Retro Fit kit

cavcuz05

Hey guys,

Sorry I have been MIA on the discussion. I went home to my parents for Easter. On the ride back last night I got to try my lights. I dont think the projector is secure enough because you can see the cutoff line bouncing up and down. My gf was driving in front of me and she said it was really distracting. I guess i'm going to have to open it back up and try to secure it better. Maybe some locktite? What do you guys think? Anyone else had this problem?
when you get it back open use some silicone adhesive...its what i used and mine doesn't move...check my diy

Chaphil3

Thought I'd explain the how the retrofit works for those who may not quite understand it. Not trying to sound like a know it all, just hope I can clarify and maybe help someone.

So: The projector is just a big lens that focuses light. It is made to work with HID light which has diff output than regular incandescent bulbs which is why there is scatter and glare in regular housings. There is no wiring in a projector except for bixenon projectors which have solenoids that move the cutoff shield to allow more light output when high beams are activated.

The HID kit works like this: There is a bulb, ballast, and relay. The relay plugs into the existing headlight wiring. The existing headlight wiring sends signals to the relay which then "relays" the signal to the ballast or bixenon solenoid for high beam. The ballast works almost like a transformer would by multiplying the current from the relay enough to fire the bulb. The bulb is actually made of different salts which when ignited, produce a xenon gas which glows a certain color depending on the mixture of salts. When the ballast first turns on, it sends a very large jolt of electricity to ignite the salts then keeps the current at a steady level. That initial jolt is necessary for the first startup (and is why you see the light pop on then fade out then back in as it warms) but can be harmful to the light once the salts have been ignited. I say that bc it is not a good idea to cut the light on and off bc of that jolt. Your bulb won't last as long.

Also you only need one ballast per bulb so on our bikes, only one ballast is needed. Thats a pretty quick run down but hope that helps!

Chaphil3

when you get it back open use some silicone adhesive...its what i used and mine doesn't move...check my diy
Awesome! Have you ridden at speed yet? No movement? I'll def give that a shot then.

cavcuz05

Awesome! Have you ridden at speed yet? No movement? I'll def give that a shot then.
yes i have..nope no movement at least none that i can see...really put it on there to ensure that its solid

cavcuz05

DIY is all finished...if i forgot anything or you would like me to add more pics i will....thanks to all who participated in the buy and hope TRS will get more customers :iconbeer:

elikhom

The pics look awesome, If I ever decide to mod my bike myself this one is top of the list. Unluckily I'm so bad at this kind of things.

Anyone got the angel eye? I want to know how does it look like,

cavcuz05

Yeah, that is basically all I needed. I just needed to know where to align in. I could tell that with the ring, it didn't align it correctly. I should be able to handle it from here. What is that extra bag with the ballast connector in it? I can't seem to figure that out either.
its a test harness to test the projector...not that you need to know but just thought i clarify for the others

Last edited:

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Last edited:

iSpoolin

Mother of god those pictures are HUGE!

cavcuz05

Hey black is you light slanted to when the bike is perfectly straight up? high on the left and trails to the right...

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

cavcuz05

well damn...i might have to do that..i used the h4 ring and my beam is high on the left just slightly

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

cavcuz05

Yeah, using the ring is a good idea, but the notch is not right on the threads for it to be perfectly aligned. What I did was cut out the tab on the inside of the ring, and then align the projector by eye.
well i might do that when i have the time right now its fine and i can see perfectly at night...u think i can still do that with out ripping the headlight apart?

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

612raven

Got some more pics:

High Beam:

Low Beam:

I got the angel eye, but I didn't like how it looked on the outside of the shroud, since I painted it blue. I put it behind the shroud, and that looks cool too.
that is sick!!!! damn i need to do that to my bike. good work:thumbup:

Chaphil3

First, FZR Black, that is tight and you got me thinking about body matching my shroud (although that paint is expensive lol. Did you shed the chrome off first?

Cavcuz, where all did you put silicone? Yesterday, I took mine back apart and tightened it down as much as I could and applied silicone around the threads (also opened it up and put a little on the supplied silcone spacer). Tonight I went for a ride right around dark and I can see the cutoff line jumping up and down as I ride. Is no one else seeing this? Idk if the projector itself is moving up and down or is it the headlight assembly? It really sucks tho and I just want to get this right and move on lol. Any suggestions?

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Chaphil3

I did not sand the shroud first, the paint will stick with out having to sand. What you are seeing is your line moving up and down with the front suspension. Mine bounces a little, but if you follow a car and watch your reflection, you won't see out bouncing like that...
I think it's a little more than that bc when i ease the clutch out and the motor engages, I see the line start vibrating with it. It becomes worse at speed. I'm used to the line moving up and down say over a bump but mine is projecting the engine vibrations.