Oil leaking underneath motorcycle..

jaewon90

This is the first time I have having this issue. I cannot tell exactly where the oil is leaking from? Has anyone else had this problem? I'm guessing it's leaking from the oil filter that I changed a couple weeks back, but I don't know why it would start leaking now?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
This is the first time I have having this issue. I cannot tell exactly where the oil is leaking from? Has anyone else had this problem? I'm guessing it's leaking from the oil filter that I changed a couple weeks back, but I don't know why it would start leaking now?
Can you take some high quality pictures of the oil filter and drain plug? Based on what you said it sounds like the gasket on the filter is bad but I would also look at the washer on the drain plug since that is a common culprit of oil leaks.

JSP

Super Moderator
Pictures... we need them. Do you see oil on the bike itself or just on the ground? How much? How is your oil level?

jaewon90

Ok so I woke up this morning and took these pictures.
I looks like its leaking from the bottom of the oil filter so I tightened it as much as I could. I thought it might have been because I put too much oil in it but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm going to take it for a very short ride to see if it still leaks after riding. Thanks guys. I appreciate you guys helping out.

Attachments

Last edited:

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
the way the filter is wet on the lip...I bet you have two oil filter gaskets on there....
That was going to be my next Q. Did the old oil filter gasket stay on the motor and now you have 2 gaskets which is a NO NO...

Pull the oil filter off. You will only loose a little oil I believe. Or if you have the old oil filter, inspect it as well.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

xjae1x

I think the oil filter was just a little loose. I hand tightened it as much as possible and it seemed to have stopped the leaking. It hasn't leaked in the last couple days. Thanks guys. I'll let you know if I ever experience any other issues.

buzzbomb

Elite Member