Pissed me off

bjcat1975

So I was out riding and came across some other bikers at a small grocery store. I was stopping to get something to drink to break up the ride and rest a little. The others bikers were riding BMW's and Kawasaki tour bikes.

When they saw me get off my bike and approach them, they said that I was too big for my little kids bike and should upgrade to something that would fit me better. Granted I know they were just saying that because of what they were riding and having fun at my expense. However, I am 6' 2" and 240 lbs., not small by any reason, but its not like I a huge either.

I think I fit my FZ6R just fine and was wondering if there are others out there like myself that are either tall or pack on a few pounds and ride this same bike?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

BKP

I've got more than one friend that has "upgraded" from BMW, Kawi, and Honda tour bikes, to FZ6R and Ninja 650's... One of them I ride with and is on this forum...

Small minds with smaller opinions need big tourers...
(...or perhaps "mind" is the wrong anatomical reference...)

DragonBlu

There is always some smart ass out there that has to berate someone to feel bigger. Do your own thing and to hell with em! It doesn't seem to matter what bike you ride, some smart ass always has a comment. If I'm in a generous mood I just smile and walk away,if not I just say "go f#@k yourself".

SpawnXX

Premium Member

Brock Kickass

I had a guy on a 1200cc Harley picking on me about the small displacement of my 6R when I had it, until I dragged him and left him reefing on his throttle and making a racket while I pulled away like he was standing still. Don't underestimate a 6R. A 1000cc SS it is not, but a quick enough bike for anything short of the track.

Crpngdth

my guess is these were probably a group of older folks who are small minded and believe that only young punks should or do ride sport bikes while people of a mature stature should only ride cruisers and touring bikes. enjoy what you do, enjoy what you ride, enjoy life and the hell with anyone who doesnt like it because life is just too short.

Roaddawg

I'm 6'3" and 240lbs too. When I first got the bike, guys at work said I looked like a Gorilla f@cking a football...I laughed and thought it was funny, but really don't care what others think. I realize the bike IS a little small in size for guys our size, but it still works....plus, for my first bike, it was perfect. And, technically, it's still slightly bigger (in dimensions) than an R6 or CBR600 and such. Would a 700lb, $20k+ sport tourer be a better 'size' fit for me? Sure, but as a first bike....that would have been stupid, so this one worked out great. Screw those guys.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

danieljardim

I'm 6'3" and 240lbs too. When I first got the bike, guys at work said I looked like a Gorilla f@cking a football...I laughed and thought it was funny, but really don't care what others think. I realize the bike IS a little small in size for guys our size, but it still works....plus, for my first bike, it was perfect. And, technically, it's still slightly bigger (in dimensions) than an R6 or CBR600 and such. Would a 700lb, $20k+ sport tourer be a better 'size' fit for me? Sure, but as a first bike....that would have been stupid, so this one worked out great. Screw those guys.
I'm 6.2 300 pounds. I'm the huge circus bear riding the mini bicycle

RoadTrip

Have you seen 6 footers on the new Panigale, now that looks like a kids bike! But, that's the whole point of sporty bikes to begin with, small and lightweight, ever been in an old Triumph coup, freaky small.

Nah, I'd rather look like a circus bear and have sportiness in my ride, I'll get the moving couch later down the road when I have had my fill of sport riding (that could be a long time from now).

One of the best ways to diffuse a hater or jokester is to pander to them, just flatter them by agreeing they have cool bikes, and down play yours, then they will get what they want, and you get to move on without getting mad.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU_P7-M4zmI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU_P7-M4zmI[/ame]

Last edited:

FastFreddy

I've had SS600/1000 riders say, "that's a touring bike, why don't you get a real sportsbike like us, hee haw haa ..." before.

It didn't bother me one bit. Anyway, I follow them thru the twisties and had to overtake all of them because they were too slow for me. They were definitely slower than the average sportsbike thru the corners.

At other times, I've found the soft initial throttle action a definite advantage when I ride with other people of a similar skill level on sportier bikes.

It's not really a scrunched up design bike at all I think. Not a tourer, not a supersport, an all rounder.

I'm about 20 lb lighter and a couple of inches shorter and its fine for me.

FZ6Rcanuk

Hello new to this site I ride an FZ8 but also own an FZ6R which my wife rides and let me just say that the 6R is a kick ass bike. I love blasting around on it and in a lot of ways its better than the FZ8 so f#@k those fools.

Fizzer6R

It's not the size of the bike; it's how you ride it.
that's what my girlfriend keeps on telling me! :rolleyes:

PS: what's the difference between a porcupine and someone that rides/drives a BMW? nothing, they're always pricks

06330i

I had an older guy pull up next to me on one of those bmw 650 gs adventure bikes, and looked over at me and laughed. Let's just say when we pulled up to the next light I got the last laugh. Dusted him so bad he wouldn't even look at me. Like stated before, its the rider not the bike. I have a buddy who's a "newbie" rider and was convinced that he would absolutely dust me on his gixxer 750 (technically speaking he should've) needless to say not only I dusted him off the line because I know how to properly launch a bike and our bikes are have more tourqe on the low end, but he missed going into second and slammed it into neutral. nuff said lol.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

2wheelie

Our bike is a good all-arounder bike. I use it for all types of riding and no need for a big and heavy tourer. That said I rode my friends DL650 and it is better equipped for some off-roading (suspension and ground clearance), and better on passenger's behind. But I don't like its big shape and boring design.
I'll wait till we get in the USA Versys 100 to check it out though.

Papa Weeley

I've had guys on various "splash-of-colour" Japanese sportbike riders give me crap numerous times over the years about my Ducati. Funny, most people are in awe of it, others find it hilarious to make fun of for some reason...I don't really get it. Maybe because it's nearly as old as some of them are? Who knows. I don't understand slamming other riders, period, personally.
Most recently, on a run up to Big Bear Mtn., one of the guys parked near me in a "staging" lot of a restaurant I stop at before hitting the twisties even asked how many hamsters powered it. I really wish I could have seen his face clearly as I passed him on the outside of a corner on the way up a few miles down the road.
By the way, I'm 55... :D

mikebaileyvienna

Elite Member