Pant leg touching chain

Never noticed this as I wear straight leg pants when I ride.

arkkornkid

I wear straight leg jeans (and I'm a big guy) and there's no avoiding this. I just reach down and pull the loose part forward and out so the wind keeps it from going to the inside.

in stop and go traffic, this becomes tedious.... but it works until I make a cover for that gap in the chain guard

Spunky99

I wear straight leg jeans (and I'm a big guy) and there's no avoiding this. I just reach down and pull the loose part forward and out so the wind keeps it from going to the inside.

in stop and go traffic, this becomes tedious.... but it works until I make a cover for that gap in the chain guard
How about putting a large rubber band on the cuff while riding?
That's what the road bicycle people do when wearing warmups.

Roaddawg

Looking at mine, the only way I can see my pants touching the chain is if bell-bottoms came back into style.

This might help; living in an urban area, there are a fair number of professionals who commute via pedal bike. It may look goofy, but it seems most of them tuck the left pant-leg somehow. I've seen custom velcro wraps, tape, or some of them tuck it into their sock.

I bet it looks less silly than falling down, getting goo on you, or getting pantsed.
Wide rubber band works. Roll it down onto your ankle when your get off the bike.

gallagher

You must be one long legged SOB or something. I've never had this problem even on longer treks. Are you riding through gunk or oiling up the chain excessively before a ride? Are you certain it's the chain?

I'll be quite interested to hear the results.
I stopped in my dealer who sold me the bike and talked to them about it and he looked over another FZ6R they had on the show room floor and he said "Yep, there is huge gap there with a lot of open chain, that's the problem..."

So, it's definitely the gap, he suggested creating some sort of guard for it. Anyone know where you can buy such a thing? I'd rather purchase one factory premade or something like that... I don't know if such a thing exists, let me know. Thanks!

columbus2382

i dont know about those look kinda silly to me

columbus2382

i think i would be laughing my ass off if i saw someone wearing those

dolfan

Attachments

amg14

im 6'2 and wear a 34 length jean and the inside of my left pant leg is getting sucked up into the chain consistently. i have worn three different jeans, all boot-cut design though, and the same thing keeps happening. the first time it happened it freaked me out. im going to have to figure out a way to put a guard panel to cover that exposed chain or use a bobby pin to cinch my pant leg down. pita...:mad:

Attachments

Sparkxx1

im 6'2 and wear a 34 length jean and the inside of my left pant leg is getting sucked up into the chain consistently. i have worn three different jeans, all boot-cut design though, and the same thing keeps happening. the first time it happened it freaked me out. im going to have to figure out a way to put a guard panel to cover that exposed chain or use a bobby pin to cinch my pant leg down. pita...:mad:
Make sure you do something about it quick. I would advise you to stop riding if you don't fix the problem. I've seen pictures of fingers that went through the chain/sprockets at idle. Not a pretty sight...

Dimefan

I had the same issue with shoe laces. I tucked mine in my shoe as well- had an incident riding a mountain bike years ago and didn't want to repeat it!

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

amg14

im still trying to get my hands on some alpinestars smx5 vented boots but for the time being i have been using a safety pin to attach the bottom of my inner pant leg to my shoe. no problems thus far. easy fix and better than a rubber band imo.

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member
Last edited:

Chucker

If you've got loose clothing or laces touching your chain, you're wearing the wrong gear or wearing it wrong, plain and simple. I wouldn't be worried about grease and damage to my gear. I'd be worried about the bigger mess if something really got grabbed good!

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

r0ar

I have this problem, anyone come up with a solution?
Dang brought back the dead thread haha. I'd say boot blouses would work , its been mentions all it does is keep your pants from moving away from your leg, we use them for our uniforms to keep the pants looking nice.

Invader Jim

i read a post here a while back about a guy who came to a stop at a light and while putting his left leg down, got his pants leg stuck somewhere down there and went down. lol and i just bought a pair of bootcut jeans an hour ago. they are pretty baggy down there. clearly they are not designed in the street bike spirit.
First year I was riding that happend to me although I did not go down. Pant leg got caught on foot peg as I went to put my foot down at a stop. Started to tip toward the side with the caught pant but was able to disengage the pant from the peg and get my foot down in time to keep the bike upright. It was a close call.