One thing you should know.

kmcg

Ok boys and girls , you can pass on one piece of motorcycling know how.What have you learned , the easy way or the hard way (ouch) Help us avoid the pitfalls , show us the little gems of insight that make riding the art that it should be.Go fast, be safe.

Brock Kickass

I was told this one when I used to race peewee motocross:

Good speed follows good form. If you want to be fast, don't concentrate on improving your speed; concentrate on improving your skill, your technique, and your awareness, and the speed will come naturally. If you concentrate on going fast, you will probably get in over your head and crash.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Maadi

An oldie but a goodie

Ride like you are invisible. It will give you the correct frame of mind to be prepared for the stupid things people do on the road that might get you killed.

RoadTrip

Buzzards feasting on roadkill are unpredictable, they often fly right across your path at the last minute, not necessarily away from you - slow down when approaching them, I almost had my head taken off one time, his wing even hit the bike.

Fizzer6R

just about any bike is more capable than you are a rider. if you go in too hot into a corner, try not to panic and not stand the bike up. get off the brakes and lean lean and then lean more, you may still make it through to the other side

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Roaddawg

Look way ahead down the road and always give yourself an out...that way you'll see that mattress, 2x4 or tire tread well before. And, if you can't see far enough ahead...slow down.

CtrlAltDl

Avoid 'target fixation', look where you want to go, DON'T look at what you want to avoid.

I especially like this one:
always give yourself an out

BKP

If you're cornering left, *consciously* relax your right arm. It should all be counter-steer with the left. Otherwise, they'll battle each other for control...

JonKerr

Elite Member

milepig

just about any bike is more capable than you are a rider. if you go in too hot into a corner, try not to panic and not stand the bike up. get off the brakes and lean lean and then lean more, you may still make it through to the other side
To hot into a corner resulted in my one and only crash. Did just what I shouldn't have done, panic brake, stood the bike up, crossed lanes, ended up in the ditch. Lucky for me it was a quite back road. What I learned I should have done was just what you stated, "get off the brakes and lean lean and then lean more" I'm positive I would have make that corner if I'd have just stuck with it!

buckwild

Ride like you are invisible. It will give you the correct frame of mind to be prepared for the stupid things people do on the road that might get you killed.
I think that guys with BLACK 6R's with STOCK exhaust systems, especially, need to LIVE with this as their montra.

I live in a tourist town full of (no offence) New York and Mass plate SUV's etc and EVERY DAY I go out in the summer I have a neer miss.

AND, I have a bright blue bike with blue underglows, they still don't look.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Roaddawg

I think that guys with BLACK 6R's with STOCK exhaust systems, especially, need to LIVE with this as their montra.

I live in a tourist town full of (no offence) New York and Mass plate SUV's etc and EVERY DAY I go out in the summer I have a neer miss.

AND, I have a bright blue bike with blue underglows, they still don't look.
Invisible....I live by this mantra, but why does this have to be a color thing?!? :) I don't think color or loud exhaust have very much, if all, to do with 'near misses'. I think lane position, staying out of blind spots, and riding defensively are way more effective. My headlight is brighter than your blue and underglows...plus, chics dig black! :D