Rider Insurance Policy Change

JRT88

I just received a letter today stating that they are changing the classification of the FZ6R to a Sport/High Performance motorcycle and this is going to increase my rate. I bought my bike last year and one of the perks of this bike is that it was classified as a sport touring bike, I dont understand why they would change the classification. Im going to call them tomorrow to see how much it is going to increase.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

latony007

I just received a letter today stating that they are changing the classification of the FZ6R to a Sport/High Performance motorcycle and this is going to increase my rate. I bought my bike last year and one of the perks of this bike is that it was classified as a sport touring bike, I dont understand why they would change the classification. Im going to call them tomorrow to see how much it is going to increase.
Thats crap. if they want to reclass new people thats one thing but existing customers that may have purchased this bike because of its insurance rating is crapola. Someone should get a class action suit together. I always check what insurance is going to cost before i buy any car or bike and if its too much i move on.

Cerebus

High performance? One of these fawkers need to ride an FZ6R.

ETA: I have Rider and my online info still shows the bike as "Standard" ...though I haven't checked my mail in a couple days.

Last edited:

Chucker

I just changed to a new company, and they told me it was on their list as a supersport, but my rate was still significantly lower than the old policy. The lady on the phone even questioned why it was considerd a supersport. Not complaining at this point as my rate is lower, but I sure hope it stays that way.

Fizzer6R

maybe more people have made claims on the model, so changed because they are paying out $, passing it on to you :mad:

travisH3

great, if they change my policy then they will most likely find out about the speeding ticket I got a few months ago lol. 21 years old + "supersport" + speeding ticket = bad news for travis lol. could you by any chance mention who your insurance is through?

Fizzer6R

great, if they change my policy then they will most likely find out about the speeding ticket I got a few months ago lol. 21 years old + "supersport" + speeding ticket = bad news for travis lol. could you by any chance mention who your insurance is through?
believe they are speaking of Motorcycle Insurance: Rider Insurance, Motorcycle Insurance for New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Indiana, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, Michigan

you didn't have the chance to take a driving class and get it dropped off?

travisH3

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

All you guys have full coverage? I pay 110 a YEAR with progressive but I don't have collision coverage on it. At the 150 per MONTH or so they wanted for comp/collision I figured that would pay off the bike in 3 or 4 years which does not seem very sound financially. Id rather just keep making the 78$ a month bike payment for whatever amount of time is left if it gets wrecked. I have comp on my cruiser cause It was so cheap but no collision on it either. For two bikes, one with comp, neither with collision and good amounts of liability, 30/60 I pay a total of 216 per year.

Fizzer6R

hmm never tried a quote from Rider, will have to before renewing w/Progressive this year to see if cheaper.

keep in mind when you see all these $ numbers, unless you know ages, license history etc., even the same company can vary greatly on the same bike

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Headlessmunky

Well when you find out let us know. I really can't afford for it to go up.

JRT88

I email them today and this was their response:

Thank you for contacting Rider Insurance. There are actually several models of motorcycles for which we had to change the classification to Sport/High Performance. Aside from the manufacturers listing them as such, we have experienced an alarming increase in claims for these motorcycles over the past few years. With respect to your renewal offer, you will have an increase in premium. Your total annual premium for the new term is $251.24. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. Have a great evening!

Last year my rate was $120 for the year, thats more than double. Im 25, i had one speeding ticket when i was driving my car 3 years ago which was out of state and i didnt get points for it.

latony007

I email them today and this was their response:

Thank you for contacting Rider Insurance. There are actually several models of motorcycles for which we had to change the classification to Sport/High Performance. Aside from the manufacturers listing them as such, we have experienced an alarming increase in claims for these motorcycles over the past few years. With respect to your renewal offer, you will have an increase in premium. Your total annual premium for the new term is $251.24. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. Have a great evening!

Last year my rate was $120 for the year, thats more than double. Im 25, i had one speeding ticket when i was driving my car 3 years ago which was out of state and i didnt get points for it.
Try progressive. Mine is $110 a year, im considerably older than you but i think age is not that big a factor after 25. i have not received anything about a reclassification or an increase, yet.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member