Reverse shifter

danieljardim

I knew that they existed but never saw one in action until yesterday.

Saw a guy riding a cruiser with reverse shifter and I think it is really cool to upshift pressing down. (I'll assume that is good for the drag strip)

does anybody has on the fz6r?

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

danieljardim

Do you mean the shift pattern backwards or there was a second lever? My Uncle had two levers on his Harley, both attached to the linkage. Down on the front one was up on the back, so you just press down on the back one to shift up.

Pretty neat. First time I had seen that was his bike.

Like this
yes. is the shift pattern backwards. You shift up pressing down and you shift down pressing up.

JSP

Super Moderator
It is called GP Shifting..

Most bikes you can simply flip the shift linkage and you are in business. I do not recommend it on the street if you are used to regular shifting. If you do, do not forget it is opposite now. Could be dangerous downshifting when you think you are up shifting and vise/verse.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kbciXfgWt4]GP Shift set-up - YouTube[/ame]

2009 Yamaha FZ6R (Black Metallic X) FZ6RYB Parts, 2009 Yamaha FZ6R (Black Metallic X) FZ6RYB OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

danieljardim

It is called GP Shifting..

Most bikes you can simply flip the shift linkage and you are in business. I do not recommend it on the street if you are used to regular shifting. If you do, do not forget it is opposite now. Could be dangerous downshifting when you think you are up shifting and vise/verse.

GP Shift set-up - YouTube

2009 Yamaha FZ6R (Black Metallic X) FZ6RYB Parts, 2009 Yamaha FZ6R (Black Metallic X) FZ6RYB OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

I'm not gonna do it. I was just wondering.

I'm still too fresh with motorcycles to start F**** around with stuff.

Dont fix what is not broken.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

redprodigy35

I've heard that it's done for racing.
Something about it being easier to just press down as opposed to scooping the shifter upwards while the bike is leaned over.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Y

yellowfz

We use to call it normal, use to you asked what the gear pattern was before taking off : 1 up 4 down, or 1 down 5 up, again there was no standard for gear patterns, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, Penton, KTM, Hodaka, Bultaco, etc...... would use different gear patterns, 1 up 4 down, 1 down 4 up.
I love the 1 up then down shifting. MotoGP, WOW, I must have been training for the GP and didn't know it. :D