out). If you lower the forks too much and you hit a pot hole like me you'll bottom out and that feeling sucks. I tip tow unless I only have one foot down. But hey who needs both feet to stop.

buzzbomb

Elite Member