Oil Filter Must Be Glued On. Help!!

Ok, so my bike is due for an oil change and am having incredible issues with the filter. Ive ridden whenever its above 20 but since its in the singles so my bike hasnt just been sitting more than a week at a time. Finally got the oil filter i ordered and went and got oil today from AAP. Draining the oil went smoothly but when i going to use my oil filter strap wrench, the filter was covered in a thick, black grease. Tried to put sand paper for better grip even after soaping and washing the filter... Wouldn't come off... Plus due to clearance issues, i wasn't able to get enough strength on the filter anyway... Hour and a half later, ive tried many options without damaging the filter and nothing is working... Finally decided to put a screw driver through the filter suggestion and i ended up making the hole bigger in the filter and bending my screw driver meanwhile the filter has yet to budge... :banghead:

Any suggestions? And before anyone rants to use the search feature, there are many suggestions but none of them further explain after the screw driver trick doesn't work. Any suggestions are really greatly appreciated!! :)

knightmare

You got me.... The first oil change Is always the hardest to take off... On my wife's ninja 300 I was amazed of how hard it was to take off.... After hours I finally stuck a big *** screw driver through the middle getting oil everywhere... After man handling it for a few minutes it came off...

Maybe if ur able to get a oil filter cap style wrench from any auto parts store....

Good luck man....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmw675

If your screwdriver bent, you probably weren't using a big enough screw driver. You'll probably have to make a couple holes as there isn't a lot of room for "travel" when using that tactic. And the filter will tear, like you said, until it initially gets broken free.

Just make sure you are punching the holes far enough out, so that you don't hit the male threads on the mounting block.

Riccochet

My first change was the same. Filter would not budge. Wound up using a cap style socket and a impact gun to break it free.

ylwf3vr

My first change was the same. Filter would not budge. Wound up using a cap style socket and a impact gun to break it free.
Yep I used the cap style socket too and also a breaker bar. Put all my weight into it to get it free

Y

yellowfz

Had to use a medium pair of channellocks, could just get the jaws on the filter (I think I turned them sideways) and was able to twist it off in small turns at a time, screwdriver tore the filter up. The factory oil filters have a o-ring and need to be tightened tightly to keep from leaking, a good ole automotive filter (there is a list on the site somewhere) with the larger/thicker rubber ring seals without torquing it to death, in fact a good hand tightened will work most times.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member
Have you tried using a belt? Leather belt preferred, I use one to take off all oil filters on my cars. I understand a motorcycle may be different w/clearances though. Its worth a shot.:D

Y

yellowfz

Have you tried using a belt? Leather belt preferred, I use one to take off all oil filters on my cars. I understand a motorcycle may be different w/clearances though. Its worth a shot.:D
Have you taken yours off yet? Let us know if it works when you do.
I tried a device that has a strap similar to what you are implying and it would not hold enough to get the filter off.
Let us know.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
first oil change is a mother ****er!!!!!!

as long as you buy a filter w the nut a the end you are set for the future
The funny/wierd thing is my bike has 6.5k miles on it. I bought it used with a little over 3k. My deepest fear is this is the factory filter but im crossing my fingers whoever previously owned the bike didnt put motor oil on the gasket. The oil didnt look horrible for 6k miles so im not too worried.

I ordered a socket cap thing for my bike and itll be here the 16th. When it gets here, im gonna try to slip a fine razor into the crack between the block and the filter and cut the gasket so it should be easier. Ill post the results whenever i can.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Sparkxx1

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-Oil-Filter-Tool/dp/B0002SR4Q8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1389434740&sr=8-5&keywords=adjustable+oil+filter+wrench]Amazon.com: Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool: Automotive[/ame]

You guys should try to buy something like that. Even if it takes 2-3 days to come in the oil filter comes out in about 5 seconds and saves you the hassle of manhandling it. At least thats how it worked for me. It's worth the PITA!!! I used that exact one too. I bought it at an autozone though.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

SixRFixR

but im crossing my fingers whoever previously owned the bike didnt put motor oil on the gasket.
Why? Isn't fresh oil on the gasket standard procedure? It always has been for me anyway.

Once you get the factory filter off, the one you put on won't be as tight, so you really don't need the filter with a nut on the end. A 65mm end cap wrench popped my factory filter off cleanly, though with a pretty good lean on a long ratchet.

Why? Isn't fresh oil on the gasket standard procedure? It always has been for me anyway.
Sorry, my fault. I meant to say i hope he did put motor oil on the gasket.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

rregal

Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool

I use this tool also. I highly recommend it. It's compact enough to remove the filter without removing the fairing and doesn't take up much room in the toolbox. Use it with a 3/8 ratchet socket wrench handle and short extension. The jaws grips harder the more torque applied

Amazon.com: Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool: Automotive

You guys should try to buy something like that. Even if it takes 2-3 days to come in the oil filter comes out in about 5 seconds and saves you the hassle of manhandling it. At least thats how it worked for me. It's worth the PITA!!! I used that exact one too. I bought it at an autozone though.