Probably the biggest fail i've had happen to me in my riding career....

iSpoolin

Ok, so here's the story. I was riding to work this morning.

6:30 in the morning, city streets, 35 MPH limit. I'm rolling about 40 as always, staying in the left lane (I pull out of my apartments, and about a mile down the road my works on the left, and yes it sucks :laugh:) anyway, I come up to the left side of this SUV, not in the blind spot, basically right next to the window getting ready to make my move into the left turn lane.

The lady in the SUV doesn't look, just cuts through the left lane, and into the turn lane. So I swerved out of the way, hit my brakes and blared the baby horn. She doesn't even take a second look.

Then i'm behind her waiting to turn, and I see that on the bottom left corner of her back glass she has a "Look twice save a life, motorcycles are everywhere" sticker......

AngryAnt

I would have seriously rolled up, knocked on her window, and politely asked her to remove said bumper sticker if she can't pay more attention. Probably minus the 'polite' part knowing me though...

TokenSSDD

You'd be suprised how often that happens with people that have that bumper sticker. I've had it happen once (granted, they were an elderly couple, but still...)

XTRAWLD

Wow. That would have been tragically ironic had something had happened. :( - Could you imagine a photo with the back of that SUV, a bike down on the road and that sticker centered in the frame?

Detrich

it's the inherent danger of being on 2 wheels on public roads i guess... no one driving a car is 100% alert 100% of the time. and, no one on a bike is 100% alert 100% of the time. and, cars simply are not always going to be looking where they go- esp during commute hours (am/ pm). yes, it is enraging- esp when we nearly get hit. but, it's the reality of the risks involved of being on 2 wheels.

sadly, the only ways to circumvent the risks are to either (a) don't commute on a bike or (b) ride as defensively as possible... i guess wearing a high visibility, florescent vest could help a little. i choose option a, but i know not everyone can do that.

rr_double_rr

it's the inherent danger of being on 2 wheels on public roads i guess... no one driving a car is 100% alert 100% of the time. and, no one on a bike is 100% alert 100% of the time. and, cars simply are not always going to be looking where they go- esp during commute hours (am/ pm). yes, it is enraging- esp when we nearly get hit. but, it's the reality of the risks involved of being on 2 wheels.

sadly, the only ways to circumvent the risks are to either (a) don't commute on a bike or (b) ride as defensively as possible... i guess wearing a high visibility, florescent vest could help a little. i choose option a, but i know not everyone can do that.
The vest would only help if she looked, in this instance. Otherwise, true, it is the risk we all run. Everyone stay safe.

b_who

Wow that would of bin one ironic accident, glad u were able to avoid

Never seen or heard of those stickers but i want sum now ha

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

iSpoolin

i COULD just commute in the truck everyday. However I don't want too :lol:

Detrich

personally, i think that city & state gov'ts should run those "share the road" campaigns to increase driver awareness of motorcyclists- all year round. if it takes some $ from motorcycling non-profits to kick in some ad campaign cash, it's well worth it. but, around here, they seem to only do it at the beginning of summer riding season. =\

Bartholomew

i COULD just commute in the truck everyday. However I don't want too :lol:
A couple of years ago I owned a white Ford F250 pickup with four wheel drive. Basically a very large pickup. What is weird is that I have had more close calls from people not seeing me while driving that pickup than I have had while riding my motorcycle!! Still doesn't make since to me!

Bloke

personally, i think that city & state gov'ts should run those "share the road" campaigns to increase driver awareness of motorcyclists- all year round. if it takes some $ from motorcycling non-profits to kick in some ad campaign cash, it's well worth it. but, around here, they seem to only do it at the beginning of summer riding season. =\
Didn't they try that in some place (might have been CA) and all the cagers kicked off big time. Properly angry style.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Bloke

Interesting, I only heard through youtube, think it was a recorded radio show and everyone was flipping out about it.

Over in the UK we have "THINK! BIKE!" at places where bikers tend to get crushed when filtering, we also have a pretty good "look twice" thing they show on tv.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXI8-_9FrB4&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Think Bike advert - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spunky99

The only time I am side by side with a cager is when I'm either passing them or slowing down and then it is only momentary.
Cagers are nothing but bad news for motorcycles and bicycles.

The one's that crack me up are the bumper stickers that say "Honk if you love Jesus" while the A$$hat is cutting you off.