Rough shifting

2wheelie

I think that my gears shifting became rougher. Especially switching from 1st to 2nd I need to put more pressure and feels harsh/grindy.
Anyone else here have this issue?

JSP

Super Moderator
How long since you changed oil? Shifting gets rough when your oil starts to break down. How many miles on bike?

2wheelie

How long since you changed oil? Shifting gets rough when your oil starts to break down. How many miles on bike?
I thought may be oil and changed it recently (mobil1 15-50) but didn't help. Bike has 25k mi.

JSP

Super Moderator
Pull the cover and clean the shift rod... Make sure its not all gunked up. 15-50 may be to thick for winter?...

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator

int15

Hi,

New to this forum and I had my FZ6R for only 2 days. I seem to have the same problem but the oil is brand new as well as the bike. The dealership told my they're using special "breaking in period" oil that I should have changed after 1000km.

I also see the neuteal indicator lighting up whem shifting from 1st to 2nd.

OP, do you see the same thing? I don't remember seeing this on my GS500F.

Cheers.

-int15

2011FZ6R

I thought may be oil and changed it recently (mobil1 15-50) but didn't help. Bike has 25k mi.
Is the 15W50 for motorcycles? If not then that's your problem. You need a motorcycle specific oil for bikes. They provide the wet clutch protection that a normal oil does not.

arkkornkid

You may need to play around with the actual length of the shift rod. I made adjustments over a few rides before I found an ideal length and it helped out quite a bit.

The harshness between 1st and 2nd is pretty typical of most bikes, just got to find out what works.

yfz6r

Is the 15W50 for motorcycles? If not then that's your problem. You need a motorcycle specific oil for bikes. They provide the wet clutch protection that a normal oil does not.
No you don't. Just about any oil is adequate. There is one specific type not to use but I forget what.

You are getting ripped off at motorcycle shops if that is what you buy.

JSP

Super Moderator
No you don't. Just about any oil is adequate. There is one specific type not to use but I forget what.

You are getting ripped off at motorcycle shops if that is what you buy.
It still needs to meet the motorcycle oil rating specifications and no energy conserving friction modifiers.

UselessPickles

You need a motorcycle specific oil for bikes.
You don't necessarily need oil that is marketed as motorcycle-specific oil. If you find on the label that it is JASO-MA certified, then it means it is safe for use with motorcycles with wet clutches and that use the engine oil in the transmission. For example, I use Rotella T6 full synthetic for only about $22/gallon. It's actually primarily marketed as a diesel engine oil, and not at all as a motorcycle oil, but it is JASO-MA certified.

oilspecifications.org - Lubricant standards and specifications
JASO MA
Japanese standard for special oil which can be used in 4-stroke motorcycle engine with one oilsystem for engine, gearbox and wet clutchsystem. Fluid is non-friction modified.
If you had the wrong kind of oil, the problem would more likely be a slipping clutch, not clunky/grinding shifts.

Chevyfazer

Ya it's the friction modifiers that they put in the oil that is no good for the wet clutch, but like useless said as long as in has that jaso rating it's good. For example regular Royal purple is a kick arse oil but it has tons of friction modifiers in it, switch over to RP max cycle and your good.

But to what int15 was asking about shifting, your bike is 2 days old, things are going to be a little tight, give it some time and miles to break in. If it still is hard to shift 1000miles down the rode then ask again.

int15

All right, thanks! I was the 3rd owner of my previous bike and it's my first time with a brand new one.

I really appreciate the input.

-int15