Possibly wanting to downgrade to a CBR 250 or 500? Thoughts?

Hey all,

I was just testing the waters out. I've been riding my bike for about 3 years. I've only put about 3k miles on her. I've been contemplating getting a CBR250 or 500. It's not that I want more power, but I think a slightly lighter bike would give me some added confidence. I am sort of a smaller guy. 5' 10" 140 LBS. I also think that being forced into a slightly more aggressive riding style would help aid in teaching me not to be so self-conscious about my leaning technique.

Obviously the FZ6R is such a wonderful bike. I'm going to continue to ride it if I don't sell or trade it. I figured I'd have an easier time with a bike I can handle a little better with my size.

What do you all think?

Last edited:

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member
The Ninja 650 looks like a wonderful bike. It's slightly out of budget right now though! It might have to be something I save for.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

concuncon

I moved from the ninja 300 to FZ6r.
Whenever stuck in slow traffic or just small roads doing 40-50, yeah I missed the feeling of the lighter bike. 300 is a twin so you never feel like it's "pressuring" you to keep rev high, it's very relaxing at low speed.
When the road opens up and I need to twist the throttle though, it would just feel frustrating on the ninja 300.
So I would say I value both the same, with different strong and weaknesses. The 300 is to "just hop on real quick and get around without commitment", while FZ6r is for longer trip with a destination in mind.

Drennan57

Your size shouldn't be an issue at 5'10 but if its playing with your confidence maybe downsizing is the way to go.

It is too bad the FZ is on the heavy side because the seat height and slim dimensions are perfect for smaller riders.

I've been tossing the idea around to either get a dual sport or a smaller street bike. I believe I still want to stay with a street bike. I have an inclination that something smaller or rather that is lighter would be better suited for me. My guess was that I'd become a better rider if I could handle the bike easier. That's just a guess though. I don't exactly consider myself a great rider and I'd like to improve that.

Drennan57

I've been tossing the idea around to either get a dual sport or a smaller street bike. I believe I still want to stay with a street bike. I have an inclination that something smaller or rather that is lighter would be better suited for me. My guess was that I'd become a better rider if I could handle the bike easier. That's just a guess though. I don't exactly consider myself a great rider and I'd like to improve that.

So in what scenario's is the weight holding you back from feeling comfortable?

blkbrd

Elite Member
It's not just turn in. It's just overall manipulation of the bike. I feel like I'm just a tad small for this bike, or maybe it's my overall strength. I'm not sure. Either way, I'm not comfortable.

Drennan57

It's not just turn in. It's just overall manipulation of the bike. I feel like I'm just a tad small for this bike, or maybe it's my overall strength. I'm not sure. Either way, I'm not comfortable.
I understand your frustrations but i've seen woman that were 5'5 and couldn't have weighed more then 115lbs throw the FZ around in the twisties.

But by all means if you think moving down is the right choice go for it. All i'm saying is that your physical attributes are not the issue.

Fraze

The new R3 is not a bad bike, that little twin sound quite sexy!
+1 My friend picked up one of these last year and I took it out a few times, fun small bike!

This is a sticky question you pose ... everyone's different. My first bike was a 1985 RZ350, it was hands down the funnest & quickest damn bike I've ever owned. My only "advice" would be to think hard about what you wanna do with it, those tiny twins aren't great on long trips and you *may* find them a tad under-powered after time as your confidence builds, but if that's your reason for downsizing, then you've kinda made up your mind already. But if you can get a cheap used one go for it, that R3 was fun when I rode it. btw, I wouldn't think your size shouldn't be a factor, I'm 5'8/160 and I find the 6R a great fit for me, but again, to each his own :)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Drennan57

first off Drennan57:
Forum Rules:

Respect other members
Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. You have the right to disagree with that opinion. You do not have the right to be rude, vulgar, or disrespectful in expressing your opposition. Flaming will not be tolerated!
-------------------------------------------------------------

Sampson, FZ6R is a top heavy bike, no doubt, if you're not comfortable on it, get to a few demo day rides and try out something different... plenty of options out there and you'll find one you feel more comfortable on. You don't even have to go to something with less power, it's all about how the weight is balanced.

I don't know what you're going on about.

OP says "I want to downgrade because I don't feel comfortable on the big bike".

Poster replies " So then downgrade and let someone who feels comfortable ride the bike.

What's the problem here? There is no other answer, if he wants to continue riding motorcycles he has to do this.

Get over it, I'm not going to tell someone who isnt confident in his abilities to just suck it up and put himself and others in danger.

Last edited: