Oil from Vent Tube

tractorboy

I know I know Thats what its for but......
I seem to be burping a little bit here and there. On the east coast where its VERY HOT but just not sure if anyone else has seen/had this.

Shes running fine and just changed the oil and still doing it. just a small about but still...Shes NEVER dumped anything before...now does it after every ride.

Thanks.

dannymac702

Dont think the heat has anything to do with it. Never had any "drippage" here in the desert. (rode 280 hard miles recently with temps about 110)

elderproctor

Me too

Last week, my husband changed the oil and I did my weekend riding as usual. When I came home and parked her, I noticed the leak which was very minimal. I was concerned as well, so... is this normal?

Stricken

Yes it is normal:cool:

JSP

Super Moderator
I've never seen any drip out of mine. Here in OR or in VA. But it is normal to have some....

DanielW0830

a drip comes out every 2 or three rides for me. I'm not concerned.

tractorboy

Ok....Im not killer concerned...more curious as Ive never really seen a bike Burp a little bit on a continuous basis. Again its VERY Small but just funny.

I know its all connected to the oil breather system/crankcase vent so.......like on a car.

Thanks..just curious.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
When you did the oil change, did you overfill it?

Anyway, a little leakage is fine, I have seen it as well. Nothing to be concerned with.

72racer

Elite Member

nashvillenobody

I would have guessed overfilling the oil as well... I drive mine 2 or 3 days a week 60 miles to work and 60 back, never had a "burp"...

Superfly

Do you tend to downshift from high gears to low ones without blipping the throttle. If so you might be pumping out oil as the engine is driven by the gearbox up to the higher RPM. You can also get oil being burned off past the valve guides or the rings by doing this aswell...cant remember where i heard this...

Last edited:

Superfly

Well I just had oil come out of the vent today for the first time that I've seen it. And I know what I did to get it to happen.

I was almost at a buddy's house and he's at the top of a long straight hill so I went all the way to red line in 3rd gear with full throttle then just cut the throttle and let the engine compression bring me down in speed to about 4000 rpm from 11000rpm. Then parked the bike immediately after and shut it off. 30mins later I see oil dripping out.

I never rev the engine up and then just cut the throttle to idle...but I did it this time and got oil to vent. I'm guessing that kind of driving is the main reason and not overfilling. Maybe someone else could explain better than me why this happens. Something to do with engine vaccum under deceleration...

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member
W

whatever

powerband ?

at what rpm does the bike stop pulling at..... hoping it's higher then 9 rpm.

Bigevildoer

I know I know Thats what its for but......
I seem to be burping a little bit here and there. On the east coast where its VERY HOT but just not sure if anyone else has seen/had this.

Shes running fine and just changed the oil and still doing it. just a small about but still...Shes NEVER dumped anything before...now does it after every ride.
Sure that it's oil and not gas?
I've had mine vent some gas onto my driveway after a hot ride and fill up.

My FZ6R dripped/vented when it was hot, filled with gas and parked - i.e. filling up 2km from home after a hot day/ride and parking it. Also vents a bit if left in direct sunlight on a 33c + day if the tank is full.