road trips on your fz?

zcypher

Curious to hear about your experiences doing road trips on this bike. Mine is going in for her very first tune-up this week, and while I am not likely to do a road trip this season, I am definitely doing one next summer. Based on how pleased I was with my several 10-12+ hour days of riding (granted, not non-stop, but still), I'm confident that I can do some serious road trips with this bike and be just alright.

I'm thinking of riding down into the states (not too far coming from montreal), then riding west, and back up into Canada on the west coast. Is that a terrible idea? I've driven from east coast to west coast through Canada, years ago, and that wasn't bad. I assume going stateside would be considerably longer. I really liked the roads I found the couple of times I rode down there though.

So it's either that, or just ride south.. and keep riding south, we'll see I guess. Whatever I decide I'm really looking forward to it. Let's hear your experiences! Also any tips or suggestions for stuff would be welcome.

anticsd

Check if your insurance covers incidents outside of Canada or what not (towing too) and map yamaha dealerships so you can get your 3k service if you hit it :D

And have fun!

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

SixRFixR

Well it certainly wasn't an Iron Butt ride, but I did load the 6R up with camping gear for an overnighter in the Sequoia's. I strapped on a Giant Loop Great Basin, upped the preload from 4 to 5 and just went. The 6R did great. I wouldn't hesitate taking this bike on an extended trip at all.

Pinarello Rider

As others have said, the bike is capable of the trip - my issue is the seat. I rode 5 hours on it last weekend and by 4.5 hours, my *** hurt so bad I couldn't get back on the bike the next day. I understand a $450 investment in Corbin will resolve that issue. I might do that next year. That being said, I didn't buy the bike to do that kind of miles. If I expected to do that, I would have gotten a BMW or a Versys or similar.

Grumpy

A friend of mind got a Corbin for his FZ6r and loves it. Says it is a different bike with that seat on and no more monkey butt.

Funkmaxtor

2200 miles in 4 days. One day was 22 hours on the bike (rained most of the way). Only thing I had as far as comfort was a cramp buster. I have peg risers to bring the pegs up a little so I don't scrape them when leaned over hard.
I was pretty comfortable considering I was riding with a one piece leather race suit.

Changing the factory seat may make it even better but I can't say that I would want to spend the money on one.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

zcypher

Cool, thanks for all the input. So a better seat might not be a bad idea hehe. I have CAA, so that's one thing. I will have to check about insurance covering accidents outside Canada, thanks for that.

Picked up my bike after her very first tune up today. Awww yeeah!

latony007

long way

Montreal to the west coast? that's like 3000 miles. I have no doubt it can do it but traveling 3000 miles with a back pack worth of gear would be a no go for me LOL, i have a cruiser for long trips. Not to mention as others have said I don't think you would be able to walk unless your really spreading it out. Id love to get one of the corbin seats but I can't go up in height at all. I mean I could but don't want to, im so close to flat footing it now up at all and its back to the balls of my feat only. I was thinking of trying the fz6r comfort seat if its not any higher.

Superzoom

Cool, thanks for all the input. So a better seat might not be a bad idea hehe. I have CAA, so that's one thing. I will have to check about insurance covering accidents outside Canada, thanks for that.

Picked up my bike after her very first tune up today. Awww yeeah!
Look into the Airhawk seat cushion. It will more than double the number of hours you can ride comfortably. I bought the cheapy $100 version and it works great. Just make sure you don't over-inflate it. It's not meant as an air mattress that you float around on. It just fills in the areas of the seat that are low pressure points, relieving pressure on the high pressure points.

Medium cruiser size fits FZ6R great.