Now it is COLD

Btown647

man I looked at your forcast and its not that cold if Buford, GA hahah!

In Tacoma WA the temps were 10-20 degrees colder and I dont even think its cold yet haha!
See its funny because I’m originally from Wisconsin and go back to Michigan 2 a year to snowmobile and I can do that for hours in a t-shirt and shorts. But something about sunny and clear outside just makes it seem like it should be warm. +if you have been paying attention the last 14 days went 11 days strait rain 39” in total 2 days at 85 and now its 50 screw this, but I don’t have a cage to protect me even if I wanted too.

yoshi

45 degrees this morning on my ride into work. Thermals, wool socks, and some decent gloves made it bearable. Still more fun than driving to work!

jdesiano1

People have suggested heated grips. Please elaborate, what size are our bars? What brand? Did you get the ones that go under your grip or wrap around them? Any one use a heated vest?

JSP

Super Moderator
People have suggested heated grips. Please elaborate, what size are our bars? What brand? Did you get the ones that go under your grip or wrap around them? Any one use a heated vest?
I believe our bars are 7/8. I used the heaters that go under your existing grips. (Trackside grip heaters).

Cycle Gear - TRACKSIDE: Grip Heaters,

jdesiano1

Also as for underarmour please remember... My husband and I bought level 3 the warmest (pants and longsleeve shirts) Underarmour is made to keep body heat in, your body creates heat when moving. You do not create much heat sitting on a motorcycle. Yes I love the stuff but it does not keep you as warm as one might like to believe if you are sitting still.

BluePill

Anyone use a heated vest? What wattage will our bike support?
Read somewhere (I think it was a review because I can't find it on the Yami website) that it was 380 watts at 5000RPM. Sounds about right, because my WR250R is 350@5000 rpm. Figure maximum for lighting, ignition, and fuel injection is 150 watts, that leaves at least 200 for other equipment. WR250R owners have reported on ADVRider forum that they have no problem with grips, gloves and vests all on.

My choice for 25 to 45F riding is:

Lower - Long thermal underwear, covered by shin and knee armor (protects from wind as well as a fall), then flannel-lined bluejeans, then snowmobile suit.

Upper - Regular or thermal undershirt, heavy flannel shirt, then medium-weight insulated vest (from 25-35F), then snowmobile suit.

Hands - Insulated gloves (Mittens are warmer, but produce a feeling of less control) with electric glove liners. I haven't tried heated grips, but I always found the back of my hands getting colder than my palms, so I expect that grips alone wouldn't help that much. I went for the heated liners rather than the heated gloves so that I could use different gloves if I wanted. Turned out to be a good idea when I slid out on black ice last winter and ruined my outer gloves.

Feet - Long synthetic ski socks above 35 deg., add heavy wool socks below.

Head - Silk balaclava, wool scarf if windy or below 35 deg.

Got the snowmobile suit through an Amazon.com vendor for about $65. Brand-name suits (Ski-doo, etc.) run alot more $$$.

Two last thoughts: Avoid salt-covered roads. Lots of parts on a bike are not protected well from corrosion. One Winter's riding on my WR250R proved this.

Traction on cold pavement with cold tires is much less than Summertime.